Droid Mandatory Data Plans

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by k16tuck, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k16tuck

k16tuck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone please clarify ... I understand that Droid equals Data plan and thats fine. I currently have LG Voyager and have unlimited data. Im upset that it seems i cannot apply my plan and current rates to the Droid even though i have unlimited data already. The problem i see is that i do not pay $29.99 for it and I assume verizon would like me to start when i switch to the droid...Anyone else successful in doing this switch avoiding the new 30 dollar data plan?

2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    No one would be successful the 30$ a month is mandatory.

3. xjman349

xjman349 Member

Ratings:
    +0

This is 100% its not possible. The system we use will not allow a droid to be active without that PDA/Smartphone plan.

4. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the Voyager uses the $10/month plan, not the $30/month plan for smartphones.

There's really no way to get out of the $30/month plan, if there was, we'd all have done it a long time ago.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Think of the LG Voyager as a Prius and the Droid as an Escalade. You're going to use a lot more gas with the Escalade. Same thing with a Droid, so you'll be using more data hence the data plan.:)

6. dmo580

dmo580 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol that's just how Verizon operates. In most parts of the world, data is data. For example I have the Milestone, an unknown phone to AT&T. Thank goodness for GSM and slipping in SIM cards because with my Milestone I still pay $15/month.

That's just Verizon's justification. And it's enforceable only because we have to buy phones from the carrier. Unlocked phones are not an option.

7. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^^^^^^I think that Bill summed it up pretty good^^^^^^

Your Voyager is not a smartphone, thus not requiring a Smartphone data plan. This is nothing new. Verizon has even done away with the "connect" and "premium" plans they used to offer as well. So if you do not need a smart phone and are still on that type of plan you can stay with a 3G muitimedia device such as a Envy Touch or Samsung Rouge and keep your current data plan. As you will be grandfathered in... However all new customers wanting 3G mutimedia devices are now required to pay the same $29.99 for unlimited data on those phones. Just like a smartphone. VZW has had the 29.99 unlimited data for smartphones for quite some time now... probably even had them when you got your Voyager.

8. IcyDroid

IcyDroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone here has pretty much summed it up well about the required $30 data plan for pda/smartphones. Just wait until Verizon starts their tiered data plans, haha.

9. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With all the answers here correct. This htread is :closed_2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

expand data plan android