Droid Incredible System Update to ICS Help

gibbygibster

Reaction score
So I got a message on my phone saying that my phone was ready to be upgraded to 4.0 (which I believe is Ice Cream Sandwich). It downloads the update, I press the reboot and install button, it counts down 10 seconds, and nothing happens. If I go away from the screen or reboot the phone manually, the update literally disappears. Even when I go to "About Phone" and "System Update" it says that it is up to date. When I click on the software info it says I have 2.2. I tried looking for others with this problem and I can't seem to find any help on the subject as of yet. This same problem happened to me about a week ago, and now my phone is doing it again saying there's an update, but then not doing anything and suddenly saying its up to date even though I only have 2.2.

I have rooted my phone so I can do Wi-Fi tethering. Would that be the reason why my phone doesn't want to update?

Thanks for your help and info!
-Gibbsdancedroid

OP
G

gibbygibster

Reaction score
Weird how its come up more then once. And I thought the incredible was at least supposed to be up to 2.3 (Gingerbread?) now. I'm almost about due for a phone upgrade from Verizon anyways, but I was just wondering why my phone keeps saying there's an update when there's not.

and it looks official. icon in the status bar as well as the notification saying there's an update.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's not spam it's an HTC/Verizon update, if you're still on 2.2 it may be for 2.3 (gingerbread)

Incredible most likely will not receive ICS

OP
G

gibbygibster

Reaction score
Cool so it is a system update. Awesome. Why does it say that its upgrading to Android 4.0? Then why does it not upgrade to it? Then why does it say there are no upgrades? I think I'm just going to go into a Verizon store....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Cool so it is a system update. Awesome. Why does it say that its upgrading to Android 4.0? Then why does it not upgrade to it? Then why does it say there are no upgrades? I think I'm just going to go into a Verizon store....
The 4.0 is not ICS, it's just a revision to another update I believe.

As for why it won't update I'm not sure. However you going to verizon or calling them is a smart option.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK, good to know Dezy, I'm not familiar with HTC update numbers, but that is strange why they would call it 4.0! :p
Yeah get's a little confusing, especially to someone not too familiar with the device or what's going on. With all the news of Android 4.0 floating around the confusion is understandable.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-general-discussions/183010-how-update-2-3-4-4-08-605-2-guaranteed.html
N
ot telling OP to update, but notice how it's a version of 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)