Droid gets very hot when plugged into cigarette lighter in car

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by Vulcan1600, Jun 19, 2010.

1. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, is it the battery that gets hot, or just to the right of the camera on the back?

2. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere in here Vulcan rider that the droid can take 180 degrees fahrenheit and be fine=) I had my gps on and my droid in my lap on a sunny day, and when I picked up my black phone, it was friggin hot! It still worked great. I hear they are engineered to take a dashboard in death valley, all day! Did it smoke? Did it stink? I googled iphone burning smell and that was an issue with them? hehe

3. foolydooly

foolydooly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I been experimenting and when you're on 3G network intensively (downloading massive amounts at once, on Google Map doing GPS, etc) your phone will get hot if your phone is rooted. My brother's unrooted phone doesn't seem to have this problem, strangely enough.

I think there should be some experiments... But for now, I think you should cut apps and cut down on power and should be fine. OverClock app (SetCPU) might be one of the guilty party.

4. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Next time I travel, I think I will back down the O.C. and see if that makes a difference.

5. foolydooly

foolydooly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it is indeed strange; made me wonder "why is downloading taking so much power?" I only downloaded 5 apps at once, for jeez sake. It stayed toasty like hand-warmer for like 90 seconds during 90 degrees weather yesterday. Fun...

people from my dealer (who rooted and helped me with OC and all) recommended not to go over 1000MHz (SetCPU), as it's bad for battery after that. Also, they told me to set CPU Governor as "ondemand", though that part I never got to ask.

6. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Side note: I have two profiles set on my setcpu config that anyone having this issue should definitely look into. I imagine that you all have your own configurations to these, but these are mine and they work great.

First off, when the phone is charging I have it set to the stock speed of 550 with the min set as low as it will go. Charging it naturally generates more heat, so it seems only natural to configure it this way.

Also, I have the temp set to 50c @ 550 mhz max w/ min as low as it will go.

I agree with fooly in that your profs should be set to ondemand. I only switch mine to performance when I'm not configured under a profile and I need the boost. Kindda like nos in a car, you dont want to use it all the time.

7. Superjay

Superjay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lithium ion polymer batteries shouldn't be discharged completely. They dont' like it. it will cause shorter usage times and shorter battery life. There is firmware to keep the battery from being overcharged, so you can leave it plugged in all day, if you want.

The heat was most likely caused by the rapid discharge. If you had multiple apps running, causing the processor to run full speed, plus you were using nav, that means GPS, you were in the car, so you probably have the bluetooth on, possibly you forgot to turn wifi off... there is a very real possibility that the phone was discharging faster than the car charger was able to replenish power.

8. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I posted in another thread, on a 8 hour trip (one way) my Droid discharged died at 4 hours both ways on the VZW charger running GPS. No charge and it was also insanely hot. One way was in a windshield mount (thought is was the sun) the return was in the console (no sun) same results

I just recently made another trip of 4 hours. This time I had a Braketron holder/charger that plugs directly into the cig lighter with a short USB to the Droid. It made it to the 4 hours (death point on the VZW charger). I was at 50% charge and only about 104 degrees F

9. Superjay

Superjay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the VZW charger has lower ampacity than other USB chargers. Has anyone tried to plug the USB cable into the USB part of the VZW charger?

10. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend the motorola rapid charge car charger, I use it, though it gets hot, the charge remains at 100%.

11. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I call BS on 100% charge running GPS for any length of time

12. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've run the GPS on an hour and a half long trip, started at like 40%, ended at like 70%, and it wasn't plugged in the whole time.

Search tags for this page

car charger gets hot

car charger gets very hot
car charger gettin really hot in car.lighter
charger gets really hot in cigarette lighter

charger very hot in cigarette lighter

my android phone get's hot after charging via cigarette ligh
why cigarette lighter charger run hot
why cigarette outlet adapter for car so hot
why do cigarette lighter usb chargers get so hot

why is my phone charger getting so hot when plugged into my car