Droid Forums Rescue Squad

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jstafford1, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +223
    I would like to propose a quasi official rescue squad for Droid Forums. I see so many questions asked over and over and have walked a few people through issues, I think we need a dedicated group that is here for the little guy. Similar to how the ROMs section is have a list of people and times they are availible to assist. I think this could be very useful and help teach some of the newer droiders how to root and mod the right way.

What do you guys think?

2. HermitObserver

HermitObserver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think:...... That's a great flippin' idea and I want to be a rescuer!!!!!!!!!

3. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    I've been thinking about this suggestion for a while. Have to see how this thread goes and what the moderators and admins say.

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'll help!

Mike

5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas DF Super Moderator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,156
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I trend to help as much as I can anyway...I'm starting a new job that will cause me to be kinda "on-call" so idk how good of an idea of a schedule I can give for when I'll be free, but I'd be more than happy to help out whenever i can!

6. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    Was thinking we could have people that have like specialties, like theme issues, sprecovery, rooting, and general phone issues. Not everyone has to have a scheduled time to assist but like for me I know I am available to help mon-fri 3pm-10pm EST. I just think having some go to guys could be a help to the community as a whole.

7. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ill do what I can!

8. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Guys you are already on the rescue squad as that is what the forums are all about.

9. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    That's is true....I was going for a more personal touch. I've enjoyed helping people on here and just though it could help organize information and give some people a sense of direction with questions. Don't you like knowing there's someone there to help? Sometimes I see these frantic posts of "I bricked my phone!" With this setup you would see someone is there to help right then not maybe someone might answer. I've seen a few posts of people having to bump their own post to get an answer. This could alleviate some of these and make people feel even more welcome here.

10. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoy helping people when I can :)

11. JimMariner

JimMariner Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have pushed this up the food chain here @ DF, I will let you know how it turns out, or you will see a change in the forums to reflect this idea.

I personally Like this Idea !!!! :icon_ devil:

12. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    Thank you JimMariner. Looking forward to seeing something happen on this!

13. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i like the idea too. not sure how to make it happen, but i'm sure it is doable on some level. remember though, there are some of us that put our gtalk address in our sigs for reasons such as these..

what would you suggest? a sticky with gtalk info so one could contact someone directly for assistance? a scheduled "class time" maybe twice a week where someone runs through the basics in a chat room? maybe just improve on the FAQ section (which we are working on anyway)? what exactly are you looking for?

the problem with gtalk is that whatever issues are solve are not recorded on the forums, so its not beneficial for everyone else. also, 40k members are likely to have an answer faster than any one person. the problem with a chat room is the same as gtalk, nothing recorded for others and a relatively small audience...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  14. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas DF Super Moderator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,156
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I agree about the gtalk thing! I've walked people through the adb guide you'll find in my sig via gtalk, only to have to update the thread, but what happens when you're simply responding to a question? Doesn't seem like it makes sense to create a thread with the chat history in it...

Idk...

When I messed my phone up last night, I got a pretty damn quick response from at least a handful of members, and we stayed in the thread as opposed to moving to gtalk. Not only did I get the problem solved with wonderful help, NOW there's a record, so I agree there...

If you went with a "class" idea, you'd most certainly have to create a thread where the "minutes" of the class could be posted for anyone who missed it/people who joined after the class...

TBH though, I didn't even know the forum had a FAQs section...lol

15. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    Not totally sure on how to implement it, but my thoughts were to have a group of voulunteers that have times listed they are availible to help. Can have it setup like the ROM section, instead of Devs, have categories for issues. I know people have gtalk and other methods of communicating with them in sigs, but I look around alot and see a great deal of posts where people need help and either may not get a quick response for one reason or another. Sometimes people just link them to another thread or don't have the time to stick with someone and walk through the issue. I recently helped someone over the course of 3 days to get their phone straightened out. This was through gtalk. Now we could use gtalk as a means of working out the issue, and to keep the threads clean and orderly have the person who helped write a synopsis of what happened and how it was resolved here so others can read it. The concept needs some fleshing out, but I think having a "go-to" crew here on the forum would benefit everyone. Like I've said before it is just an idea I wanted to see if could, or wanted to be done. I understand if the staff doesn't think it's needed and am fine with that. I just enjoy helping out around here and am trying to think of ways to improve the process.