droid freezes up

cruisertrek

Reaction score
Has anyone else had thier droid freeze up, with the only way to correct it is to pull the battery?

My droid is doing that several times a day now. When I push the button on top to activate the touch screen, the back light comes on, and the buttons on the bottom light up, but the main screen remains dark. Then I have to pull the battery.

And sometimes, the touch screen comes on, but won"t respond, and I have to pull the battery.

It did both those things 3 times last night in a span of 4 hours.

Any suggestions?

OP
C

cruisertrek

Reaction score
droid freezes up additional info

I went to the Verizon store, and they installed a newer app killer. They said that I had to many apps running in the background.

I hope this helps somebody.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
C

cruisertrek

Reaction score
You don't want a task killer, that's not going to necisarilly help your problem and it may hurt you in the long run.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

As for your problem, how often do you power the phone down?
When you exit an aplication do you use the back button or the home button?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
I hardly ever power it down. It's my main business phone. When I exit an app, I usualy use the home button.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok that's probably what's causing your problem and the need for a task killer.
you should find time to power your phone down and reboot it at least a few times a week, I personally reboot my phone every night before I go to sleep. Think of it as a computer, which needs to be rebooted almost every day to perform at its best.
as for exiting apps, use the back button not the home button. The nature of the native task killer tells the phone that if you push the back button to exit all the way out of an app then you are done with it, but if you use thee home button it tells the phone that you have to do something else real quick and then return to it so it leaves it running in the background.

OP
C

cruisertrek

Reaction score
This info will help. Although I use my droid as an alarm clock, I'll power it down, then plug it in.

Thanks.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can just power it down and turn it right back on that's what I meant by when I go to bed. As i'm laying down I power the phone down and turn it right back on since I also use mine as an alarm. Let us know if problems persist and we'll go from there, but this info should aleviate most of the stress on the phone.

David5950

Reaction score
Droid 2 Freezes Up, Goes Inop

As I've noted on another post, I have experienced the same problem as many with my Droid 2 suddenly becoming inoperative; the screen goes dark, and I am left with only two options: (1) I keep pusing the power button down for extended periods of time, anywhere from two to more than twelve times; eventually the unit shuts off and reboots (the red thingy comes into view), and the unit will then function - for a while - until it will happen again. (2) I pull the battery. This will immediately and invariably fix the problem - for a while - but who wants to have to pull the battery several times every day.

I have spoken with Verizon, and not surprisingly I'm told they have no record of others having this problem. They then offer to replace the phone with an Incredible. I'm tempted, even though I really like the keyboard feature on the Droid 2.

Has anybody heard anything definitive from Motorola about this? Has anybody had this problem, subsequently finding that if they indeed exit programs using the "back arrow," and reboot once daily that the problem is solved? Or is this a pervasive, intermittent problem that can only be fixed by, well, switching to the HTC device?

I am anxious to hear people's thoughts..........

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The phone freezing up is often a symptom of poor maintanence. Leaving too many things running in the background by exiting with the home button will be quite taxing. Also not regularly rebooting the phone can cause a myriad of issues including but not limited to: phone freezes, general laginess, failure to load media apropriately. These things may not fix your problem and if that's the case its probably a bum phone.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Following the previous posts in thus thread, you're still having this issue?

As I've noted on another post, I have experienced the same problem as many with my Droid 2 suddenly becoming inoperative; the screen goes dark, and I am left with only two options: (1) I keep pusing the power button down for extended periods of time, anywhere from two to more than twelve times; eventually the unit shuts off and reboots (the red thingy comes into view), and the unit will then function - for a while - until it will happen again. (2) I pull the battery. This will immediately and invariably fix the problem - for a while - but who wants to have to pull the battery several times every day.

I have spoken with Verizon, and not surprisingly I'm told they have no record of others having this problem. They then offer to replace the phone with an Incredible. I'm tempted, even though I really like the keyboard feature on the Droid 2.

Has anybody heard anything definitive from Motorola about this? Has anybody had this problem, subsequently finding that if they indeed exit programs using the "back arrow," and reboot once daily that the problem is solved? Or is this a pervasive, intermittent problem that can only be fixed by, well, switching to the HTC device?

I am anxious to hear people's thoughts..........

DroidForums junkie!!

David5950

Reaction score
Yes, still having the issue. And this is the third Droid I've had - at least the second that has the same problem. I do have alot of apps, but reboot somewhat regularly (I'm forced to).

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
At least once a day? And you're using the back button only to exit applications? How many widgets are you running?

Yes, still having the issue. And this is the third Droid I've had - at least the second that has the same problem. I do have alot of apps, but reboot somewhat regularly (I'm forced to).

DroidForums junkie!!

David5950

Reaction score
Ah, no, I have not only been using the "back arrow" to exit programs. I was wondering, above, if that would, or should indeed fix my problem. The problem does seem pretty prevasive, in reading various posts - but then again, exiting using the home button is probably a pretty common occurence amongst users. I will do a battery pull, which I would assume will kill everything, and start over now, taking care to only exit programs using the back arrow - let's see if that makes a difference! I will report accordingly in a day or two.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you pull the battery leave it out for at least thirty seconds and see if it doesn't help you.

tappin and a talkin

otfreebird

Reaction score
I have the Droid Incredible through Verizon wireless. I have had it for 8 months and have had 3 replacements and 2 batteries sent out to me to solve the problem of the reboot loop.

I am wondering who is the service providers for other with this freezing/rebooting problem. The reason I ask is that I as suspicious that it might be a software problem related to the service provider. I'm just trying to narrow down what could be the root problem.