1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Landscape mode...troubles anyone?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by butch350, Jan 28, 2010.

1. butch350

butch350 New Member

I've notice now that the droid will only go into landscape mode only with the keyboard open. When I first recieved this phone it would go into landscape mode w/o the keyboard being opened.

Now when I open the keyboard and put the droid into landscape mode it remains in landscape mode and won't go back into portrait mode unless I manually force it.

Some say it only goes into LS mode when the keyboard is open - but I remember it going into LS mode W/O the keyboard being open.

What up wit dat?!
  2. CDB

CDB New Member

I have one of the first models made and swear my homescreen used to rotate without the keyboard being pulled out. Then one day it stopped. Now I'm forced into using an effin 'home replacement' app for one feature that I know used to be there.

It's retarded that the homescreen doesn't rotate, yet all other included apps (except the phone) do rotate without the keyboard being out. Makes total sense to me...
  3. jinxygrrl

jinxygrrl New Member

Your droid's have some issues. Mine goes into landscape (and out again) anytime I want it to.

hmmmm.....
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Motorola has said that the homescreen is only supposed to go into landscape mode when the keyboard is opened. When the phone was first released, some people said their phones were going into landscape mode with opening the keyboard. Either way, this "issue" was fixed and the phone no longer does this.
  5. exisbest

exisbest New Member

Mine did this yesterday. My best friend is a tech for Verizon. There is only 2 things that it can be. If you go into the settings/sound & display and under the display settings you will see "orientation". make sure that box is checked. That turns off every once and a while. If that doesnt fix your problem then they told me that it is a known issue and the software upgrade that is coming out in the next 2 weeks is going to fix it. I think that part of it was bull****. I think they just didnt know what to do or say so they said that. But I had your same problem and then when I went to this setting it was unchecked for no reason. I bet that will fix your problem. Let me know how you make out.
  6. scottl

scottl New Member

Mine started doing the same thing a few days ago. I powered it off, pulled the battery, and then restarted it...now it is working just like before.

Good luck.
  7. butch350

butch350 New Member

Your right! But I did check the box when I first got the phone - but I may have unchecked while playing around the phone's settings.
  8. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

The phone never rotated to landscape with the keyboard closed. There have been numerous threads all claiming the same thing. Motorola has stated that the Droid was never designed to do so.
    Anyone experiencing this is mistaken, or has a home replacement installed. Stock Android OS did not/does not rotate to landscape on the home screen with the keyboard closed.
  9. butch350

butch350 New Member

Mine does - it's doing it now. When i hit the browser icon, google comes
    up in LandScape mode and now will not go back into portrait when I rotate the phone.
  10. Martin030908

I have a solution for you. And the browser is not the home screen :)

It's a setting in your browser... open the browser... menu > more > settings > disable 'landscape only display'.
  11. butch350

butch350 New Member

Hey Thanks! (?)...The Droid will go into LS mode W/O the keyboard being opened, because my will go into LS without the keyboard open.
  12. Martin030908

Do you have a home replacement installed?
    It's only in reference to the home screen, as soon as you click on an app it can rotate to landscape... the stock Android OS, on the home screen... again... doesn't rotate to landscape.
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    My only complaint is that sometimes the phone goes into landscape when it shouldn't. For example, if I have my phone sitting on the desk in front of me completely straight up and down as I would hold it in my hand, sometimes it goes to landscape.

I'm sure this has more to do with a lack of understanding on my part as to why it would go to landscape than it does a bug or problem.
  14. Martin030908

Mine does this too... I find it only happens when I receive a text and the phone 'vibrates'. My guess is that the vibration is some how interfering with the accelerometer... just a guess though.
  15. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

I bought 2 droids on opening day and they have never gone into landscape mode on the stock home screens unless the keyboard was open. As martin said, we are talking about the stock home screens. I challenge someone to make a video of this actually happening.
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

There were tons of people reporting that their phones were going into landscape mode without opening the keyboard. Mine never did it (and I have gone through a few Droids since the day it was released). Here is the support thread on this topic over at the Motorola Owner's Forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16334?start=0&tstart=0

Here is a picture from that thread of someone's phone in landscape mode with the keyboard closed:

[​IMG]
  17. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

I have seen that photo before. I could photo shop something of that quality in about 30 seconds. I can also crack open my keyboard a bit and take a bad photo at that angle and get the same result. I want to see a video.
  18. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Why would 30 some odd pages of people report the same problem? My phone never did it, but I have no reason to think that hundreds of people are making this up. Unless you work for Motorola, I don't think you can say this never happened on other people's phones.
  19. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Wait, so the phone isn't supposed to go into landscape mode if the keyboard is closed? Mine does that.
  20. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I can take a video of it going into landscape with the keyboard closed if someone wants to see it...
Search tags for this page
android browser doesn't go landscape
android not going landscape
droid phone only has display when keyboard is open
how do i get my phone off of landscape when using browser
how do i make my android browser only do portrait mode

how to fix android showing landscape only

motorola droid always goes to landscape when connecting to i

my browser is on landscape mode

my motorola droid razr wont go back into portrait mode
phone only show landscape browser
why does android app open in landscape mode