Droid Incredible 2 Camera Problems. HELP!

ALG5

Reaction score
Long story short I am cursed with all phones. Never do they work with no problems. Anyhow I got a replacement for my last Incredible 2 and everything seemed to be working fine until I was trying to take a pictures the camera stopped working. I tried finding similar problems on the web and found none. Basically the phone will launch the camera and sometimes show the camera or camcorder image and then go black. (Mostly it's just a black screen) Occasionally it will say something like "tap the screen to activate camera" but when you do nothing happens. I have done numerous factory resets, they didn't work at all. Finally I did one after my clock stopped working (a problem I've had with this phone and fixed before) and the camera worked! Magically! Then it stopped. I rebooted the phone and it would work right on start up and I opened the running apps to see what might be interfering I noticed it was the Market app. When I uninstalled the updates rebooted the phone and then re-installed them the camera appeared to be working fine. However with a little time, guess what back to the black screen. Tried to do the same thing with the Market app again with no success this time. What can I do? I don't want to have to take my phone back again. They are kind of sick of me at this point! Plus I don't want to have to wait for a new one to come in my phone model was on back order recently, so with my luck it probably still is.

Some apps I use that might be interfering are Advanced Task Killer and Astro File Manager. However I have used the task killer app for a long time and ever had problems on previous phones or on my last droid incredible 2. Yes I know how to set up and use my ignore list.

ki3t1995

Reaction score
You really might want to delete that task killer. It can do some nasty things to your phone, and in reality you shouldn't even have one installed. The Android OS automatically kills tasks, and you don't need a task killer because of this. Astro is definitely not the issue, because it can't modify the camera files unless you are rooted. Good luck!

Sent from my Incredible 2

ABQNM

Reaction score
I also agree that it would likely be the task killer. It is possibly killing a process that is needed to run for the camera when you are killing one app. Also the task killer, unless it is only used to manually kill apps, will do more harm than good on a device with this much RAM. It will basically fight the android OS on apps that Android may want to keep running and dormant but the task killer wants to end them, so then android has to re-open them. When devices had 128mb or 256mb memory on older versions of Android, they could be useful.

I would honestly do the factory reset and not put the task killer back on there at all and see if it still happens.

Also the black tap to start camera screen is what usually appears after the camera times out with the display on and puts the camera to sleep. Why that would show at launch I am not sure though.

ABQNM

Reaction score
And I see that was your first post here, so welcome to the forum, ALG5!

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ours quit a few weeks of being new. Was about to send it back when I did factory reset.. camera hasn't missed a lick sense ...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...