droid headphone jack "defect"

xMatt007x

Reaction score
So I got my droid replaced today with a new one. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the headphone jack. When I'm playing music it cracks and pops and the headphone jack was loose so they gave me a new one :)

DigiK

Reaction score
Mark my words, this will be one of the number-one causes of Droid replacements over the long-term. I got my Droid on release day, and after a couple months, I'm noticing some subtle play that results in static/crackling if disturbed. This stuff could be avoided if manufacturers would epoxy the headphone jack to the system board or completely isolate it. One or the other, but not a couple skimpy solder connections.

andymellon4

Reaction score
So I got my droid replaced today with a new one. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the headphone jack. When I'm playing music it cracks and pops and the headphone jack was loose so they gave me a new one :)

I did the exact same thing yesterday......the sound was unbearable...

OP
X

xMatt007x

Reaction score
Also it seems like their where some very small design changes in the qwerty keyboard it doesn't seems so flat anymore. But that might just be me.

markmicallef

Reaction score
Is this done under warranty or with the optional insurance?

What is the length of the warranty, I got mine Nov '09

Mars

Reaction score
wow i thought i was the only one. and to make matters even more annoying, when i have a headset or cable connected to the jack voice calls are mute after removing the cable. I have to re-insert the cable into the jack to be able to hear on the other end of the call again.

OP
X

xMatt007x

Reaction score
Is this done under warranty or with the optional insurance?

What is the length of the warranty, I got mine Nov '09

My droid is 3months old, they replaced it under manufacture warranty. I had no insurance.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thinking about taking some two-ton epoxy to the top of it.

that folks, is alliteration.

iPirate

Reaction score
Mine seems to be doing this more often :(

I guess when I get time I will replace it.

Reks

Reaction score
did your purchase your droid from a vzw store or from like a best buy?

srtfool32

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so if i have this issue just flash the phone to stock and go in and get a new one?

nphil

Reaction score
how do i go about doing returns with verizon? I'm having sound issues with my droid too and at first I thought it was a ROM issue, but guess not. Do they mail in a replacement and you send in the defective phone to them? This is what I did with t-mobile, not sure how it works with verizon.

shademar

Reaction score
Mark my words, this will be one of the number-one causes of Droid replacements over the long-term. I got my Droid on release day, and after a couple months, I'm noticing some subtle play that results in static/crackling if disturbed. This stuff could be avoided if manufacturers would epoxy the headphone jack to the system board or completely isolate it. One or the other, but not a couple skimpy solder connections.

I had to exchange the droid I bought just two days after release due to headphone jack related problems after a few weeks. It started as a minor snap, crackle and pop, and then got steadily worse until the aux port was basically unusable (NB: I primarily use my droid as a media player, so anything that might be use-exacerbated, probably will be...)

The "new" (i.e., refurb) droid has been great for a while, but had recently started to have crackling/earphone cutting out/random pausing problems... I'm assuming that it'll eventually go the same route as the last one.

There may be a firmware component, but I also think there is a hardware weak link.