droid headphone jack "defect"

shademar

Reaction score
how do i go about doing returns with verizon? I'm having sound issues with my droid too and at first I thought it was a ROM issue, but guess not. Do they mail in a replacement and you send in the defective phone to them? This is what I did with t-mobile, not sure how it works with verizon.

When I had a headphine issue out of the first 30d, I called them (*611) and explained the situation. They had me check whether my phone was water damaged (it wasn't), and then arranged an exchange. After I received and activated the new phone, I sent back the old one. It worked out fine, but sounded like a huge pain...

nphil

Reaction score
Alright, I think I'll call them up tomorrow and explain the situation. Do you get a refurbished unit as the replacement all the time? Any scratches/dents on the outside or does it look and function just like a new one?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright, I think I'll call them up tomorrow and explain the situation. Do you get a refurbished unit as the replacement all the time? Any scratches/dents on the outside or does it look and function just like a new one?

It will depend on what your location has in stock. Likely by now they will have some refurbs or some 'certified new' models. If they have none of those than you should get a new unit. May be worth going to a smaller store/location.

Regardless you should not be able to 'see,' or otherwise tell, a difference between a refurb and a new unit. They generally just use the 'gut's of the phones and put them in new housings (of course replacing damaged components as needed).

Let us know what you end up with, be nice to know for reference.

bacalao

Reaction score
Have that same problem of having to insert the jack and remove again to hear a call. I hate having to put people on speakerphone in public when I forget to do so.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
Some of the cracking and popping people are experiencing is not due to the jack. I know when I plug my phone into my car stereo, it cracks if it's on full volume. I just have to tick the volume on the phone down a notch or 2 and it sounds great.

old no. 7

Reaction score
So I got my droid replaced today with a new one. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the headphone jack. When I'm playing music it cracks and pops and the headphone jack was loose so they gave me a new one :)
I"m going to replace it today. I was about to start a thread and ask if it was my phone or if anyone else is having a problem then I saw this.

Litrekid

Reaction score
I dont have the cracking or popping but if the plug gets moved it will cut out the left ear phone. I have to move it around to get it back on. Replacement #5 on the way.

OP
X

xMatt007x

Reaction score
so if i have this issue just flash the phone to stock and go in and get a new one?

Correct.

how do i go about doing returns with verizon? I'm having sound issues with my droid too and at first I thought it was a ROM issue, but guess not. Do they mail in a replacement and you send in the defective phone to them? This is what I did with t-mobile, not sure how it works with verizon.

I went to a retail store and got a new one.

how long is manufacture warranty?

1 year.

I got a brand new unit.

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm worried about getting a replacement. This is the only problem with my current phone, while it is important, there are much worse problems that could occur with a new phone. :icon_eek:

cuskit

Reaction score
Can those having this problem with the jack tell us when they bought their phone? If the replacements are working fine, are we to assume that the initial batch had bad jacks? Perhaps posting a serial number? I received mine on Nov 22, this was a second batch received by my local VZW store - they sold out of their initial batch between Nov 6 and Nov 18.

I can't say I have this problem since I only use Bluetooth earphones (the 305's) which work flawless for me. Perhaps I'll plug in a wired set for a few days and see if there are issues with my phone. Not that it matters, really. I can't ever see me wanting to use a wired earpiece when Bluetooth affords so much freedom. :) mikey

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can those having this problem with the jack tell us when they bought their phone? If the replacements are working fine, are we to assume that the initial batch had bad jacks? Perhaps posting a serial number? I received mine on Nov 22, this was a second batch received by my local VZW store - they sold out of their initial batch between Nov 6 and Nov 18.

I can't say I have this problem since I only use Bluetooth earphones (the 305's) which work flawless for me. Perhaps I'll plug in a wired set for a few days and see if there are issues with my phone. Not that it matters, really. I can't ever see me wanting to use a wired earpiece when Bluetooth affords so much freedom. :) mikey

It seams to be more a 'wear' issue and not a batch/manufacture issue. The jack is flimsily attached (by just a few solder points) to the main board and is not really secured or attached to the case or elsewhere. Thus continuous use (like people using it as a MP3 player for their vehicles) seem to be working the jack 'loose.' I'm in the same boat as you... We have BlueTooth for a reason (and I have 3 MP3 players for use 'in' my car)... personally I wish they would have left the jack off the device...

nphil

Reaction score
Well after waiting about an hour for my turn at my local VZW center, I finally got my droid replaced with a brand new one. It wasn't easy though, the guy initially wanted me to wait ANOTHER half an hour for their "tech support" guy to come in and reproduce the issue. I was already tired from working all day and standing upright for an hour didn't help any, so I asked the guy to give me a damn refund and cancel the 2 year contract I signed (My old contract expired this month).

That did the trick, he went back and got me a brand new droid, no questions asked.

OP
X

xMatt007x

Reaction score
Well after waiting about an hour for my turn at my local VZW center, I finally got my droid replaced with a brand new one. It wasn't easy though, the guy initially wanted me to wait ANOTHER half an hour for their "tech support" guy to come in and reproduce the issue. I was already tired from working all day and standing upright for an hour didn't help any, so I asked the guy to give me a damn refund and cancel the 2 year contract I signed (My old contract expired this month).

That did the trick, he went back and got me a brand new droid, no questions asked.

Good for you! Hold your ground soldier!

A.C.Sanchez

Reaction score
This thread has sealed the deal for me, guess I'm going to return Droid #3, and get Droid #4. My headphone jack is completely loose, and that's a huge problem for me. I use mine as an mp3 player on my daily train ride. I bought mine at Walmart in November, hopefully Verizon won't give me any crap.

I'm willing to buy some Bluetooth headphones though, just as an aside. Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless headphones (decent ones)? And do they have any noticeable impact on battery life? I've never even turned Bluetooth on for the Droid!