Droid home screen refresh intermittent freeze

markusfine

Reaction score
I've been having this problem for a few months (using stock 2.1 and now stock 2.2). Upon returning to the home screen, intermittently the wallpaper (regular) will display but it takes 3 to 10 seconds for the icons to display and the device to unfreeze. Its very annoying. I uninstalled LauncherPro and started disabling widgets one by one until all widgets (including google search bar) have been removed. I then started turning off weather alerts and other background updates. No luck.

I installed SystemPanel (paid) and ran monitoring but nothing out of the ordinary stuck out. No one process is constantly sucking up CPU, but something is probably blocking while I load the homescreen (again, its unpredictable and works lightening fast sometimes, and painfully slow at other times (usually when I need to do something quickly...)).

Any ideas?

B

binxwalker

I've been having this problem for a few months (using stock 2.1 and now stock 2.2). Upon returning to the home screen, intermittently the wallpaper (regular) will display but it takes 3 to 10 seconds for the icons to display and the device to unfreeze. Its very annoying. I uninstalled LauncherPro and started disabling widgets one by one until all widgets (including google search bar) have been removed. I then started turning off weather alerts and other background updates. No luck.

I installed SystemPanel (paid) and ran monitoring but nothing out of the ordinary stuck out. No one process is constantly sucking up CPU, but something is probably blocking while I load the homescreen (again, its unpredictable and works lightening fast sometimes, and painfully slow at other times (usually when I need to do something quickly...)).

Any ideas?
I am having EXACTLY the same problem and have since 2.1 as well. I have tried different ROMS, I have tried standard, unrooted 2.1 and 2.2, I have tried numerous hacked ROMs and nothing solves the problem. It drives me crazy! I was hoping that this issue would have had some responses. I am at the point of tossing the damn thing out the window.

darthraige

Reaction score
I have the same problems as well and have been trying to narrow down the problem. It appears on my end Titanium Backup is causing the issue.

Do you guys force apps to the SD Card? I think that's what's causing the problem on my end. I wish there was more on this as well.

B

binxwalker

No, I don't move apps to my sd card as I am still waiting to get a 32Gig card to give me enought room to do so. I have a ton of music and podcasts on my sd. Also, I don't use Titanium. I recently installed ADW Launcher, which is a great (free) replacement for the crappy built-in launcher and it seemed to offer improvement for about 24 hours, but now I am back to the same intermittent freezing again. ARRRGGGHHH. This is the only problem that I have with this device, and I just don't understand what is causing it as it even happens when I run it stripped.

I am continuing to investigate, and I will post anything I discover back here.

OP
M

markusfine

Reaction score
It's too early to declare victory but this morning I uninstalled ATK (Advanced Task Killer) upon reading many performance related discussions. I also rebooted around the same time. For the past 11hrs my phone has been VERY responsive. Again, I'm hesitant because the last hair-brained scheme i tried was disabling location services which seemed to have an impact as well but then things went back to normal gradually.

B

binxwalker

Do any of you have multiple widgets setup in your launcher? I have 5 - Facebook, Tweetcaster, MixZing, Retro Clock and DoggCatcher. I am starting to suspect one or all of them are the cause of the slow refresh of the launcher. Any feedback?

ujhony03

Reaction score
I removed atk and now I'm in speed heaven. It was definitely atk

radsaq

Reaction score
A long pause when returning to the home screen is normal when the system is under memory pressure and the launcher application (whether the pre-installed one or a 3rd party one) has been ejected from memory. More installed applications and/or more icons on your home screens seems to make the loading slower. (I'm not sure whether widgets tend to be better or worse than replacing the same amount of space used with icons, as I don't use a huge number of widgets.)

trothmaster

Reaction score
I don't think its a memory issue because all I have to do to replicate this problem is be on the home screen and open the keyboard and bam 4 - 5 second delay!

radsaq

Reaction score
I've seen that behavior after the phone has been running for 4-5 days without a reboot and the system processes have gone up in memory usage by a good amount. My solution is to just reboot at that point. :/

If this is happening to you soon after booting I would look into the number of apps you have installed that are running background services.