Droid in hot tub

bmahlouji

Reaction score
So I went into the hot tub with my RAZR MAXX in the pocket of my swim shorts and was in there for about a good 3-5min max (haha). Anyway put it in some dry white rice for about 11-12 hours and tried turning it on, but didn't worked. When I plugged it in, it flashed a white light for a brief second and a weak red light. After a little bit it didn't make any light at all. I then tried putting it in 91% isopropyl alcohol around 3 hours ago and left it in for an hour. Nothing worked. I managed to take the back off and the battery out and found it looked all rusty and clean it a little and soak it in the alcohol and clean it again. I then plugged it into the charger again and I got only the weak little red light and now I am leaving it to charge.

I was wondering what the weak red LED light indicate as well as what the best thing I should do now is. Should I put it in the rice with the battery out?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Being in the hot tub for that long was bad enough. Only leaving it in rice for 11 hours and then powering it up was also bad. I would have given it at least 2 days. The alcohol idea makes sense but only if it was right away and the battery was removed. I think it's way beyond that now.

I'm not even confident that it's salvageable at this point based on the interior condition as you describe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
What FoxKat said. Probably the best thing you can do now is buy a new phone. It sounds like this one is history.

OP
B

bmahlouji

Reaction score
Well thankfully enough it turned on. I plugged it in and it turned on and everything. However, I think it is dependent on the charger because the moment it is away from the charger it turns off, and it doesn't even read the SIM card. So basically I just have a phone with no service that only works with it being plugged into a wall. Maybe if I got a new battery it would work?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't believe the battery is the cause of the problems you are now experiencing. The hairline traces on the motherboard can be fried or corrosion can cause to adjacent traces to electrically connect due to water (and whatever else was in the water of that hot tub at the time, chemical or otherwise). The "rusty" appearance inside was corrosion that happened as a result of the water and elements dissolved therein, along with the acceleration of that corrosion by the power stored in the battery. It's not much different than electroplating or electric de-plating. I think it's had the charging circuitry damaged. It MAY come back to life, but chances are slim.

OP
B

bmahlouji

Reaction score
What would you suggest I do? I mean if worse comes to worse than I just go back to using my DROID Thunderbolt, so it's not the end of the world, but I just got this phone 4-5 months ago.

OP
B

bmahlouji

Reaction score
Ha no that'd be awesome if I did. I was thinking if I buy insurance now and then go in and replace the phone. I figure I'm still paying money for it to be covered so it might work. Also my phone is now not even turning it on when plugged in. I left it charging all night...I feel like I've done every wrong thing you could possibly do in this situation.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most insurances have a waiting period before you can file a claim to prevent fraud. Your phone has to be in good working order when you buy the policy or you can't legally file a claim. If they did honor the claim right after the waiting period, they usually cancel your policy as they suspect abuse. You're only good choice is to buy a new phone. Life sucks sometimes. I learned the hard way to take my phone out of my pocket if I even go NEAR the pool. I've fallen in the pool too many time while cleaning it to make me real nervous with a phone near water.