1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid hacks vs. Apple hacks

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Ry, May 23, 2010.

1. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

My best friend is a huge iPhone fanatic, has been since the very first one came out. Further worsening the situation, he's one of the top salesmen for AT&T corporate lol. Regardless of that, I've always hated Apple, before he even got his first iPhone. So I vowed to never buy one and have been very happy with my Blackberry and more recently my Droid :icon_ banana:

In the years he's has iPhone's, hes always delved into the jailbreaking scene. I love the guy, but he's not very tech savy, so I'm 100% certain that nothing he's done to that iPhone even remotely compares to truly customizing Android ROMs and/or apps.

The thing is, I don't really know a lot about jailbreaking iPhones. I know...Apples OS is still untouchable...jailbreaking allows access to third party apps...and thats about it. So my question is, if they're not altering the OS (because its not possible), how can they change themes, wallpapers, the "AT&T" logo on the taskbar, etc? Do they develop certain parts of the OS in on their own, speculating as to what the code is and keeping the UI identical to Apple's? Do they simply make apps that change this stuff, and if so, how is that possible?

I don't know a ton about computer programming (especially phone OSs), but without being able to alter the OS in some way, I don't understand how its possible for iPhones to be customized like this?

Furthermore, why haven't I seen more options such as this for Android? I'd love to be able to put whatever I want on the unlock screen (wallpaper, widget). And It'd be cool to do some funny stuff like changing "Verizon" to "Vagina". I know you can change boot anims and get themes and have customizable unlock wallpapers/sliders...so its not that Android can't be customized. It just seems like theres a lack of customization for all those little tiny things that'd be cool. I'm sure I could go through the whole OS and find out where to change that, but I dont have 10 years to learn linux/android and go through all the code.

On that note, is there anyway to make the right slider in the unlock screen "vibrate" instead of "mute"? I almost never mute my Droid, but I put it on vibrate multiple times a day.
  2. ska8r411

ska8r411 New Member

They access there phones via SSH to manually change things such as status icons. There are image files in the OS that can be changed. There's a app called "winterboatd" that handles all the themeing.
    I also love the fact that they get some nice and shiney app that does it all in 3clicks. We dont get that and I guarantee a lot of them would puss out if they had to start doing it our way.(adb,cmd)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. nfcrockett

nfcrockett New Member

Pulldown Editor in the market allows you to change "verizon" to "vagina"
  4. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

Well I had an ipod touch and I was a big jailbreaker most of the things that you can do with altering the os is the "theme" witch you just change the files images and the only other thing is to get apps for free compared to the Droid and other android devices jail breaking bearly scraches the surface of android hacking.
  5. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

oh i see. thanx for the input.
  6. bje1982

bje1982 New Member

[​IMG]

haha, ha, haha, ha he said vagina
  7. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

sweet. i just downloaded it but im running into some infinite boot problems! :icon_evil:
  8. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

thats what i figured
  9. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

It doesnt seem to be working.

I create a MM file but all thats in the folder is an XML document. So I tried a ZIP file, but in CW recovery, again, only an XML file. Is the ZIP file not stored in the theme folder?
Search tags for this page
android vs iphone hacking
apple vs android hacks
hacker reports iphone vs droid
how to hack into a samsung galaxy

information hacking: android vs iphones

which phone is easier to hack iphone or droid