OK, I figured it out! I found this on a Google help page and it worked like a charm: "1) Mine was directly related to the number of labels in my gmail account, how many of them I am syncing up, and how MUCH I am syncing for each label. I can reliably get this thing to fail into No Connection mode. 2) The fix is straight forward, a bit of a pain, but works every tome for me. Seems like a bug, which means I am hoping for a fix in a future update. So, to get my "connection" back: 1) Go into the settings menu for the phone 2) Choose applications 3) Choose Manage Applications 4) Under Manage Applications set the Filter to ALL. Not sure why this isn't the default but c'est la vie. 5) Scroll down and choose GMail Storage 6) Tap the botton for Clear Data 7) Head on over into GMail and VOILA!"