Droid forums Android phone kickstarter.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
We should be innovative wth this and look into flexible screens... from Samsung.. and possibly willow glass.. but at the same time... I don't want to have screen breakage issues...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Really, liftedplane's idea is innovative. Could you imagine if this really did happen, perhaps not to the extreme that I mused, but it's really not that far-fetched. With the reach of this forum, and then from there, the reach of all the Facebook and Twitter and other social networking links our membership has, it could take off like wildfire - even faster than ouya. What we'd need of course, is a really skilled video and some talented design engineers, and it could actually happen.

coderror

Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about how if we got Google, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, and a host of others together to make The "1PHONE" (a little play on words there...), taking all the best from each, radios - Motorola, screen - Samsung and/or LG, GUI - Motorola and HTC - MotoSense or SenseBlur, Sony - Music Player, Apple/Nvidia - Graphic Engine (yeah, I know...Apple=traitor!), Intel/Qualcomm/Texas Instruments/Apple - Processor, and Google for the Android OS, what a phone it would be!

if they did that, noone will buy any other phone for a long loooong time :) .. and companies will never allow this to happen unfortunately.

so lets formalize the specs?

Display:
- size: 4.5" | 4.6" | 4.7 | 4.8"
- type: HD Super AMOLED Plus | LCD
- with scratch resistant and water proof coating
Memory:
- RAM: 2GB - 4GB
- storage: 32 GB | 64 GB
Camera:
- type: carl zeiss | nikon
- MPs: 13MP to 41MP
- Secondary front facing: yes
Chipset:
- type: intel | Qualcomm | Nvidia
- frequency: 1.5 GHz to 2.0 GHz (dual core | quad core)
- GPU: Adreno | intel | Nvidia
- Pure Google Android 4.1
Battery:
- Size: 3000mAH+
Body: Full Kevlar back

am i missing something?

Last edited:
OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Really, liftedplane's idea is innovative. Could you imagine if this really did happen, perhaps not to the extreme that I mused, but it's really not that far-fetched. With the reach of this forum, and then from there, the reach of all the Facebook and Twitter and other social networking links our membership has, it could take off like wildfire - even faster than ouya. What we'd need of course, is a really skilled video and some talented design engineers, and it could actually happen.

Thanks FoxKat,

I can do video editing, and I can help with design, I can learn coding but with the seriously talented coders we already have all we'd need is a good design team, it would have to be a complete AOSP device, I mean... look at how fast ouya took off.

I'd of course want it to be on VZW but.... then wouldn't they have to support it? or how does that work? that's where I get confused... that's where I get lost. can we design an lte device that will work on vzw and sell it ourselves to work on their network without EVER selling it in their stores, meaning it's a 100% complete developer user made device and those big red gorillas cannot tell us whether it has a locked bootloader or not.

as for flexible and going all out, I'd love to do that but I think designing the perfect dev device first... and seeing how it goes THEN branching out and going crazy is a better idea.

so we'd need coders, designers, testers, we'd definitely need to find a company that can build it...

we first would need to know what we are building etc etc..

I'm getting out of the army very very soon... I need something to do to fill my time, and getting a job doesn't seem like something I'd want to do... something like this... something I enjoy, that's what I'd want to do.

so if you are seriously interested in being involved let me know, lets put our community to good use and instead of just being a thorn in the side of VZW show them we mean business and we are tired of being jerked around and told we can't do what we want to do.

what kind of specs would we seriously want? I'm thinking it would need to feel solid like motorola device with a completely out of this world top of the line spec sheet... i.e.

4.8" capacitive HD touchscreen
3300 mah battery
1.5 ghz quad core processor which would be completely overclockable... or who knows maybe the best dual core that stomps all current quad cores.
at LEAST 2gb of ram if not more.
32gb of built in memory with the option to put up to 64gb micro sd card
a full HD 12+ megapixel camera and as FFC with as high a res as possible
A FREAKING CAMERA BUTTON ON THE BOTTON RIGHT!!!! yes... why the hell did these developers get rid of this.... it needs to come back
a micro hdmi port... who knows maybe we could get googorola to license us webtop to use in the device, that would be cool
complete AOSP built with a completely unlocked bootloader so you can install whatever you want AOKP CM10 etc etc...
instead of charging the bazillions of dollars most manufacturers charge make only a little bit on each device, don't break even, and don't lose money,but definitely don't double the development cost.... like if it takes 200 to design the phone then sell it for 300 or 250
the best GPU out there, which allows us to play the best games... have controller support so that way we can play said games on our TV's
NFC? maybe... who knows.

there is of course sooooo much more that and yeah there could be some seriously problems, but whose to say people wouldn't lo love it...

and a name... hm... I like dominator that's pretty epic but... not sure if people would really like it... we'd want to make sure not only those of us here would want it, but but joe regular and nancy nobody who get's roped into buying those phones in stores would hear about it and want it.

DF systems... yeah that could be the name of the company rofl... since we did start here on droid forums, I'm pretty sure that droid is trademarked by VZW or lucasfilm or something, so we'd have to be careful with names.

now who's with me... lets design our own phone and see it through

if they did that, noone will buy any other phone for a long loooong time
smile.png
.. and companies will never allow this to happen unfortunately.

so lets formalize the specs?

Display:
- size: 4.5" | 4.6" | 4.7 | 4.8"
- type: HD Super AMOLED Plus | LCD
- with scratch resistant and water proof coating
Memory:
- RAM: 2GB - 4GB
- storage: 32 GB | 64 GB
Camera:
- type: carl zeiss | nikon
- MPs: 13MP to 41MP
- Secondary front facing: yes
Chipset:
- type: intel | Qualcomm | Nvidia
- frequency: 1.5 GHz to 2.0 GHz (dual core | quad core)
- GPU: Adreno | intel | Nvidia
- Pure Google Android 4.1
Battery:
- Size: 3000mAH+
Body: Full Kevlar back

am i missing something?

you beat me to it... I like what you've got only I prefer 4.8 over 4.5 maybe, just maybe, we can get AMD to design some kind of mobile GPU, if I'm not mistaken they are currently the best GPU maker in the pc world....

I'd say dual core, single core quad core, it doesn't matter as long as it's super efficient and stomps the competition.

full kevlar back, I love it... maybe some kind of waterproof up to x meters type of thing.. that'd be pretty cool.

64gb of storage is a great idea... but how feasible is it? how expensive would it be? though I really like the idea.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm completely on board. I've done quite a bit of research in crowd funding for my other business, artists management, and so I feel I have a strong understanding about what drives support.

This could be a record-setter if we take some careful lessons from the other recent success of ouya.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KooLBradeR

Reaction score
Let's Make It Real!

I'd say dual core, single core quad core, it doesn't matter as long as it's super efficient and stomps the competition.

Wow. U've really thought this through and is serious. I saw this but thought it would just be another hyped up dream but seeing your committment made me realize if I can contribute I might help make this dream come true. I'm a Computer Science student majoring in Artificial Intelligence and I love doing some video editing in my spare time so I'll help out the best way I can.

Ok so, 1st thing I would like to propose for the phone is to make it international so we can help spread the best device possible to each and every individual that wants it, not just in the states seeing as a lot of our members are also from other countries. Then I'm thinking we just need to narrow down the specs sheet which has been done so that's great. We can add or remove some specs in the near future when we're done with design phases and move onto the manufacturing phase.

For the design, I suggest we select a few members to help design the phone in and out but we have to seclude them. Theres reasons why big companies like Apple and Motorola are being so secretive. Trade secrets, patents, design influence and so much more. We have to gather a team and communicate via other means than this forum such as Skype and instant messaging platforms. The forum will still be the place where we take in all the ideas and designs and hopes from all our members but we cannot reveal our designs nor out plans publicly without general consent.

I'm all for beta testing but we have to be real if we want this project to work. We have to start slow, establish a chain of command and then plan out the phases of development. Then we can decide on things like how we intend the outer appearence to be, how are we going to fit and organize all of the circuitry into this beastful machine and yet get a relatively slim profile (I don't mind a bit of weight, gives the phone a more real feeling), which manufacturer do we go to for production, how much are we going to sell it for, when would we launch it and so on and so forth.

Please tell me what you guys think and inform me if you guys think I'm wrong or going off topic but I really think we need to establish what I've said above FIRST in order for us to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Let's make this dream a reality guys!

P.S. I like the name The Beast since we all think it's gonna be a beast of a phone. :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
so what spots would we need, what spots would need to be filled.

I do really like the idea of this being international... however I think we definitely need a vzw version as well... unless we simply make it all around every damn spectrum lte... which is a good idea either way.

so.. positions...

of course there needs to be the product designers.

software developers, coders etc... the people who make the drivers work and such

pr? we would probably need one or two people that were the public face of this... who talks to the other companies and the manufacturers etc. or would this fall under the lead designers.

I'm sure there's more obviously but it's getting crazy late and I can't think of anymore.

oh and as for size I SERIOUSLY think it should be razr maxx size... maybe a tiny tiny bit thicker, but no more if we can get away with it... and also.... absolutely NO capacitive buttons... make it all screen... it could literally be 4.8" with a tiny bezel and be literally all screen with on screen buttons... I like the idea. the device would have a huge screen with absolutely nothing else.... which would make it smaller... basically imagine if the whole bionic front was a screen up to the little silver edge.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Agree about virtually everything so far. Forgot to mention, I am 100% for a dedicated shutter button for the camera. I love the dedicated button on my old OG Droid & D2, and can't stand the awkwardness of the on-screen button.

What we should do is start by trading gtalk and/or email/phone. I'm old-school and feel voice communications are crucial in many situations. PM those who you feel are worthy of being on the team, and since the idea was liftedplane's, obviously the initial team selection starts and ends there. Once key players in specific rules have been chosen the responsibilities would be decided.

coderror

Reaction score
maybe add the dream spec sheet in the first page, this way people can have a go at it if they have any suggestions.

also, i would recommend against single core, as apps just started to take advantage of multi-core, ... dual core should be a minimum if we want the device to have a chance to be future proof, as even if a single core is very efficient for now, it wont be in the near future

we should do some more research on components and its costs from different manufactures, .. we definitely need a communication person(s) who is willing to communicate with different manufacturers and get quotes of different components.

regarding the drivers / software how about we get the Cyanogenmod team on board, they have a lot of experience dealing with this and this will save time, why re-invent the "whole" wheel right?

Last edited:

KooLBradeR

Reaction score
I agree with the phone having tiny bezel. All through the years, phones that has a bigger than average bezel are considered ugly and low quality. But I also think that 4.8 inches might be too big for some people (think of all the women with small hands) or might be too small for some people (think of all the people that cant really see well) which is why we should do a poll for the design phase once we're done establishing our bases.

I'm doing my assignments right now so I can't think of the proper organizational structure that we need either. It would be best for each of us to give our ideas once we've rested and have thought it out thoroughly..

Indeed it would be best to have a vzw version but u must remember that Kickstarter is also worldwide and we need backers from all over the world. I doubt that we'd get much funding from International companies if we didn't make it international.

I have some friends that are good with managements and I have some friends as corporate giants, I can schedule a meeting w them to ask for their advice on this. My uncle is also one of the big guys at a telecommunications company. I'll ask him for advise and which manufacturers we should go to.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Dual core is a minimum imho, and with quad core being more efficient as well as faster, that's the direction I am suggesting we strive toward. I would hope that screen swipes could be as smooth as are on the iPhone, so perhaps devoting one core to that purpose would achieve the fluidity desired.

Form factor can remain MAXX in size and thickness. The "hump"is almost non-existent on the MAXX, but it serves an important purpose. Without the slight hump, the speaker would be flat against any surface the phone lays on and the ringer, movie sound and speakerphone would all suffer muted sound. If you look at the design of the OG Droid and D2 at least, there is a small lip on the bottom back edge off the phone designed to lift the bottom edge slightly to allow the speaker to play to the open air.

Last edited:

KooLBradeR

Reaction score
also, i would recommend against single core, as apps just started to take advantage of multi-core, ... dual core should be a minimum if we want the device to have a chance to be future proof, as even if a single core is very efficient for now, it wont be in the near future

I suggest using Intel Atom processors as they're using hyperthreading which I think is physically better than having multiple cores. Also, They're planning on making smaller and better chips in the next few years..

x98s.jpg

It also has built in GPU that can save us some money and space. And history speaks for itself that Intel chips are far more stable and superior againsts ARM.

we should do some more research on components and its costs from different manufactures, .. we definitely need a communication person(s) who is willing to communicate with different manufacturers and get quotes of different components.

regarding the drivers / software how about we get the Cyanogenmod team on board, they have a lot of experience dealing with this and this will save time, why re-invent the "whole" wheel right?

I like having Cyanogenmod on board. They're all about openness and freedom of choice. I'm sure they'd love to be a part of this project.

Last edited:
OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am 100% more than willing to talk to manufacturers as well... I'm currently helping a family friend with launching a business... by helping I mean I do all the IT and help with any word processing and spreadsheet or presentation work he needs cause he's computer stupid :biggrin::happy3: and I've been doing alot of talking to manufacturers. I also do alot of phone talking for my own personal internet marketing and it's a skill I've developed and actually become good at.

I agree dual core at a min... but I really think the push for a super efficient and powerful quad would be best. at least 2 gb of ram no less... 4gb if it's feasible. AND the best possible GPU out there for a phone.

I have small hands for a guy and the bionic is the perfect size, I am starting to like the razr as well so.... no bigger than that... the s3 feels very nice too... I think it has to be that size and no bigger or it'll just be to big. if we can get a 4.8 amoled HD screen into something the size of the maxx then wonderful... if not 4.6 would work as well... just gotta remember if we use on screen buttons like the Gnex then we are giving up some screen space

also... what about 1080P hd? would that be feasible... a 4.8" amoled 1080P screen.

I do think that a mini hdmi port is completely mandatory, I use my phone with HDMI quite often... and having to buy another damn thing to haul around like samsung require just irks me. if it's not at all possible then I guess include the adapter WITH the phone, I'd love if there would be a way to get webtop on it... or a variant of it.

oh and I actually don't mind the hump... it's small enough and it servers a purpose.

and yes, camera button for sure... I miss em and I'm still baffled as to what idiot executive thought removing them was a good idea. it goes from industry standard to.... gone... in what one phone generation.

okay it's two hours later than when I was going to bed... I'm getting off now. I've got far to many ... going on and I can't coherently complete a thought.

I suggest using Intel Atom processors as they're using hyperthreading which I think is physically better than having multiple cores. Also, They're planning on making smaller and better chips in the next few years..

x98s.jpg

It also has built in GPU that can save us some money and space. And history speaks for itself that Intel chips are far more stable and superior againsts ARM.

forgot about HT... maybe if intel has a dual core atom in the works. the only problem is... how good is their onboard graphics? in the PC market they've been.. well less than stellar... I know this is a phone but still... it absolutely has to be able to play these amazing games that are out now.

It helps that Intel is just a two hour jont down the road from me in hillsboro and I've been to the intel campus numerous times... being from Portland and all.

Last edited:

KooLBradeR

Reaction score
Form factor can remain MAXX in size and thickness. The "hump"is almost non-existent on the MAXX, but it serves an important purpose. Without the slight hump, the speaker would be flat against any surface the phone lays on and the ringer, movie sound and speakerphone would all suffer muted sound. If you look at the design of the OG Droid and D2 at least, there is a small lip on the bottom back edge off the phone designed to lift the bottom edge slightly to allow the speaker to play to the open air.

Ahh. Yes! I forgot about that. Wanted to say something about this earlier. A lot of people complain that the hump is ugly but it is necessary for quality. I'll ask some of my designer friends to think of a concept that would recreate the effect of the hump but without making it look ugly.

Last edited: