Droid failed me. Can't find GPS satellites today.

darreno1

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the Verizon network, sometimes it's the phone. There are enough sats in the sky at any one time to get a proper fix so I doubt that's the issue. Mine has been working for at least a month and half without issue, knock on wood.

JCo352

Reaction score
Okay. A signal loss during certain times of the day. But two days worth in my case! It was stuck in Salt Lake. When I landed and I was in the car trying to nav to Annapolis it told me it was 1900 miles and it gave me directions? From Salt Lake City to Annapolis!!! And I was sitting at BWI airport when it did it in Maryland. When I got home and started investigating the forums I did all of the suggestions. weatherbuig and other GPS apps un installed or disabled blah blah blah. Something else is going on.

I said not always the phones fault, I didn't say never the phones fault.

JCo352

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the Verizon network, sometimes it's the phone. There are enough sats in the sky at any one time to get a proper fix so I doubt that's the issue. Mine has been working for at least a month and half without issue, knock on wood.

There is not always a enough sat's to always get a fix on a location. In the Dozer I ran it would show sat's in the sky and they weren't always any there. I just bringing up a point that it may not always be the phone. And Verizon's network doesn't have anything to do with the GPS, unless you are getting your location off of cell towers.

tommyz

Reaction score

There is not always a enough sat's to always get a fix on a location. In the Dozer I ran it would show sat's in the sky and they weren't always any there. I just bringing up a point that it may not always be the phone. And Verizon's network doesn't have anything to do with the GPS, unless you are getting your location off of cell towers.

I beg to differ. When I have had the problem with my droid, I would turn on both a Garmin Nuvi and a GPS logger I have. Both of the other devices would have no problem getting a GPS fix.

There is something about the GPS in this phone. Even my old Garmin handheld (about 10 years old technology) gets a fix everytime.

darreno1

Reaction score

Actually there are something like 24 gps sats in the sky. GPS is so important to many, it has to be reliable and it is. And sorry to break it to you, but Verizon's cell network has EVERYTHING to do with our GPSs. Without a cell signal, unless the GPS was left on previously, you won't get a fix. I already tested this in the Caribbean. Yeah it does use the sats to get a precise fix (with help from the cell towers), but it's not a true standalone as far as I can tell. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to make it so (via an app), if possible.

Also I have yet to read about a mobile phone GPS system that isn't problematic. Even the iPhone's isn't without issues. The Palm Pre was probably the worst I've ever experienced. The Droid is perfect by comparison. With the Pre I had to reboot the phone maybe 50% of the times I needed to use the GPS. And if you've ever rebooted a Pre you'll know what kind of a pain that is.

lifesavin

Reaction score
I have had issues with the GPS too. I was trying to use it in Gig Harbor the other day. It would work for a minute or two and then I would loose my connection. After searching for a few it would come back. It was so frustrating to deal with.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
had trouble finding a gps signal the other day. turned the gps on and off like 5 times before i finally got one.

gotta use it tomorrow, so hopefully it'll work better...