Droid Incredible? Or Hold onto Droid 1 and wait??

poopieboy

Reaction score
I've had the Moto Droid 1 since launch day and I love what I can do with this phone, but I have never liked the form factor nor the keyboard.

I have loved the Droid Incredible's form factor since I laid eyes on it. It seems to be the (almost) perfect phone for me from a design perspective. It is slim, minimal, doesn't have a keyboard, nice little optical pad, and a good looking screen. I'd prefer a 4" screen but 3.7 is still very nice.

I am really kinda bored and frustrated with the clumsy design of the Droid 1 over the Incredible, and would like to get it... but don't want to forgo some of the rooted capabilities of my Droid 1.

I really like wireless tether, SetCPU, having 2.2 on there, and most of all, BuglessBeast. I love that every new version of Android OS has been ported over to the Droid 1 right away. These are indeed dealbreakers for me. I really don't know all that much about the Incredible, but do all these things work on it?

I see I can sell my droid for around $250 and pick up an Incredible for around $350. Should I get it or should I wait for something better?

My ideal phone is a very slim device with high-end smartphone specs (hi res screen, 1ghz processor, 512mb ram, etc.) and no physical keyboard and that's not huge (3.7" - 4" is perfect)

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I personally don't view the Incredible as a big enough upgrade over the OG Droid to warrant a purchase. Also, I am kinda interested in some of the newer phones coming out. Dual core processors, LTE, and a bunch of other upgrades that could be coming in next gen phones (some maybe around the holidays or soon thereafter). But there are definitely more phones coming out before the holidays. Samsung's Galaxy S series has one hitting VZW soon apparently (4" screen, 1ghz, 512mb RAM), and I am sure that other companies won't be taking the holidays off.

Another thing to consider, with Gingerbread coming out eventually how long is it going to take the phone to get it? The HTC Incredible hasn't even officially gotten Froyo yet, and as far as I know there is no official date for it to get it either.

Sure, this is a never ending process, as there is always going to be something better on the horizon. But there isn't much that an Inc can do that my rooted Droid can't. Sure it may be more compact, sleeker, and may even look more appealing but is that worth the expense? Personally I say no, but it sounds like it may be to you. So....is it worth it to you? That is what you need to ask yourself.

Diab210

Reaction score
Personally I would say wait till november and december and see what's on the horizon. The incredible isn't going to be much different than your droid, aside from the physical size which personally isn't very high on my priorities... its more of a "next phone I want something smaller because of my experiences with this phoone" ya know?

I do wonder how much you'd lose going from say a rooted droid 1 to a brand new droid pro.... I can live without custom roms honestly, but overclocking and wireless tether is pretty awesome

nateccnn

Reaction score
I don't understand. You say it is sleeker or better form factor. I looked at the dimensions and then measured my Droid and it looks like is would be the exact same size.

I don't like the physical keyboard either. But I found that if I don't slide it out...it isn't there (just like a properly concealed handgun).

You gain a snapdragon 1 ghz processor but you also get a lousy user interface.

If I could not overclock my Droid I would be tempted. But I can, so I am not.

Nate

brando56894

Reaction score
There't no point in upgrading to a phone that's already a few months old, a rooted droid can essentially do anything (and slightly more!) than an incredible can do, so I don't see any point in upgrading even though the hardware specs are slightly better.

I'd say wait a few months and see what "super phones" are going to be coming out in the next quarter to half year. Im sure you'll be kicking yourself if you get the incredible now and see that they've released the Droid OMGWTFBBQ with a 128 GB iSSD (2x 64 GB sandisks iSSDs?), 1.5+ GHz dual core processor, with 2 4.5" ridiculously awesome amoled screens that will cook your breakfast for you, start and warm up your car for you and use its vibrate function to give you a massage lol (FYI two of those things are actually real the 64gb SSD and the dual core proc)

OP
P

poopieboy

Reaction score
I didn't say as an upgrade guys.. I don't do upgrades, or two year commitments, or any of that. I just buy the phone straight out.. use it for a while, sell it, then buy another one.

I was thinking of selling my Droid 1 for $250 and buying an Incredible for $350. I'm not trying to upgrade, just get something that feels better. I understand that the Droid 1 is the same size as the Incredible, but I can't stand the corners on my Droid. I also know that if I don't use the keyboard, it isn't there, but it still weighs a lot more and is a lot thicker.

I wasn't looking for an upgrade, or a better phone, but I am wanting to switch to a phone that is better FOR ME. Basically, I will get the Incredible so long as it is not a step DOWN from the Droid 1. That's all I want to know... in terms of root capabilities, battery life, speed, and overall build quality, is the Incredible on par with the Droid 1 or is it a step down?

If it is on par, but has a much better form factor FOR ME, then I'll get it. If not, I'll wait. Either way I will probably sell whatever I end up getting by November and buy something new.