Droid Ham Radio Operators?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious if I'm the only ham radio operator who is also a Droid owner. I've been licensed since 1983.

Harrybub

Reaction score
Just curious if I'm the only ham radio operator who is also a Droid owner. I've been licensed since 1983.

wave.gif
Been licensed since 1973.

I've found 2 related apps. Callsign DB and Ham

HB

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Harry, thanks for the info. I just installed the two apps. I'd love to find a way to watch the DX Cluster/Spider from my Droid, do you know of anything out there, or if someone is developing a DX Cluster widget?

longboat

Reaction score
Thanks for the apps. I am 54 yrs old and licensed in 1976. I am an extra and also a Dxer. Would love to see a cluster app too!

snowman

Reaction score
Good to meet you N9IWJ here - living in VA. now, you know how to find me easily
pretty new to droid , quite a phone
it will come in handy for all my hobbies
photography
motorcycle ridin'
computers
shootin' guns
ham radio

I love it so far, by the way recent 2 ice storms, lots of antenna work to do when weather gets better. so off of HF for a while
[email protected]

callsign db works well just tried it, thanks much

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll PM everyone my call, you know why. I'm in "3" land. I love contesting in the winter months, CW, Digital, PSK, RTTY and straight key. Need some antenna advice if anyone here is an antenna guru.

Cyanidetransistor

Reaction score
I am a ham, but I must admit, I have a no-code tech license. My father is the ARRL vice director of the Rocky Mountain division.

shane stich

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question on this as I am very interested in becoming licensed as well as finding out if there is a Android app to use your phone as the Ham Radio. Any info is truly appreciated. I am 35 years old and have just read the story by John Galt called "the day the dollar died". If you read this story you will understand my wanting to become licensed for HAM Operator usage.
Cheers!
Shane

Harrybub

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question on this as I am very interested in becoming licensed as well as finding out if there is a Android app to use your phone as the Ham Radio. Any info is truly appreciated. I am 35 years old and have just read the story by John Galt called "the day the dollar died". If you read this story you will understand my wanting to become licensed for HAM Operator usage.
Cheers!
Shane

I don't know of an app to use the phone as a ham radio but you can find all you need to know about Amateur Radio at arrl.org

It's lots of fun and when the dookie hits the fan you will be the go to guy to communicate...

HB

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cheers!
Shane

I don't know of an app to use the phone as a ham radio but you can find all you need to know about Amateur Radio at arrl.org

It's lots of fun and when the dookie hits the fan you will be the go to guy to communicate...

HB

Don't know if you guys ever watched the show "Jericho" a couple of years ago. It was life after a nuclear bombing in the U.S. - guess who had the communications - yup the ham radio operators. It was great because the online group who were Jericho fans just thought the morse code they played at the beginning of each episode was just randomly generator. They were always impressed when I would go and post that night what it really said. My old house that I just moved away from had some really cool neighbors who didn't quite understand the ham radio phenomenon I have but I needed to "borrow" their trees for my dipole antenna for 10-160 meters. I told them, when the doo doo hits the fan, you'll be coming to me as your best friend. My neighbor's argument was "oh, what do you think the internet is for"...and I asked how he was going to access the internet when there's not going to be any commercial power to utilize the internet...he then understood, and in fact always enjoyed helping me with antenna projects in our yards.

I don't know if it exists yet, but it would be nice if someone developed a morse code generator for the Droid.

shane stich

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info! Jericho was a great show and it shows us a ton if useful detail.

Regards Shane

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Guchi

Reaction score
tricorder monitors solar flares and other atmospheric crap.... i though that might be relevant but probably not