Droid finally rooted!!!

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by phamous, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boatman2220

boatman2220 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading this thread with lots of interest. I updated my phone last night just fine. I'll wait on ROOTING it for awhile as I'm still learning. Hope this grows into something were everyday non-programmers can learn more about how to do the things that others are doing with their phones. Yes I agree read and learn, but someones got to lead and do some instructing along the way sometimes. This place has been a big help in learning the ins and out of the Droid. Thanks to everyone that has helped. :byeBB:

2. lagtastic

lagtastic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow, great news!

is there a cisco group based vpn client once we root the phone or do i have to do a shell script?

it makes me cry that im the only non iphoned sysadmin at work and because of it, cant currently vpn in to emergency maintain servers. cant wait to give this a go.

3. noisufnoc

noisufnoc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the possibilities are endless. :icon_ banana:

so do I have to have a windows machine to accomplish this? are there any methods of getting to the droid root prompt via a linux machine?

4. nothing0

nothing0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can we get the prompt on a Mac?

5. grash

grash New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update and root procedures work fine on Linux. I'm using Ubuntu Karmic with the SDK installed and was able to perform the update and the root with no problems following the posted instructions.

6. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Question:
    If you root the Droid how to you go about un-rooting it? FMI

7. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how did you get it to work locally?

After using this the other day, I was unable to run "ShootMe" which is a screenshot app which needs root access. It said my phone was probably not rooted when I tried to use it.

8. Drukan

Drukan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so ive just read through 16 pages of ... what ever all that was. I understand the process, i understand the REASONS... I even get the "the possibilities are ENDLESS" bull$h!t.... and now im gonna ask....

NOW THAT WE HAVE ROOT... and everyones doin it... what is there AVAILABLE NOW... to do with it???... Are there any worth while root apps?, has anyone made any custom ROMs? or are we all just stickin our hand in the cookie jar becuz we CAN, before we know what kinda cookies are in there?
    OR, should people like me askin this question wait till Devs annouce that they have these precious mods ready for us users to play with?

9. sir

sir Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i love how the device has been rooted for 48 hours and everyone wants NOW NOW NOW! How about you give time to those who are attempting to put an effort into making awesome stuff for YOU to enjoy.

There's plenty of threads all over with information things you CAN do if you truly care. But I'd suggest you take the time, like many others, and wait until announcements are made.

We are doing what we can to bring things like the SenseUI to the Droid, or a recovery set people can use in the event of a problem, as well as directions in 50 different levels of comprehension so no matter how technical you are you understand what is happening.

It's time consuming work and isn't something that just happens overnight.

10. phamous

phamous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the first thing that developers need to get is a recovery image with nandroid support. You don't wanna be messing with your phone too much at this point, because the droid doesn't have any compatible rom images out there that you would be able to reflash in the event that you do mess something up.

there aren't any community roms out for the droid right now so for most people, rooting their phones is just a waste of time. Though if you are an enthusiast, you might just want to do it for the hell of it

11. Drukan

Drukan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the Simple str8 answer Phamous. Guess ill kick back and see what comes... if theres nothing out yet to jump into gives me more time to learn about the rest of android.

12. Drukan

Drukan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @Sir... ,
    I believe you missed my point when jumpin in on the NOW NOW NOW deal. Read Phamous' reply to me (he got it). I was merely askin (in typical newbie forum fashion, since thats seems to be how to get a reply, good or bad) if this was something that everyone should be jumpin into or if its just the first step to whats to come, and if those learning and wanting to try this should jump in or wait for the "content" that rooting allows, to come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
droid finaly rooted
drula333@gmail.com
e:failed to read footer from / sdcard/update.zip
e:failed to read footer from /cache/
e:failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip (is a direct

e:failed to read footer from/sdcard/update.zip

failed to read footer from sd card update.zip signature veri
https://rapidshare.com/files/318204448/droid-root.zip.html
install cwm-root-gtab2 signature failed