Droid gets very hot when plugged into cigarette lighter in car

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I been experimenting and when you're on 3G network intensively (downloading massive amounts at once, on Google Map doing GPS, etc) your phone will get hot if your phone is rooted. My brother's unrooted phone doesn't seem to have this problem, strangely enough.

I think there should be some experiments... But for now, I think you should cut apps and cut down on power and should be fine. OverClock app (SetCPU) might be one of the guilty party.
Next time I travel, I think I will back down the O.C. and see if that makes a difference.

foolydooly

Reaction score
it is indeed strange; made me wonder "why is downloading taking so much power?" I only downloaded 5 apps at once, for jeez sake. It stayed toasty like hand-warmer for like 90 seconds during 90 degrees weather yesterday. Fun...

people from my dealer (who rooted and helped me with OC and all) recommended not to go over 1000MHz (SetCPU), as it's bad for battery after that. Also, they told me to set CPU Governor as "ondemand", though that part I never got to ask.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Side note: I have two profiles set on my setcpu config that anyone having this issue should definitely look into. I imagine that you all have your own configurations to these, but these are mine and they work great.

First off, when the phone is charging I have it set to the stock speed of 550 with the min set as low as it will go. Charging it naturally generates more heat, so it seems only natural to configure it this way.

Also, I have the temp set to 50c @ 550 mhz max w/ min as low as it will go.

I agree with fooly in that your profs should be set to ondemand. I only switch mine to performance when I'm not configured under a profile and I need the boost. Kindda like nos in a car, you dont want to use it all the time.

Superjay

Reaction score
Lithium ion polymer batteries shouldn't be discharged completely. They dont' like it. it will cause shorter usage times and shorter battery life. There is firmware to keep the battery from being overcharged, so you can leave it plugged in all day, if you want.

The heat was most likely caused by the rapid discharge. If you had multiple apps running, causing the processor to run full speed, plus you were using nav, that means GPS, you were in the car, so you probably have the bluetooth on, possibly you forgot to turn wifi off... there is a very real possibility that the phone was discharging faster than the car charger was able to replenish power.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I posted in another thread, on a 8 hour trip (one way) my Droid discharged died at 4 hours both ways on the VZW charger running GPS. No charge and it was also insanely hot. One way was in a windshield mount (thought is was the sun) the return was in the console (no sun) same results

I just recently made another trip of 4 hours. This time I had a Braketron holder/charger that plugs directly into the cig lighter with a short USB to the Droid. It made it to the 4 hours (death point on the VZW charger). I was at 50% charge and only about 104 degrees F

Superjay

Reaction score
I guess the VZW charger has lower ampacity than other USB chargers. Has anyone tried to plug the USB cable into the USB part of the VZW charger?

kristoff125

Reaction score
I'd recommend the motorola rapid charge car charger, I use it, though it gets hot, the charge remains at 100%.

kristoff125

Reaction score
I've run the GPS on an hour and a half long trip, started at like 40%, ended at like 70%, and it wasn't plugged in the whole time.

captdroid

Reaction score
I'd recommend the motorola rapid charge car charger, I use it, though it gets hot, the charge remains at 100%.

I use the moto rapid charger and it keeps the charge at 100% unless the droid it seems gets very hot. Then it stops charging and the battery starts to discharge.

So far I have moved the mount to the top of the windshield so the phone is not in direct sunlight positioned just under the headboard. And I clock the phone down to 550 and turn the screen brightness down.

Without a doubt at least for me the problem is heat related. Only happens when the phone is baking in direct sunlight.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I've run the GPS on an hour and a half long trip, started at like 40%, ended at like 70%, and it wasn't plugged in the whole time.

I know what you mean. My gas tank gets fuller the farther I drive. Sometimes I have to stop and dump some out

kristoff125

Reaction score

I know what you mean. My gas tank gets fuller the farther I drive. Sometimes I have to stop and dump some out

I said it wasn't plugged in the whole time, not that it was unplugged the whole time. I unplugged it for about 20-30 minutes halfway through when it was getting too hot.
Anyways, I normally just wrap it around my AV vents and that keeps it nice and cool.

Supertom

Reaction score
Same thing with me

Just yesterday mine got really hot, and quit charging after 2 hours. Mine is still factory stock... not overclocked. And, I killed all other apps before using the Nav. I'm using the Motorola dock and charger. Somethings not right. Same thing happened with my old Droid that i drowned in the lake!

bryanbahr

Reaction score
Here's an oddity to throw into the equation- On Monday I was in a Hotel in Palm Springs. I plugged it in into the WALL outlet in the dark hotel room with my standard charger.

I went to breakfast, came back an hour later and my Battery was DOWN 20% and the Phone was Frying at 136 Degrees F, the hottest I've ever seen it.

Yes I was in the desert, but my Hotel room was a cool 60 F with the AC on.

Thoughts?