Droid Mandatory Data Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

k16tuck

Reaction score
Someone please clarify ... I understand that Droid equals Data plan and thats fine. I currently have LG Voyager and have unlimited data. Im upset that it seems i cannot apply my plan and current rates to the Droid even though i have unlimited data already. The problem i see is that i do not pay $29.99 for it and I assume verizon would like me to start when i switch to the droid...Anyone else successful in doing this switch avoiding the new 30 dollar data plan?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone please clarify ... I understand that Droid equals Data plan and thats fine. I currently have LG Voyager and have unlimited data. Im upset that it seems i cannot apply my plan and current rates to the Droid even though i have unlimited data already. The problem i see is that i do not pay $29.99 for it and I assume verizon would like me to start when i switch to the droid...Anyone else successful in doing this switch avoiding the new 30 dollar data plan?

No one would be successful the 30$ a month is mandatory.

xjman349

Reaction score

No one would be successful the 30$ a month is mandatory.

This is 100% its not possible. The system we use will not allow a droid to be active without that PDA/Smartphone plan.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think the Voyager uses the $10/month plan, not the $30/month plan for smartphones.

There's really no way to get out of the $30/month plan, if there was, we'd all have done it a long time ago.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Think of the LG Voyager as a Prius and the Droid as an Escalade. You're going to use a lot more gas with the Escalade. Same thing with a Droid, so you'll be using more data hence the data plan.:)

dmo580

Reaction score
lol that's just how Verizon operates. In most parts of the world, data is data. For example I have the Milestone, an unknown phone to AT&T. Thank goodness for GSM and slipping in SIM cards because with my Milestone I still pay $15/month.

Think of the LG Voyager as a Prius and the Droid as an Escalade. You're going to use a lot more gas with the Escalade. Same thing with a Droid, so you'll be using more data hence the data plan.:)

That's just Verizon's justification. And it's enforceable only because we have to buy phones from the carrier. Unlocked phones are not an option.

Mojo

Reaction score
^^^^^^I think that Bill summed it up pretty good^^^^^^

Your Voyager is not a smartphone, thus not requiring a Smartphone data plan. This is nothing new. Verizon has even done away with the "connect" and "premium" plans they used to offer as well. So if you do not need a smart phone and are still on that type of plan you can stay with a 3G muitimedia device such as a Envy Touch or Samsung Rouge and keep your current data plan. As you will be grandfathered in... However all new customers wanting 3G mutimedia devices are now required to pay the same $29.99 for unlimited data on those phones. Just like a smartphone. VZW has had the 29.99 unlimited data for smartphones for quite some time now... probably even had them when you got your Voyager.

IcyDroid

Reaction score
Everyone here has pretty much summed it up well about the required $30 data plan for pda/smartphones. Just wait until Verizon starts their tiered data plans, haha.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With all the answers here correct. This htread is :closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.