Droid Incredible Root Soon Awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

imthefrizzlefry

Reaction score
Well i wasn't referring to you, but since you brought it up, why won't we need root with 2.2?

That's my bad, I guess I just wasn't thinking...

Well, 2.2 will have WiFi Tethering built in. I guess I'm speculating that Verizon won't modify the ROM to remove it based on how the Palm Pre phones have that feature. If root won't be available on the Incredible until the 2.2 update and Verizon doesn't remove the feature, then root won't be required for WiFi tethering.

I'm not saying I don't want root. I really want to remove City ID, which keeps starting up on my phone and giving me a nag screen even though I said I don't want to buy it... and several forums have indicated the only way to remove it is to root the phone. I'm sure I will want to play around more once I get the phone rooted though...

I just want people to know when they are waiting for root to get a feature, but really the feature is already on the phone... or might be available before root.

M

Matth3w

Except you have to pay a fee, no? What are the limits of it? Unlimited for 30?

imthefrizzlefry

Reaction score
I don't know if/what Verizon charges for tethering.

I know that Verizon caps their "unlimited" data plan at 5 GB regardless. I suppose if they were to modify the the ROM, or perform a deep packet inspection to filter out NAT traffic they could accomplish charging people for tethering. However, if they choose the packet inspection, then not even rooting the phone would allow you to bypass the charges.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
dont quote me but I beleive it was 30 for 5gb a month its a joke
I can do that in an hour here on my cable so I'd never pay so root is my only answer for wifi tether for when im away from home

imthefrizzlefry

Reaction score
yea, but assuming that Verizon will modify the ROM in order to charge for tethering is merely speculation, or do you have proof they are going to modify the ROM?

Also, I believe they increase the 5GB limit when you pay for tethering.

Guchi

Reaction score
I don't know if/what Verizon charges for tethering.

I know that Verizon caps their "unlimited" data plan at 5 GB regardless. I suppose if they were to modify the the ROM, or perform a deep packet inspection to filter out NAT traffic they could accomplish charging people for tethering. However, if they choose the packet inspection, then not even rooting the phone would allow you to bypass the charges.

Actually unlimited means unlimited I used almost 8gb last month no extra charges or questions asked

imthefrizzlefry

Reaction score
Actually unlimited means unlimited I used almost 8gb last month no extra charges or questions asked

I just know that my data plan: is advertised as unlimited data/text, but in the fine print on my contract it says Verizon holds the right to cap data downloads to 5GB; I have had my connection cut off after 5GB before.

I don't know if it's a regional thing or what, but are you sure it doesn't say in the fine print that they hold the right to cap downloads? I do suppose that doesn't mean they always will cap downloads.

terroh8er

Reaction score
I thought that it was their tethering plans and MiFi sort of services that had the 5GB limit. If they ever charged me for going over their "unlimited" data plan, i would file a class action lawsuit against them. And I bet I'd win

M

Matth3w

This has been discussed at length on this friggin forum. Discuss it elsewhere, this is about root on the incredible.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought that it was their tethering plans and MiFi sort of services that had the 5GB limit. If they ever charged me for going over their "unlimited" data plan, i would file a class action lawsuit against them. And I bet I'd win
No you probably wouldn't because probably somewhere deep in the contract lies a statement that disallows tethering.

This has been discussed at length on this friggin forum. Discuss it elsewhere, this is about root on the incredible.
Why are you always so angry? Geez.

hailtothetheif83

Reaction score
Well this is quite saddening, the EVO 4g already got rooted:
HTC Evo 4G rooted in record time (video) -- Engadget

As we still wait :(.

I don't get this... how did someone root the Evo already when I thought the Incredible ran pretty much the same software and we are still waiting on an Incredible root...

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the method they used to root work on the Incredible??

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't get this... how did someone root the Evo already when I thought the Incredible ran pretty much the same software and we are still waiting on an Incredible root...

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the method they used to root work on the Incredible??

for reference, the eris took 4 months to obtain root :(

mejdam

Reaction score

if you go to the source: Root on an HTC EVO 4G! grack.com: Matt Mastracci's blog

they state "At this time, we believe that this specific exploit cannot be applied to Incredible."

So this great news wont help incredible users one bit =/

ChansteR

Reaction score

for reference, the eris took 4 months to obtain root :(

Verizon phones have always been the last of the carriers to get any type of root/breaking or whatever. It happened with the HTC Diamond, happened with the Eris and it is happening now on the Incredible.

For some reason, Sprint phones are always rooted/modded quite quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.