Droid keeps restarting?

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I have wondered about the AV app. I have seen it mentioned in this forum before, and wondered about the usefulness....

Dirty

Reaction score
Wow, i was ready to brake my Droid, but i found this site and removed AV and my Droid works great now.

Thank you, thank you

ilikefishes

Reaction score
I too had this same problem on New Years Eve. What a time for this to happen. I must have missed a dozen calls and even more text messages. Spent several hours on the phone yesterday with Verizon who could not help me out at all. This forum rocks, thanks guys. Have a great 2010.

droid89

Reaction score
Also had rebooting problems

Have Motorola Droid w/Android 2.0.1. Had Antivirus installed. Ironically, after reading this thread, about New Years Eve the screen started turning dark and then locking in the middle of any task - IM'ing, writing an email, working in settings. It would consume the battery in two hours with no use at all. It would turn on and off on its own. It would lock and unlock on its own.

I uninstalled most every application except the Antivirus. Nothing helped. Removed battery. No help. Put in a support email to Verizon. Starting looking for Android forums for help. Then I came across this thread. I have uninstalled the Antivirus and will see of this works!

Thanks!

bbtkd

Reaction score
I have wondered about the AV app. I have seen it mentioned in this forum before, and wondered about the usefulness....

Well - obviously this was a major glitch, but before someone pipes up and again says that virus checkers are not needed on the Droid....

Yes, there have been no reported viruses on the Droid, and yes since Android is Linux based it may be more challenging for hackers to infest. That does not mean it won't happen, probably just a matter of time. Probably hasn't been done yet since it's much more satisfying - and easier - to infect thousands or millions of Windows based PC's.

So - you may want to wait for this virus checker to be improved, but eventually we will all need one. Don't presume you're safe just because it hasn't happened. That's like not buying homeowners insurance because you've never had a fire..

droid89

Reaction score
Uninstall of Antivirus worked, but now can't get other uninstalled programs back.

Just a followup note. I uninstalled the antivirus program and sure enough, no more problems.

But now all the other programs I uninstalled, I can't get back on my Droid. When I go to market to reinstall the apps, for some reason they still show as installed and the install buttons are grayed out.

KrazyAtes

Reaction score
Wish I had a chance to read this earlier...
I took mine back to Best Buy and they did a full factory restore.
I've got everything back on it, but damn, what a waste :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Just a followup note. I uninstalled the antivirus program and sure enough, no more problems.

But now all the other programs I uninstalled, I can't get back on my Droid. When I go to market to reinstall the apps, for some reason they still show as installed and the install buttons are grayed out.

How did you uninstall them?

crosstx

Reaction score
I dont think I got a AV update?
my droid seems to randomly restart especially after I have been in gallery. anyone else see this?

stevem

Reaction score
Yup, had the same problem since yesterday....
When texts did come through, it would show up multiple times (some showed up 10x!!)
I called Verizon this morning and was told to get it exchanged for a refurbished one at the store. Glad I saw this forum before going to the store cuz removing the AV app seems to have solved the problem so far....:icon_ banana:

Apharmd Battler

Reaction score
Wow, I've been struggling with my phone all day. I was about to head over to the local Verizon store tomorrow after church until I found this thread. I thought due to a power surge last night in my sub-divsion my Droin was fried while recharging, but my wife's phone was fine today while I had nothing but problems (laggy apps, hard restarts, Goggle voice search did not recognize microphone etc.). My battery drained twice today, and tonight while I was at a wedding and that was the last straw. I LOVE this phone and have been singing praises and today was the first time I've had any issue, so I did some searching and found this forum. I'm glad the community was able to track down the issue quickly. I just uninstalled AV and my Droid seems to be a lot better. I'll play with it more tonight before bed just to feel assured.

Thank you to all who've responded, it was very insightful and that Lookout program does appear to be more robust and a good way to have a nice backup utility as well. I think I'll be frequenting this forum on a daily basis from now on.

mcshady96

Reaction score
Just an idea:

1) open the keyboard

2) turn the phone over

3) remove the clear protective plastic piece that is behind the screen (it sits between the screen and keyboard when the keyboard is closed.)

I didn't see this there when I got my droid...my droid kept randomly resetting all of the sudden today...removing apps did nothing...I don't even have an antivirus software on my phone. When I removed this plastic protective shipping film, the issue stopped.

Hope its just as easy as this for others.

Mcshady

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just an idea:

1) open the keyboard

2) turn the phone over

3) remove the clear protective plastic piece that is behind the screen (it sits between the screen and keyboard when the keyboard is closed.)

I didn't see this there when I got my droid...my droid kept randomly resetting all of the sudden today...removing apps did nothing...I don't even have an antivirus software on my phone. When I removed this plastic protective shipping film, the issue stopped.

Hope its just as easy as this for others.

Mcshady

won't help

Cescott3rd

Reaction score
y2k

CRAP! I was just about to post about this same exact problem! The update I had was the antivirus one and about an hour ago my phone is restarting, I can't make any phone calls because when I try to it freezes then force closes, and now it's just being really annoying! could it be a y2k thing? Hopefully it gets better by tomorrow.

No, it can not be a y2k thing that was 10 years ago. and i do not have an antivirus app on mine and it started to do it today.
And i really don't know how removing a piece of plastic would help.

Last edited: