Droid in water :(

OP
madaopul

madaopul

Reaction score
Wow congratulations! I never even thought of something like that. Definitely keep it in mind for my friends.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Well I have a similar situation and instead of creating a new thread, I'll just post it here. I had my phone in the bathroom and some excess soapy water from washing my hands went down the back side of the screen (it was flipped up). I didn't notice it until I was done, and I went to pick it up and I couldn't turn the display on (the lights would come on and off, and the red battery light was blinking). I didn't know at the time that I had gotten water in it, so I tried turning it back on a few times but no luck. Right now it's open sitting on top of a fan with the battery out.

However since it was only a small amount of water and it went behind the screen, the water damage indicator behind the battery door is still white with red "X's". I don't have insurance, and when I get home I plan on putting the phone in a bag of rice. I saw one of the guides posted here which suggested using 100% alcohol, but since the indicator hasn't been activated I didn't know if I should just try to bring it back to the store.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I have a similar situation and instead of creating a new thread, I'll just post it here. I had my phone in the bathroom and some excess soapy water from washing my hands went down the back side of the screen (it was flipped up). I didn't notice it until I was done, and I went to pick it up and I couldn't turn the display on (the lights would come on and off, and the red battery light was blinking). I didn't know at the time that I had gotten water in it, so I tried turning it back on a few times but no luck. Right now it's open sitting on top of a fan with the battery out.

However since it was only a small amount of water and it went behind the screen, the water damage indicator behind the battery door is still white with red "X's". I don't have insurance, and when I get home I plan on putting the phone in a bag of rice. I saw one of the guides posted here which suggested using 100% alcohol, but since the indicator hasn't been activated I didn't know if I should just try to bring it back to the store.

i had something similar happen to me only with DR Pepper i took it into store rep checked out moisture thing said it looks like it dry to me handed me new droid out the door in 20 min.. he did not ask me what happend i did not volunteer any info.. i did have insurance but rep told me it was a warrenty issue

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score
i had something similar happen to me only with DR Pepper i took it into store rep checked out moisture thing said it looks like it dry to me handed me new droid out the door in 20 min.. he did not ask me what happend i did not volunteer any info.. i did have insurance but rep told me it was a warrenty issue
Good news there, haha. How long ago was it? I read a few posts here saying that in a few months Verizon may find out that it was damaged and then bill you the entire amount. Also, did you have to bring anything with you to the store other then your phone (i.e. receipt, box, manuals, etc.)?

And just out of curiosity, was that phone rooted? Just my luck I rooted my phone this morning :(

geoff5093

Reaction score
I may have made one of the stupider mistakes... After reading a thread about how someone just had a dead battery, and seeing the red light on my phone I thought I may get lucky so I replaced it with a fully charged battery and tried to power it back on. When it was on, the 4 buttons were on, but nothing else. The display was off, and I left it on for about 30 seconds and then the buttons started to flicker and spots started forming on the screen, resembling clouds. I immediately removed the battery and the spots slowly went away.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good news there, haha. How long ago was it? I read a few posts here saying that in a few months Verizon may find out that it was damaged and then bill you the entire amount. Also, did you have to bring anything with you to the store other then your phone (i.e. receipt, box, manuals, etc.)?

And just out of curiosity, was that phone rooted? Just my luck I rooted my phone this morning :(

2 weeks ago.. i just brought the droid to a store. yes it was rooted but i sbf it back to stock before but it would not boot up.. tech said it was a software crash in main system

geoff5093

Reaction score
Well I went down to the Verizon store today, the tech looked it over and saw the flickering buttons, and then left the battery in the phone while filling out the paperwork for a replacement. He then picked it up and felt that it was hot, turned it over and saw that the screen was a total mess, and you could see some moisture inside as well. He said I was lucky that since when I brought it in and he looked at it, everything looked fine, otherwise I would be SOL. Guess I can only hope that Verizon is as forgiving when they receive my phone...

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting new phone
.. no more water

CGC2

Reaction score
Mothers day weekend...fired up the smoker and place some meat on. made some drinks for the family and me...looked at the pool and thought, geez thats looks nice. Had swim shorts on, so just removed shirt and dove in.....water was sooooooooo nice. got out, thats when i noticed my Droid was in my pocket. Replacement arrives anytime today thanks to insurance.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bury your droid in rice, works wonders sometimes. Except for LCD damage ofcourse. Do you have insurance?

Trust me, by the laws of hardness; it would be impossible for a grain of rice to scratch Gorilla Glass. You could kick a grain of rice's butt with a piece of GG, however.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bury your droid in rice, works wonders sometimes. Except for LCD damage ofcourse. Do you have insurance?

Trust me, by the laws of hardness; it would be impossible for a grain of rice to scratch Gorilla Glass. You could kick a grain of rice's butt with a piece of GG, however.

I think he meant that the rice does wonders but can't fix LCD damage...not that rice causes LCD damage.

Anyway, screw the rice. This guy don't use no stinking rice: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmm ... insurance is great, but from what I hear there's a clause that says water damage is not included. I don't know if that includes all the insurance providers for V, though ...

It depends on what level of insurance you have. If you have TEC (Total Equipment Coverage) that covers any and all things that could possibly happen to your phone (say you "accidently" shoot it in a skeet tournament)

You might be right about the less expensive insurance plans, though.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think he meant that the rice does wonders but can't fix LCD damage...not that rice causes LCD damage.

I doubt it. Becuase rice doesn't do ANYTHING for any problem other than water damage. Actually, the usefulness of rice is a hotly debated subject; IMHO it does nothing. You'd be better off throwing it in a container with a couple of those moisture repellent cartridges from vitamin bottles (silica gel I believe) - rice doesn't readily absorb moisture until it is heated and some of the starch is converted to sugar.

Alfador

Reaction score

I doubt it. Becuase rice doesn't do ANYTHING for any problem other than water damage. Actually, the usefulness of rice is a hotly debated subject; IMHO it does nothing. You'd be better off throwing it in a container with a couple of those moisture repellent cartridges from vitamin bottles (silica gel I believe) - rice doesn't readily absorb moisture until it is heated and some of the starch is converted to sugar.
The rice does absorb moisture, but far too slowly to really be useful IMO. Fine for keeping a salt shaker from clogging but not much else. Could use it as a stopgap while you look for a real desiccant like calcium chloride salt or silica gel(the stuff they pack in beef jerky and shoeboxes). Airflow helps too. Still will take several days to trult dry it out though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk