Droid gets a bit fiesty and hot on gpa14

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by doublea500, Apr 19, 2011.

1. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

Like I said my droid BATTERY is getting hot. I've been using gpa14 for 2 months (about) and I've never had this problem. The problem started when I arrived at florida(comming from new york). I'm pretty sure the problem has to do something with being at florida. Not from the warmer temp, but I think from longer distance for connection possibly. I'm not sure... it hovers around 95-104. I don't really like using it anywhere over 100. At ny, it usually stayed in the low 90s. I'm using the stock 600mhz kernel so that should lower the heat if anything. I'm going to try to take wifi off so it'll start searching for it, ill see if that works. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. DHO

DHO New Member

Sounds like your phone is asking for GPA 15

Are you in a rural area? Are you searching for 3G or signal?
  3. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

No, I am fine with 3g connection. Imma look into 15 and look at the changelog

4. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

is the problemm with the rom or kernel?
  5. GilmourD3

GilmourD3 New Member

One thing I learned from overclocking PCs and using crazy fans and heatsinks to cool them... Ambient temperature is going to affect your operating temperature. My PC runs warmer when the house temperature is warmer.

From what I've been seeing, temperatures are about 10-15 degrees hotter in Florida, so that makes sense to me.

However... Also... What's up with your NY temperature? I live in NJ, so we have similar weather. My phone right now is 77*F as per Battery Indicator Pro with the 1GHz low-voltage kernel under GPA14.
  6. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

Well I'm pretty sure the outside temp has nothing to do with droid temp. I switched to gpa15 and it didn't really fix the problem so I really think it has something to do with florida

7. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

Actually it may have to do with the outside temp. 76-83 degrees...

8. GilmourD3

GilmourD3 New Member

One thing to learn about passive cooling (cooling using heatsinks and fans or even water cooling, which is more efficient but still not active cooling) is that you can NEVER cool a processor below ambient temperature. Usually, even at that point, you're still several degrees warmer than ambient.

That is true until you get into active cooling, like using TECs or doing what my friend Mark did (dropping his PC without a case into a vat of dry ice). At that point, you're cooling with something that's below ambient.

I haven't seen any smartphone boards with heatsinks on them, especially since there's no way to get airflow through them... So, yeah, a chip without any cooling system is going to run warmer than ambient.

I'm still concerned, though, given that even in NY with its much cooler temperatures you were running in the 90* range. Was this idle or after a lot of use?
  9. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

In ny the temp was fine. When it was idle in ny it was high 70s to low 80s. Somewhere around there (I don't really check too often when its idle). After a bit of use id say it would be at 94 or somethin

10. GilmourD3

GilmourD3 New Member

Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with the ambient temperature difference, then. Nothing abnormal about what you're talking about.
  11. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

Well ill be back in ny tm so...

12. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

no problem with it in ny guys. guess it was something having to do with florida.
  13. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

I hope I'm not too late to take a stab it this. It may not be just florida, but it is probably the 3g coverage. Due to low 3g coverage, your phone can heat up more, and use more battery. so i recommend that you turn off your mobile data while in low coverage zones. You will still recieve text messages and phone calls, no worries!
  14. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Everyone here is running WELL below the TI's danger zone. These chips are designed to handle hotter temperatures than typical PC cpus. The battery however is a different story. When if overheats, your phone will reboot/shutdown. If the battery is continously stressed at this heat then you might end up at the local shop buying a new one. If memory serves (don't quote me on this) this temperature is around 130°... at least somewhere in this range.

When I'm stressing my CPU, I commonly get up to 120-130° on my CPU. If you have the CPU hit enough to damage it, I'm guessing that you wouldn't be able to put your hand on the back without it burning. Now, this is when running an overclocked kernel. I've only been able to overheat my phone's battery though to the point of shutting down a few times. The perfect scenario for this...Using the phones GPS navigation while the phone is mounted in the car in the summer and the sun is pounding down on it, oh and while plugged into the car's charger too :)
  15. AmukamraIsAGiant

AmukamraIsAGiant New Member

Droid recently brought back to life.

Hello, i want to ask if you ever couldn't turn the Droid back on while you were experiencing the issues, and noticed the phone was hot?
    Mine wouldn't go past the red-eye logo and then i learned i needed to press X + Power and that got me back to where i could boot it up. I still have GPA 14 on the Droid, but i'm thinking since now it is again running hot, that i may try to go with a stock kernel. Can anybody direct me to a good one via linking me?
    The Droid today just froze, and needed a battery pull, and was very hot again in the back next to the camera. My wife is using this now and i want to try and get it to where it requires less probability of this happening. But i still want a ROM that's reliable like the GPA group has provided me.

16. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

thats probably it

whenever i saw my droid getting hot, i quickly shut it down. so no i did not have a problem turning it on. also, with the red eye logo, thats called Boot-loop. it happens sometimes when you flash a new rom, kernel, theme... it means your phone isnt agreeing with the new thing (idk...). it once happened to me in my early rooting stages (a year ago) when i flashed a rom ontop of another rom because i didnt know that i had to wipe. and the droid does freeze every once in a while. especially droid 1 on gingerbread. my droid usually does 1 every 3 days or so. try using cyanogenmod 7.02 stable, with stock kernel, see if the battery runs less hot. it does for me:D. it runs smoothly too.