Droid Insurance? yay or nay?

adlx21

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am wondering if it is worth it to get Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month? If I DON'T get it and my phone has a problem with it (i.e: a key isn't working, screen won't lit, etc), am I screwed? If I do get it and I want to replace it cause of some faulty issue, will I get a brand new one, not refurb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

droidfannd

Reaction score
I just opted for the basic insurance, figuring most of that stuff will be covered during the normal warranty period. If something else goes out after that period...I'll accidentally dump the phone into my toilet or something and file a normal insurance claim.

mjs31

Reaction score
I get the one that covers damages and if it is stolen. If that is the one you reference then well worth it in my opion. Insurance is a must with todays smart phone IMHO...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The $7.99 one covers your warranty for months 13-24, that's the only difference between the $6 and the $7.99 plan. I figure if it's going to be a warranty issue, it will happen in the first year. I highly recommend having insurance at least for a few months because you just shelled out $299 for the phone and the price to get a replacement is a heck of a lot cheaper than having to pay full retail for another one if you don't have insurance and something happens to it.

You may or may not get a brand new phone with the insurance. Certified Like New phone's are not all that bad.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I note in the "similar threads" section of this thread, there are 5 threads with a total of more than 100 responses asking the same question.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am wondering if it is worth it to get Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month? If I DON'T get it and my phone has a problem with it (i.e: a key isn't working, screen won't lit, etc), am I screwed? If I do get it and I want to replace it cause of some faulty issue, will I get a brand new one, not refurb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Up to you. If you look at the costs it is cheaper to get the insurance than buy a new phone at retail/MSRP. So then you have to figure how 'likely' you are to need it. I for one have never had one of these phones last a full 2-yrs (or 18 months for early renewal). Now as for the manufactures/Verizons '1-yr warranty' that is only against defect, not "normal wear and tear" so MUCH of what you would claim for will be denied under that policy.

I just opted for the basic insurance, figuring most of that stuff will be covered during the normal warranty period. If something else goes out after that period...I'll accidentally dump the phone into my toilet or something and file a normal insurance claim.

Basic insurance does NOT cover water damage so don't drop it in the toilet (there is a small 'water-damage' sensor in the phone, if it gets wet you're screwed). The insurance DOES however cover you throwing the phone against the wall... why, I have no idea, but it does.

IMHO YES the insurance is worth it.

hipkik

Reaction score
Somethings like hardware failure would be covered under the warranty but its stolen/damaged paying that deductible beats 500 for a new phone..btw you'd probably get a refurb, I don't see why so many are picky about new/refurb

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I got my insurance with state farm for 37.00 a year for 2 droids and no deductable, covers everything and the difference i wait 3days for a check insted of overnight fedx of replacement phone.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Basic insurance does NOT cover water damage so don't drop it in the toilet (there is a small 'water-damage' sensor in the phone, if it gets wet you're screwed). The insurance DOES however cover you throwing the phone against the wall... why, I have no idea, but it does.
I would like to challenge you to show me where the VZW insurance does NOT cover for water damage. Truth is, it does cover water and physical damage. You might have this insurance confused with one that Best Buy offers...which is not the VZW one with Asurion.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would like to challenge you to show me where the VZW insurance does NOT cover for water damage. Truth is, it does cover water and physical damage. You might have this insurance confused with one that Best Buy offers...which is not the VZW one with Asurion.

I'll check on that then. I knew they use Asurion which AT&T does and when you read the fine print it is stated that water damage is 'excluded' from coverage. And I can confirm because when I had a claim for my old Tilt they asked over the phone if their was water damage and specifically stated that if "their was evidence of water damage I would be charged the full value of the replacement." I'll see if I can find a copy of the VZW plan with them. I know there was a site I was looking at the other night, I'll repost when I get a definite.

I got my insurance with state farm for 37.00 a year for 2 droids and no deductable, covers everything and the difference i wait 3days for a check insted of overnight fedx of replacement phone.

WAAAAA???? Really? I wonder if Farmers does that, I'll have to call them. That would save a LOT of money. Thanks for the tip.

triptych

Reaction score
Is your state farm policy for your droids by itself or added on to your homeowners/renters/car policy???

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Boy, someone is going to go after VZW and/or Asurion for false advertising:
http://www.phoneclaim.com/doc_list/doc_view/754-ALL_brochure?tmpl=component&format=raw
You'll see on the cover of the brochure that it says it covers "Liquid Damage" BUT if you read through the brochure on page 32 you'll find the VZW "extended warranty" informaion: Part B, Section IV, Item G excludes "Defects or damage due to spills of or immersion in food or liquid." I know from experience with Asurion that their coverage does NOT cover water/liquid damage (they make the perfectly clear when you file a damage claim). So if Asurion doesn't cover it, and the VZW "Extended Warranty" doesn't cover it I would say that it is not covered under the plan. Seems like someone would have an easy time in court with this given the statement to the contrary on the cover of the brochure.

If I'm wrong someone please set us straight (but I'm weird, I like written proof/policy to substantiate claims).

That said you can "loose the phone" (though I'm in no way advocating insurance fraud:icon_ devil:).

DDDroid

Reaction score
I choose the $7.99 plan simply because if the price of the phone and being it is so loaded with extras if something goes wrong it is covered. If it drops and breaks or I lose it it should be covered.

XterraJohn

Reaction score

Boy, someone is going to go after VZW and/or Asurion for false advertising:
http://www.phoneclaim.com/doc_list/doc_view/754-ALL_brochure?tmpl=component&format=raw
You'll see on the cover of the brochure that it says it covers "Liquid Damage" BUT if you read through the brochure on page 32 you'll find the VZW "extended warranty" informaion: Part B, Section IV, Item G excludes "Defects or damage due to spills of or immersion in food or liquid." I know from experience with Asurion that their coverage does NOT cover water/liquid damage (they make the perfectly clear when you file a damage claim). So if Asurion doesn't cover it, and the VZW "Extended Warranty" doesn't cover it I would say that it is not covered under the plan. Seems like someone would have an easy time in court with this given the statement to the contrary on the cover of the brochure.

If I'm wrong someone please set us straight (but I'm weird, I like written proof/policy to substantiate claims).

That said you can "loose the phone" (though I'm in no way advocating insurance fraud:icon_ devil:).

The way that I'm reading that brochure is that there is two different products being discussed, one being, "Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection," and the other being, "Verizon Wireless’ Extended Warranty." These two plans are bundled together for $7.99/mo., or, you can purchase them separately.

From Page 3:

"When purchased separately, Wireless Phone Protection is $4.49 (phones) or $6 (advanced devices) per month and Extended Warranty is $1.99 per month."

The prohibition against liquid damage being covered on page 39 appears to only be talking about the $1.99 extended warranty. If you bought the $7.99 bundle, I believe that you should be covered.

J

Johnly

Yay...naked users get the droid, those that bulk up are waiting for?????????