Droid in water :(

madaopul

Reaction score
First I would like to say I do not know if this is exactly where to post this so please correct me if I am wrong.

Last night I dropped my Moto Droid in the toilet, yes I know I shouldn't have had it in the bathroom. I immediately took it out and removed the battery and sdcard. I then dried it as much as I could with a towel and put a hair dryer on it. Since then it has not been on and I have had it on top of my heating vent in my room. I was just wandering about how long should I wait until I try to power it up? There appears to be no water on it or water damage besides the little stickers on the battery and the inside of the phone. I feel lost without it and would like to get it running asap while still not introducing it to any damage. Thanks.

nphil

Reaction score
Bury your droid in rice, works wonders sometimes. Except for LCD damage ofcourse. Do you have insurance?

OP
madaopul

madaopul

Reaction score
I do not have the insurance and I have seen that thread. I still do not quite know what the rubbing alcohol is for or if it is always necessary. Also I was not sure if letting it chill for 2 day would be okay in your opinion? Thanks for the quick responses.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do not have the insurance and I have seen that thread. I still do not quite know what the rubbing alcohol is for or if it is always necessary. Also I was not sure if letting it chill for 2 day would be okay in your opinion? Thanks for the quick responses.

Alcohol will displace the water and it will evaporate more quickly and completely than water. Be sure to "rinse" as the article instructs to get out contaminants from the toilet water. And do your shopping and find 100% alcohol. It's around it's just harder to find but will be worth it. 2 days MINIMUM with the alcohol much longer if you take the cheap way out and try to skip it...

And let this be a lesson to everyone else GET THE INSURANCE... seriously people... it's a $500 phone and you will likely NEVER find a new phone anywhere for under $200 during your 2yr contract...

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that they will immediately know it was wet by the water-sensitive sticker to the upper left of the battery. If you have some way of replacing it you may be able to take it back should it not work.

OP
madaopul

madaopul

Reaction score
OK thanks all and I am going to try the alcohol even though I am not really in the position to not have a working phone for a week but if that is what it best I am going to try it. Finally I was wandering, if I was to want to purchase the insurance for it would I have to take it in for an inspection or could I just do it?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK thanks all and I am going to try the alcohol even though I am not really in the position to not have a working phone for a week but if that is what it best I am going to try it. Finally I was wandering, if I was to want to purchase the insurance for it would I have to take it in for an inspection or could I just do it?

Most likely they'd want to see it, but depending on how long you've had it, it's likely not even an option.

The little angel on my shoulder wants me to remind you that purchasing insurance knowing the device isn't working is fraud. The shoulder angel has mixed feelings on purchasing insurance after you make the phone work again.

Good luck. I recommend Everclear -- both to sit your phone in, and take shots of as you think about dropping your phone in the toilet.

enracaed

Reaction score
You can also place it a container filled with dessicators (damp rid) or buy a bag of calcium chloride (rock salt) from home depot. It will suck all the moisture out of the phone.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post and the link. I hope I never need to use it.

Sorry about your phone and I hope it works again.

OP
madaopul

madaopul

Reaction score

Most likely they'd want to see it, but depending on how long you've had it, it's likely not even an option.

The little angel on my shoulder wants me to remind you that purchasing insurance knowing the device isn't working is fraud. The shoulder angel has mixed feelings on purchasing insurance after you make the phone work again.

Good luck. I recommend Everclear -- both to sit your phone in, and take shots of as you think about dropping your phone in the toilet.

Would everclear really be ok? Reason I am asking is because I have not been able to find 100% rubbing alcohol everywhere I go only has 70%.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score