Droid feeling slightly loose

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by sal33n, Jan 4, 2010.

1. sal33n

sal33n New Member

Ok let me see if I can explain. The Droid itself seems sturdy and the display slides good with no problems of it feeling loose or sliding out too easily. The problem is when the keyboard is not extended. There is a slight gap between the display and the keyboard underneath on the left side. You can't really see the the gap but when you use the touchscreen on the left side of the display you can feel it "close the gap" and it sorta makes a noise that the two halves touch. It's seems like it's just a minor thing but its enough that is can be aggravating when you are using the touch screen to type and it "feels different" cuz of that clicking from the gap on the left side and feels like you are lamost double tapping. Anyone else experience this?
  2. 1stdroid

1stdroid New Member

I just checked my phone based on your description and yes, there is some mechanical movement between the 2 halves of the phone along that left edge but, I have never noticed it while typing or using the touchscreen.

I think some degree of clearance is necessary to allow the phone to have a detent into both the open and closed position.

It may be excessive on your hardware but, mine is barely noticeable and I've never noticed it before.

Good luck....
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

mine doesn't do it, but my dad's does and its really annoying when i use his. i know what you're talking about
  4. sal33n

sal33n New Member

Has your dad thought about returning it for another because of it? Yes it is very annoying.
  5. frankieg22x

frankieg22x New Member

did you peel off the plastic sticker behind the top half?
  6. sal33n

sal33n New Member

No, I kept it on. I remember reading some threads a while ago about taking it off but mine slides just fine and I figured it being there is keeping it more protected than by removing it. Am I wrong? It really doesn't look like it should be removed even though I know others have said it is there just for shipping purposes.
  7. frankieg22x

frankieg22x New Member

I think that the sticker would make it more tight then without it. Maybe you can exchange the phone if it is bothering you.

Mine has a little play, but it's not enough to bother me and does not effect use.
  8. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

mine doesn't and i DID take my sticker off..
  9. get quad

get quad New Member

no sticker here either, not having issues with mine but then again if I wanted only an on screen keyboard I wouldn't have even bought the droid ;)
  10. sal33n

sal33n New Member

I wanted a keyboard too. I just wish it was more like the keyboard on a Voyager. I would gladly sacrifice a little more thickness for a better keyboard. My wife has the Voyager and that keyboard is very easy to type on.

I am gonna remove the sticker and see if it changes anything.
  11. frankieg22x

frankieg22x New Member

mine only does it if i push on the right side in the black around the screen.

I also like the voyager keyboard... or maybe i'm just more use to it after a year and a half. The droid keyboard is growing on me though.
  12. sal33n

sal33n New Member

I removed the protective sticker. No change.
  13. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC New Member

So what are you going to do? I too have the same issue and it IS really annoying. I use the hard keyboard a lot, and I didn't notice this issue at first which indicates to me that it has gotten worse...
  14. metasin

metasin New Member

My advice would be to keep it if is working well. I replaced my 1st one because of this and the 2nd one had many other problems. I would suggest a case like the Innocase. It seems to prevent the movement of the screen. Looks and feels good too.
  15. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC New Member

Yeah, I'm already using an innocase (love it). However, you probably have a point - my droid works perfectly except for the slight looseness of the slider. I should probably just be happy I have one that works well...
  16. sal33n

sal33n New Member

I think I am gonna do the following. Go down to a corporate Verizon store, get the $6/month insurance on the phone and talk to one of the their people and show them and see what they think. If I can get a new replacement I might consider it. If not then I like the case idea and if in the future it gets worse or untolerable I may use the insurance to my advantage.

It's such a small small problem yet it's so damn annoying!!!! LOL
  17. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC New Member

I totally agree... I already have the insurance, so maybe I'll just deal and worry about it if it gets really bad. Good luck and post how it goes.
  18. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC New Member

Solved my issue! Went to the local VZW store and picked up the rubberized "Snap On Gel Cover" after checking out my friends case. Installed it and, presto, problem solved! :icon_ banana:
  19. selbaer

selbaer New Member

I got the same issue with my Milestone and don't really want to get a replacement (never change a working phone :) ) I also got the feeling it's getting worse, as in the first days i n oticed it only on the lower left corner.
    So thanks for the hint with the "Snap On Gel Cover". Does this cove wrap around the upper or lower part of the droid or why is the issue no more?
  20. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC New Member

Because the cover is more "rubberized" and a little thicker, I think it it makes for rubber against rubber on the corner where the movement was happening. I'm not describing it very well, but it made me happy. The only downside is that it doesn't go in and out of the pocket as easily, and I'm not sure about a holster clip of any kind.
Search tags for this page

droid keyboard feels sloppynwhen typing

motorola droid keyboard loose