Droid goes into Vibrate/Silent Mode

hinky

Reaction score
I can't explain why but I'll find that the Droid goes into silent / vibrate mode without warning. I don't know if this happens when I disconnect it from the USB but something triggers it.

I'm looking at these forums. It's actually humorous. If this was Microsoft people would be ripping them for releasing an alpha/beta product. As it stands now, I can't believe how many issues Android has and the very slow response time to simple things, such as the awful and obvious call log bug.

droider4life

Reaction score
I would say try downloading ringguard from the market in case ur accidentally bumping the volume key. This should fix ur silent issue..

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
I would say try downloading ringguard from the market in case ur accidentally bumping the volume key. This should fix ur silent issue..
I just confirmed this. I saw K9 check email and then I saw the vibrate icon go on. What the.....????? It seems to have a mind of its own going on at various times. I have a toggle settings app but it's not open and doesn't seem to be the culprit. This phone is in desperate need of having one of those toggle settings features built into the phone and it makes me wonder about design and whether 2.1 will come close to addressing all the needs Android has and the numerous bugs...

droider4life

Reaction score
I just confirmed this. I saw K9 check email and then I saw the vibrate icon go on. What the.....????? It seems to have a mind of its own going on at various times. I have a toggle settings app but it's not open and doesn't seem to be the culprit. This phone is in desperate need of having one of those toggle settings features built into the phone and it makes me wonder about design and whether 2.1 will come close to addressing all the needs Android has and the numerous bugs...
WOW.... so it went straight to vibrate on its own???? That is very weird. I have never experienced that at all. I know I had a habit of bumping the volume and it will jump straight to it on accident but nothing like that... to be honest I really don't have any "bugs" as u say. I wonder if u got a lemon or something?

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
People have all sorts of weird stuff going on here. I have no idea if it is just me, the apps I have installed, or what.

1) When I start up, at times, there will be no icons or anything at all on the wallpaper. It's just totally empty and the only thing I can do is open the main app area. On occasion this will also happen when an app quits.

2) The volume off happens at times as above or sometimes upon boot up it will boot into silent mode. Some might prefer it but I have to be aware of this to manually turn on the ringer.

3) Perhaps it is Advanced Task Killer starting up? Battery app that puts the percentage in the bar? I don't run many widgets so who knows.

As I said, this makes Palm OS and the Treo look perfect and spotless.

droider4life

Reaction score
I would start by getting rid of advanced task manager. I have read many many articles where that has caused a ton of strange problems. The android system doesn't need u to kill the apps it will take care of it on its own. I would not be surprised if that's what is causing ur problems. I don't run it and haven't had ur type of issues.. I am also running wholes/droidmod 2.05 and overclocked at 1hz and my phone runs flawlessly!!!

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
I would start by getting rid of advanced task manager. I have read many many articles where that has caused a ton of strange problems. The android system doesn't need u to kill the apps it will take care of it on its own. I would not be surprised if that's what is causing ur problems. I don't run it and haven't had ur type of issues.. I am also running wholes/droidmod 2.05 and overclocked at 1hz and my phone runs flawlessly!!!

I wish the Droid ran flawlessly. I get a lot of memory errors and not sure what it is. The only items running at the same time are weatherbug and battery indicator. The rest is not smooth and I get a LOT of delays (like dialing on the phone I have a full 2-3 second delay before anything happens) and I only have one widget running, just for datebooks. When I had almost no apps I had some issues as well... we'll see and thanks for the suggestions.

droider4life

Reaction score
Pm me and let me know if deleting that task killer works I am sure that's what is causing ur problems.. I have over 85 apps on my phone and I use four screens worth of stuff without delay.. are you running a different home screen?? Like home++ or panda??

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
Negative on any home screen, which is what is so surprising.

What Advanced Task Manger did tell me is there are several apps running "services" in the background. Not good. It seems stuff like TuneWiki and others will constantly run some type of update checking or downloading of data in the background for later usage. No way I can see to turn this off.

droider4life

Reaction score

What Advanced Task Manger did tell me is there are several apps running "services" in the background. Not good. It seems stuff like TuneWiki and others will constantly run some type of update checking or downloading of data in the background for later usage. No way I can see to turn this off.

Don't worry about the stuff running in the background you are slowing down the phone by killing this stuff.
Edit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

Last edited:
OP
H

hinky

Reaction score

Don't worry about the stuff running in the background you are slowing down the phone by killing this stuff.
Edit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

Thanks. I'm worried about the phone just working properly. I just started up the phone:

(1) The phone is now in silent mode. I hear it vibrating.

(2) The phone shows it is not in silent mode (gray icon indicator) yet it is only vibrating.

(3) Somehow a call went through and DIDNT even ring the phone and went through to VZW voice mail... yet Google Voice has been set to be voice mail. it doesn't show up, but there is a voice mail indicator on the phone. So now I had to undo the google voice, dial in, get the call. HOW did this happen?

Guys, this just has tons of bugs and I'm not the only one. Verizon, Motorola and Google owe every Droid owner a new Droid when they provide us with things that work. I should be compensated for bug fixing. I look at the forums every day here and there are dozens of entries here. This should not be the case.

Last edited:

droider4life

Reaction score

Thanks. I'm worried about the phone just working properly. I just started up the phone:

(1) The phone is now in silent mode. I hear it vibrating.

(2) The phone shows it is not in silent mode (gray icon indicator) yet it is only vibrating.

(3) Somehow a call went through and DIDNT even ring the phone and went through to VZW voice mail... yet Google Voice has been set to be voice mail. it doesn't show up, but there is a voice mail indicator on the phone. So now I had to undo the google voice, dial in, get the call. HOW did this happen?

Guys, this just has tons of bugs and I'm not the only one. Verizon, Motorola and Google owe every Droid owner a new Droid when they provide us with things that work. I should be compensated for bug fixing. I look at the forums every day here and there are dozens of entries here. This should not be the case.

This is a dumb question. I'm not trying to insult u or anything.I'm just checking but u have a ringtone set right? I know sometimes I get organizing my files with astro and move tones and get only vibrate so I'm just asking.. as for the Google voice stuff. I've never used it. Hopefully someone will Come to ur rescue!!

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
This is a dumb question. I'm not trying to insult u or anything.I'm just checking but u have a ringtone set right? I know sometimes I get organizing my files with astro and move tones and get only vibrate so I'm just asking.. as for the Google voice stuff. I've never used it. Hopefully someone will Come to ur rescue!!

LOL!!!! Nah, not a dumb question at all and thanks for asking. Yes, the ringtone is set. At times when I'll start up the phone after turning it off, disconnecting the Droid from a USB connection or at other times that I don't recall, the Droid will simply put itself into vibrate mode. I can turn it off by going into settings but can't explain why it does this at all.

droider4life

Reaction score

LOL!!!! Nah, not a dumb question at all and thanks for asking. Yes, the ringtone is set. At times when I'll start up the phone after turning it off, disconnecting the Droid from a USB connection or at other times that I don't recall, the Droid will simply put itself into vibrate mode. I can turn it off by going into settings but can't explain why it does this at all.

Ha ha glad I didn't offend u.LOL danger I wish I knew how to fix ur problem! Its reallyy bugging me! Did u try deleting ur task manager to see if maybe that's causing u greif?

MaxBobcat

Reaction score

Well, based on the fact that you're going into settings to turn your phone off vibrate, I'll assume that you are new to the droid.

Just use your volume up/down button on the right side of the phone to switch between vibrate and other ring volume/vibrate settings.