Droid + Lucas Films?

djh074

Reaction score
has anybody seen this? in the new Droid X commercial(the mobile hotspot one), in small print at bottom, it says" Droid is a registered trademark of Lucas Films Ltd." does anyone know anything about this? what are they refering to?

WyoLars

Reaction score
LFL has a trademark on the word DROID. Verizon and the phone makers have come to an agreement to use the word.

Nothing new, the Moto Droid has the same thing on it.

OP
djh074

djh074

Reaction score
LFL has a trademark on the word DROID. Verizon and the phone makers have come to an agreement to use the word.

Nothing new, the Moto Droid has the same thing on it.

huh, good answer! makes sense to me.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I love how you can trademark a word. Not that i don't love Lucas and Star Wars but it's a silly concept. By the way the word "concept" is now owned by me.. don't use it

WyoLars

Reaction score
There is a difference, while I agree it's silly. Star Wars was the first to use the term 'Droid'. Sure its short for Android. But 'concept' is already in the common.

Lucas is a master of marketing/protecting his products.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I love how you can trademark a word. Not that i don't love Lucas and Star Wars but it's a silly concept. By the way the word "concept" is now owned by me.. don't use it

Kind of like how someone on another forum said that the lower case "i" is copywrited by Apple. I posted that it wasn't. They posted something like "I will google before replying" comic. So I did and posted the supidness of how everyone who is a fanboy uses the lower case "i'. [sorry icculus, if it is true, you'll need to change your screen name... or is that only if the 'i' is before an upper case letter...]

There is a difference, while I agree it's silly. Star Wars was the first to use the term 'Droid'. Sure its short for Android. But 'concept' is already in the common.

Lucas is a master of marketing/protecting his products.

I could understand that. In a way. But it will probably become like Xerox (which doesn't mean brand name anymore but a copy machine) or Kleenex, which means tissue not a brand name... and iPod which means MP3 player (trust me everyone uses that term... except me, I have a SanDisk Fuze when not using my Droid*) And people like me won't realize it even though I knew the connection.
Deb

* Droid is a registered trademark of Lucas Films Ltd.

Last edited:

WyoLars

Reaction score
This is going on longer then it needs..

You cant sell something with the Name Xerox or a product named Kleenex, yes these names are used in common speech. But you cant sell a product by that name.