Droid just died!

Sea Lion Gal

Reaction score
My Droid was almost fully charged when I went to bed. I leave it on all the time as I don't have a land line. Woke up at 3 am and the screen was black. I pushed the power On, the M logo came up, and suddenly the phone made a Pfffft noise and died. It won't power On at all. Dead as a doornail. Took the battery out and put it back... nothing. Have it charging for ten minutes, and now it seems to be turning back on. Can a battery completely die in 6 hours with no use? And what was that noise? I think I'm gonna return it as defective when the store opens and ask for a replacement...:mad:

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
I would definitely return it. You shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement.

OP
Sea Lion Gal

Sea Lion Gal

Reaction score
Thanks... that weird loud noise that sounded like an electrical short tells me there is a big problem!

medicTHREE

Reaction score
THat noise wasn't a short. It is common in phones when they lose power. What 3rd party apps have you installed. Wifi? GPS? My guess is some process was running to drain it in a hurry. This happens. Thus why you should charge overnight. Whenever possible charge your droid. The batteries in these devices love to be topped off.

OP
Sea Lion Gal

Sea Lion Gal

Reaction score
Hmmm... interesting to know about the noise. My other verizon phone batteries have just silently died. I have GPS going, but not Wifi. Have minimal apps: google skymap, where, note everything, and vrecorder. Don't use music stuff at all. Running apps are: android keyboard, corporate calendar (don't use, but can't seem to get rid of it), and eas service. I top off battery all the time! Not sure why the battery suddenly died after after the same type of usage/charging for a week/

millerwf

Reaction score
phone died, maybe from cold - wont turn on.

My Verizon Droid keeps dying when I leave it in the car when it is cold (20 degrees F or so). Today it had the big one. When I returned to the car and "accessed" the phone it went into reset and now all it is really gone. I replace the battery and turn it on, the "M" appears then it keeps trying to go through the "droid" screen but never makes it. The screen is still powered up and about every 10 seconds the "droid" starts to appear but then the screen goes blank again. I'm on business travel and without the phone I'm struggling to make my contacts and appointments. I'm really frusterated.

iJroid

Reaction score
My Verizon Droid keeps dying when I leave it in the car when it is cold (20 degrees F or so). Today it had the big one. When I returned to the car and "accessed" the phone it went into reset and now all it is really gone. I replace the battery and turn it on, the "M" appears then it keeps trying to go through the "droid" screen but never makes it. The screen is still powered up and about every 10 seconds the "droid" starts to appear but then the screen goes blank again. I'm on business travel and without the phone I'm struggling to make my contacts and appointments. I'm really frusterated.

Extreme cold is bad bad bad. You could freeze your screen. Then it would be nothing but the cracked screen app for you.

Not good for batteries, either.

The car is a bad place for any device. Summer or winter.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm... interesting to know about the noise. My other verizon phone batteries have just silently died. I have GPS going, but not Wifi. Have minimal apps: google skymap, where, note everything, and vrecorder. Don't use music stuff at all. Running apps are: android keyboard, corporate calendar (don't use, but can't seem to get rid of it), and eas service. I top off battery all the time! Not sure why the battery suddenly died after after the same type of usage/charging for a week/

Usually when you hear that noise it is BAD. When the jailbroken iphone uses hear that sound it means their unit is about to explode because of the battery. I would take it bad immediately.