Droid Landscape mode...troubles anyone?

butch350

Reaction score
I've notice now that the droid will only go into landscape mode only with the keyboard open. When I first recieved this phone it would go into landscape mode w/o the keyboard being opened.

Now when I open the keyboard and put the droid into landscape mode it remains in landscape mode and won't go back into portrait mode unless I manually force it.

Some say it only goes into LS mode when the keyboard is open - but I remember it going into LS mode W/O the keyboard being open.

What up wit dat?!

CDB

Reaction score
I have one of the first models made and swear my homescreen used to rotate without the keyboard being pulled out. Then one day it stopped. Now I'm forced into using an effin 'home replacement' app for one feature that I know used to be there.

It's retarded that the homescreen doesn't rotate, yet all other included apps (except the phone) do rotate without the keyboard being out. Makes total sense to me...

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola has said that the homescreen is only supposed to go into landscape mode when the keyboard is opened. When the phone was first released, some people said their phones were going into landscape mode with opening the keyboard. Either way, this "issue" was fixed and the phone no longer does this.

exisbest

Reaction score
Mine did this yesterday. My best friend is a tech for Verizon. There is only 2 things that it can be. If you go into the settings/sound & display and under the display settings you will see "orientation". make sure that box is checked. That turns off every once and a while. If that doesnt fix your problem then they told me that it is a known issue and the software upgrade that is coming out in the next 2 weeks is going to fix it. I think that part of it was bull****. I think they just didnt know what to do or say so they said that. But I had your same problem and then when I went to this setting it was unchecked for no reason. I bet that will fix your problem. Let me know how you make out.

scottl

Reaction score
Mine started doing the same thing a few days ago. I powered it off, pulled the battery, and then restarted it...now it is working just like before.

Good luck.

OP
butch350

butch350

Reaction score
Mine did this yesterday. My best friend is a tech for Verizon. There is only 2 things that it can be. If you go into the settings/sound & display and under the display settings you will see "orientation". make sure that box is checked. That turns off every once and a while. If that doesnt fix your problem then they told me that it is a known issue and the software upgrade that is coming out in the next 2 weeks is going to fix it. I think that part of it was bull****. I think they just didnt know what to do or say so they said that. But I had your same problem and then when I went to this setting it was unchecked for no reason. I bet that will fix your problem. Let me know how you make out.

Your right! But I did check the box when I first got the phone - but I may have unchecked while playing around the phone's settings.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The phone never rotated to landscape with the keyboard closed. There have been numerous threads all claiming the same thing. Motorola has stated that the Droid was never designed to do so.
Anyone experiencing this is mistaken, or has a home replacement installed. Stock Android OS did not/does not rotate to landscape on the home screen with the keyboard closed.

OP
butch350

butch350

Reaction score
The phone never rotated to landscape with the keyboard closed. There have been numerous threads all claiming the same thing. Motorola has stated that the Droid was never designed to do so.
Anyone experiencing this is mistaken, or has a home replacement installed. Stock Android OS did not/does not rotate to landscape on the home screen with the keyboard closed.

Mine does - it's doing it now. When i hit the browser icon, google comes
up in LandScape mode and now will not go back into portrait when I rotate the phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

up in LandScape mode and now will not go back into portrait when I rotate the phone.
I have a solution for you. And the browser is not the home screen :)

It's a setting in your browser... open the browser... menu > more > settings > disable 'landscape only display'.

OP
butch350

butch350

Reaction score

I have a solution for you. And the browser is not the home screen :)

It's a setting in your browser... open the browser... menu > more > settings > disable 'landscape only display'.

Hey Thanks! (?)...The Droid will go into LS mode W/O the keyboard being opened, because my will go into LS without the keyboard open.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have a home replacement installed?
It's only in reference to the home screen, as soon as you click on an app it can rotate to landscape... the stock Android OS, on the home screen... again... doesn't rotate to landscape.

M

Matth3w

My only complaint is that sometimes the phone goes into landscape when it shouldn't. For example, if I have my phone sitting on the desk in front of me completely straight up and down as I would hold it in my hand, sometimes it goes to landscape.

I'm sure this has more to do with a lack of understanding on my part as to why it would go to landscape than it does a bug or problem.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My only complaint is that sometimes the phone goes into landscape when it shouldn't. For example, if I have my phone sitting on the desk in front of me completely straight up and down as I would hold it in my hand, sometimes it goes to landscape.

I'm sure this has more to do with a lack of understanding on my part as to why it would go to landscape than it does a bug or problem.
Mine does this too... I find it only happens when I receive a text and the phone 'vibrates'. My guess is that the vibration is some how interfering with the accelerometer... just a guess though.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I bought 2 droids on opening day and they have never gone into landscape mode on the stock home screens unless the keyboard was open. As martin said, we are talking about the stock home screens. I challenge someone to make a video of this actually happening.