Droid in Canada

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by grimm_jow, Mar 3, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. grimm_jow

grimm_jow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey gang, how's everyone doing?
    So I'm picking up a Droid tonight. It's finally out in Canada, though it's not called a Droid, Telus dubbed it the 'Motorola Millennium"

Sooooo, even though it's the same phone, I am wondering if I will run into any issues rooting the phone and installing a v2.1 rom on it? Are the possibly subtle differences in the hardware which will require a different rooting procedure?

I guess I may the be first one to try this, and I will post results. However, would there be any chance of bricking my brand new phone by following this guide?
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

Thanks in Advance,
    Jack
  2. woodyman

woodyman Senior Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    hey man glad to hear your getting your droid, can't wait to see if the rooting process works for you.. im hoping it does, and im not sure whether you know this or not but if want a fool proof simple way to root, use droidmod, its great to know all the adb commands and everything, but if you the type that just wants to get it done fast, then droid mod is by far the simpliest rooting process out there..

hopefully you can get us a system dump soon... looking foward to any nice apks motorola has put in there..

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  3. SL-1200

SL-1200 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitely do your homework. I believe that your phone is a GSM phone and rooting a CDMA Rom on a GSM phone could brick it. I have heard stories of this happening to Hero owners... Certainly do your homework and be aware of these two differences, they could be vital. I would for sure wait to hear responses from others with more experience.

But other than that, Welcome! You will find a lot of great information here!
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. grimm_jow

grimm_jow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. woodyman

Ratings:
    +4
    yep i missed the gsm cdma part.. sorry :icon_eek:
  6. SL-1200

SL-1200 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong but again i have heard that even after creating a backup, people trying to flash a GSM Rom to CDMA or vice versa would end up with a true brick. Definitely be careful. I do not know much about this at all but just giving a heads up and I'm sure there will be people chiming in with more informative answers.
  7. grimm_jow

grimm_jow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am actually with Telus, which uses CDMA. I would still feel better with a firmware backup however...

EDIT: I feel like a tool, just got to step 27 in the guide which describes how to create a backup ROM :) I'm stoked for this.
  8. SL-1200

SL-1200 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh nice lol! Still take all precautions before doing anything just to make sure.
  9. woodyman

Ratings:
    +4
    and im not sure whether your provider offers insurance or not, but i'd defiantly get it just in case, i know its not that expensive here only like 7 or 8 bucks a month i think.. and if you ever truly brick it just tell you lost it in a lake or something.. lol.. hope this works out for..

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  10. woodyman

Ratings:
    +4
    awaiting news.....
  11. kalm49

kalm49 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming the OP meant the Motorola Milestone, there hasn't been a successful root on Telus firmware from what I can tell.

I don't think anyone has even figured out how to boot this model in recovery mode yet... :icon_eek:

Anyway, it wouldn't really matter as, unlike the Droid, our phones have locked bootloaders and won't be able to run anything other than signed Telus roms :icon_evil:
  12. woodyman

Ratings:
    +4

Check out my thread on the motorola fm radio apk and you will understand y I'm awaiting to see if rooting works for him, hopefully he can get a system.tar and there's some intersting goodies.. :) the motoroi is korean but I have apks from it running on my droid.. not trying to flash a canadian rom, just explorer what's on it.. :)
  13. grimm_jow

grimm_jow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry for no update. I did a little more research and discovered the Milestone has not been broken like the Droid. Made me not want to get one.... I don't know why Motorola would lock it down like this, but I will not be getting one unless there is a successful exploit. Until then, we wait for a better android device to come out...