Droid Key Backlight

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by kastj, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kastj

kastj New Member

The backlight from the bottom keys "bleeds" on to the touchscreen. I think this is just a widespread issue with a droid since I have look at about 5 and they all do the same thing. Once the backlight turns off there is no more bleed. However, the backlight only turns off when there is plenty of light around. This is a problem when trying to watch a video in a dark room since the backlight becomes annoying really quick.. This is my 2nd droid and my 1st one turned the backlight off after a while but this one doesn't. Am I missing something?
  2. kastj

kastj New Member

Come on guys... Almost a 100 views but not a single reply. Does no one know what I am referring to or is this an issue no one has figured out how to solve?
  3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

it shouldn't, there is more than enough space from the keys to the touchscreen. Probably got a bad Droid
  4. kastj

kastj New Member

Thanks, I will go talk to verizon about it tomorrow.
  5. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

kastj, I noticed that i can see the lights for the bottom keys if i tilt my droid like I'm trying to look down into the bottm (if that makes any sense.) None of it "bleeds" out onto the screen though. Good luck!
  6. blue rocket

blue rocket Official DF Vendor Premium Member

i exchanged mine yesterday because of dust under the screen. My bottom keys on the droid i returned were not evenly lit and were more of a purply color than white. My new droid has a white/grayish glow that is very even. Something that would never have bothered me...but now that i have a new droid am happy that I did exchange it. The LED lighting bleeds a bit out, but nothing that bothers me at all.
  7. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

any way to manually turn off the bottom lights?
  8. synctek

synctek New Member

Theres no way to manually toggle on/off but the seetings under display will change the way the lights act - just not for the better IMO. I am more concerned that they turn off when I am in low light and have to guess when trying to hit the back button. Maybe someone can design a widget to control those D@MN lights??
  9. shademar

shademar New Member

Mine does this. The bleed is only on the right side and viewable from a dead-on non-tilted angle. I went to verizon and they told me they'd 'find out if it was a known issue' and email me back. Of course, they never did. The bleed bugs me persistently, but it's the only issue I have with the phone. I'm really not sure what to do about it, although I'm tempted to at least go back to vz and tell them their cs leaves something to be desired...
  10. synctek

synctek New Member

I would tell them you want a new phone - or try another VZ store. There is a thin sheet between the lights and the screen and it seems that it is a bit crinkled for lack of a better term. If you could remove the screen, I bet it could be straightened out but it should not bleed as you say.....mine doesn't and neither does the 5 display models at any of the VZ stores and kiosks I have been to.
  11. WhiskeySix

WhiskeySix New Member

tip: to turn on the lights for the back/menu/home/search buttons just tap the camera-shutter button!
  12. synctek

synctek New Member

Thx for the tip Whiskey!! It would be better if the lights would just come on when you touch the screen like every other touch screen on the market. If any of you programmers/app developers are listening or Verizon folks or Gods, wizards, wiches, wickens....can somebody please develope an update to make the stupid !@#$!@#$ lights come on when you touch the screen?? If so, you will have solved the only MAJOR issue I have with this phone and I will then be at peace :clap:
  13. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

Mine aren't either. Did they deem that a defect? I wasn't really worried about it as I've seen the same thing on multiple videos of other Droids. I figured I would be too picky to try and return it for that.
  14. synctek

synctek New Member

Do they ever come on? If not, that is bad and I would return it - defective.
  15. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

Who's post are you referencing?
  16. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

From what I can see, it's hard to get even lighting on the Droid. There are two bulbs on the right and left side that are fairly bright, it explains why your "back" and "search" keys are brighter than the "menu" and "home" keys.

I notice it a bit during the day, but at night, they appear even. It doesn't bother me at all, as long as the keys work and the light doesn't "bleed" onto the screen.
  17. shademar

shademar New Member

Mine are uneven, visible at a normal viewing angle, but no dice from vzw. They first didn't see a problem and acted incredulous that I did, and then the manager came out and showed me some phones that *didn't* have the problem while stating that that they did and it was common to all units. All-and-all a really frustrating experience, especially after my first attempt where they said they'd email me but didn't...I guess if you have a screen issue, they can just look at it, say "what screen issue?" and you're sol.

oh well. I decided to keep the phone because otherwise I love it. I'm completely annoyed at Verizon though (and going to another store isn't really possible for me.)

And on further thought,,,,I'm going to outright return it. If they won't exchange it, I'll cancel my data plan and jump back to my little LG dumbphone. (cringe) Wait the month out and see what gets released, then reconsider the droid in the new unit does not have the same problem,

This shouldn't reset the upgrade clock as I wouldn't have actually upgraded in the case. Right?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. synctek

synctek New Member

I misread your post - you said "My bottom keys on the droid i returned were not evenly lit"
    Thought is said not EVEN lit

My bad:icon_ devil:
  19. blue rocket

blue rocket Official DF Vendor Premium Member

my new droid is 100% evenly lit. My first one was not at all, but like I said it didnt really bother me. Now that i have one with perfectly evenly lit buttons...it is nice! Would i return it for just that...nah...but the dust under the screen killed me!
  20. Diaz3116

Diaz3116 New Member

msn video issues

I can't watch video on msn does anyone know why?Is there a upgrade coming soon
Search tags for this page
adjusting droid razrm backlight
android app change backlight button color

backlight color android

backlight color droid razr
can i change the color of my backlight on my phone

change backlight color on moto x

how do you change the backlight timer on droid razr
how to adjust backlight timer on droid razr m

how to change backlight color on droid

how to change backlight time on android

how to change color of backlight button in android