DROID getting extremely hot and battery dies.

smokey847

Reaction score
The past couple of days I have noticed my Motorola Droid getting very hot in my pocket. I've tried killing tasks, restarting, popping the battery out, etc. and it still never fails that it gets hot and then eventually dies more quickly than normal. I do not understand why it is doing this because I am not performing any trying tasks that should make the phone extremely hot or die. I, unfortunately, do not have warranty on this phone and would love to hear from someone who may have experienced a similar issue and/or knows a fix for it.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The past couple of days I have noticed my Motorola Droid getting very hot in my pocket. I've tried killing tasks, restarting, popping the battery out, etc. and it still never fails that it gets hot and then eventually dies more quickly than normal. I do not understand why it is doing this because I am not performing any trying tasks that should make the phone extremely hot or die. I, unfortunately, do not have warranty on this phone and would love to hear from someone who may have experienced a similar issue and/or knows a fix for it.

Thanks!

When it heats up like that it more then likely means you have an app running. What does your battery usage say? If it's using a lot of GPS you may want to look at apps like Beautiful Widgets and see if that's using an unusual amount of battery.

I have mine heat up from time to time and I know it's pulling battery but it doesn't do it to me consistently. I'd try and figure out what app is causing the issue.

Oh, one more thing. Are you rooted and overclocked? That can be an issue too if your SetCPU settings aren't right.

OP
S

smokey847

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not running any crazy apps. And it's 2.1 stock; I haven't begun messing with things yet. I have recently started using Google Latitude; however, i've used it for a while before this started happening. The latest app i've installed is Rehearsal Assistant, but it does not appear to be running in the background, so go figure. Battery use reads:

Display 44%
Email 17%
Android System 15%
Market 6%
Android OS 5%
Android Live Wallpapers 4%
Android Core Apps 4%

. . .and so on. Could this be something battery related? Should I try a new one?

beneharris

Reaction score
it seems kind of odd to me that email is using 17 percent battery. i've never seen that happen on mine.

i guess if you use email alot it could do that.

OP
S

smokey847

Reaction score
I found exactly what it was and apologize for not realizing it earlier. Earlier this week I, stupidly, tried to send a wav file recorded from Rehearsal Assistant to my buddy through email. It's been sitting in my outbox tryng to send for a week and that's why it as gettig so hot, as well, as Email using 17% of the battery! Stupid me. Thanks Beneharris for noticing!