Droid Incredible successfully gets 2.3.4, now "phone storage space is getting low."

lkreykes

Reaction score
Ok so my dad has the original Incredible, and I don't know when but he received the gingerbread update 2.3.4 successfully. There is this problem that we have had before (with 2.2), that the phone mysteriously runs out of storage space even though there's only like 15 apps. In the past if we let it go too long, eventually it randomly restarts, says "DROID", shuts off, and repeats the process over and over, resulting in me having to do a factory reset.
Can anybody tell me what me whats wrong? We don't really want to reset it again. Takes too long to set it back up.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

OP
lkreykes

lkreykes

Reaction score
By the way, it says "147MB Used, 601MB free."

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

weberfamily06

Reaction score
I have the same problem!

And it's so frustrating!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what help is offered.

rubah

Reaction score
This is just my personal experimentation speaking, but whenever I run into the low space warning, I always have the same trouble everyone else has; plenty of internal storage, plenty of phone memory, plenty on the SD card.

However, when HTC released that text messaging hotfix, it said something that really surprised me : "User data storage on /data/data:
Disk space: 152576KB", which of course is exactly 149 MB"

That's foolish, right? you get 150mb to store all your data (unless you're rooted, which I'm not). Sure enough, whenever I have the low storage message and I check the Hotfix, it'll say some absurdly low amount is free, usually about 7-20mb. Also, I checked just now (haven't had the message in a few days since I went on a spree to clear up space for 2.3.4) and 51768KB is free.

Anyway, the gist of my suggestion is that moving apps is futile. What you have to do is clear data storage by apps. Facebook is usually a big offender for me. The app size does not matter, just how much is stored in /data/data (and that directory is closed off, so you can't inspect it in Adao. I am currently without a usb cord, so I can't check whether it's browseable on my computer or not)

Try that, see if it helps you any.

OP
lkreykes

lkreykes

Reaction score
I did delete the facebook data and the low memory went away, but it still does have insanely low space. What was the text messaging fix now?

ShoalsRebel

Reaction score
Mine updated to the 4.06 version fine then the storage issue came up, also sync issues with Gmail. After a lengthy discussion with Verizon I did a factory reset. I thought it would reset to the prior software, but the 4.06 was on there. Also, the 4.8 update message appeared. I was advised by Verizon to wait a few days to accept it and allow things to settle. It kept coming up and I finally decided to go ahead and install it. I had reinstalled a bunch of apps so I deleted them to make sure I had enough memory. It installed flawlessly and my phone is smoother, faster and the battery life is much better. After the initial fail, the reset and manipulation of apps allowed it to install successfully. Getting my contacts and apps back was easy. My contacts were stored on Gmail and my apps history was on the app market.

patatteo

Reaction score
Do you know how to solve this issue if you do have a rooted phone?
This is just my personal experimentation speaking, but whenever I run into the low space warning, I always have the same trouble everyone else has; plenty of internal storage, plenty of phone memory, plenty on the SD card.
However, when HTC released that text messaging hotfix, it said something that really surprised me : "User data storage on /data/data:
Disk space: 152576KB", which of course is exactly 149 MB"

That's foolish, right? you get 150mb to store all your data (unless you're rooted, which I'm not). Sure enough, whenever I have the low storage message and I check the Hotfix, it'll say some absurdly low amount is free, usually about 7-20mb. Also, I checked just now (haven't had the message in a few days since I went on a spree to clear up space for 2.3.4) and 51768KB is free.

Anyway, the gist of my suggestion is that moving apps is futile. What you have to do is clear data storage by apps. Facebook is usually a big offender for me. The app size does not matter, just how much is stored in /data/data (and that directory is closed off, so you can't inspect it in Adao. I am currently without a usb cord, so I can't check whether it's browseable on my computer or not)

Try that, see if it helps you any.

JFrawls

Reaction score
I kept running into this problem even after rooting, so I got a memory manager, deleted all the bloat even the sense ui, and this app called History eraser its a one shot app to delete all the texts and cache to free up memory. In the setting you can make it clear cache every time you shut off the screen. I've been in my current setting for a couple of weeks now and havent seen the message once, and I have more apps installed than ever before.

Get the Auto Killer memory manager for root devices too.

Last edited: