1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid EXTREMELY overheating.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by TengokuDROID, Jul 3, 2011.

1. TengokuDROID

TengokuDROID New Member

Hey, peoples. I have an issue with my Droid today. I run SS 5.4. So, yesterday, I installed a new kernel, the uLow 800MHz kernel, from Chevy. Everything was working fine until now...

Today in Church, I noticed like something really hot in my pocket. It was my Droid. I went in SetCPU to check the temp of the CPU and it read 130 FARENHEIGHT! The phone is as hot as a god damn oven! I don't know why its heating so. The temperature my Droid would usually get up to is about 90F, but I don't know why its up to 130. There is no apps running in the background. Can someone explain to me why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

EDIT; I also have SetCPU to have the phone run only at 125mhz when the screen is off as well. That doesn't make sence, now does it. Its also 1:43pm and its STILL up in the 125+. This has been going on since 11am.
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator Premium Member

Bump up to a low voltage kernel that should help. Your cpu might not like the Ulow kernel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. 666ogre666

666ogre666 New Member

When you keep the screen off use the lowest slot and the one above for the profile. I keep it at 250 for the lowest so mine is 250 to 550 with his 1.25ulv, yours would work best at probably 125 and 400. Some phones also don't like 125 so you could try keeping it at 250 for the lowest which is what I like to do

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. 1FZFE

1FZFE New Member

The ultra low voltage is likely the culprit. Undervolting can lead to heat and stability issues on some phones. Also I have found over the past 6 months of running gingerbread that setcpu profiles do not play well with 2.3 and above. Throttling your cpu back to those limited low slots especially 125 mHz might be causing the cpu to get way behind and running up the temps as well. Check you load averages after having the screen off for a while with those profiles. They may be way too high. I do not even bother setting profiles any more and my battery life is exceptional. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my 1.3 gHz Nook using Tapatalk
  5. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

I would suggest what these other guys are saying, try a higher voltage. Kernels are weird like that. Some that you would think have cooler and higher temperatures don't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

I agree with the others that its likely the kernal. Bump it up yo low voltage.

But may I recommend something. Try running your phone without setcpu and set the governor in Chevy tools to performance with your Max at 800. I think you will really enjoy the snappiness and response you get from running at one set slot. I've been running performance governor at 800mhz for quite aawhile now and see no sigfinicant loss in battery.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal
  7. 1FZFE

1FZFE New Member

While I agree with ditching setcpu or at least losing the profiles, I'm not sure if pegging the processor at a constant 800 on the performance setting is such a good idea.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Any reason why you think its not a good idea? I've been running performance at 800mhz for over a month and still get good battery life. Phone idles around 85f and rarely does it go over 105 (unless I'm using navigation in the car dock,than its high). If there is some adverse effects to performance gov I'd like to know. I could see how locking in at >1ghz would be bad, but the Droid seems to do just fine at 800mhz. Try it.

9. 1FZFE

1FZFE New Member

Nothing from personal experience because I always run 250-1100 on demand. If you listen to the boards, the performance setting is generally reserved for bench marking and stress testing. I only ever used it to stress test when setting custom slots and voltages running the deprimed kernel. Even the Nook kernel gurus do not recommend performance for everyday use. Its likely just increased wear and tear like driving your car around at 8000 rpm all the time. Maybe someone with more hardware/cpu know how can chime in. This is just what "they" say and "they" can often be wrong :)

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Yeah, I see your concern and the idea of the performance gov does seem like not good for everyday use, but so long as you use it with 800mhz I see no side effects. 800mhz is by no means pushing the droid to its limits so the analogy with driving your car at 8000rpm doesn't work. My assumption is that if a constant 800mhz is bad than my temps would be much higher. I actually am seeing lower and more consistent temps overall with performance rather than ondemend. I feel like when the phone has to constaly change slots it causes the phone to run hotter and drains battery more.

This is just my take on it. I recommend every try 800mhz performance and monitor your bat temp. If you are seeing higher temps, then obviously it isn't working for you. I did not like the lag with using ondemand from wake up and going from idle and into a game thus why I gave it a try.

Also, with the nook I find that the nook needs to run at 1.2 or 1.3 for it to play nice, anything below that seems to bog the device. So yeah I run ondemand on my nook
    I wouldn't run performance at 1.2. The think thing would surely fry.

11. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

OP - If you're still having the problem or it happens again, Settings, About Phone, Battery Usage and see what's eating up the battery, that's probably your culprit.

Art - I tried your 800Mhz trick when I saw it posted the other day, it's been working good so far for me. I reset my battery stats around 10 am yesterday, phone has been off the charger since then with light usage and still has juice left.

1FZFE - Keep in mind just because it's clocked at 800Mhz doesn't mean it's always at 100% load.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  12. coovee

coovee New Member

13. flyinion

flyinion New Member

Hmm so you guys think it's worth it not to run profiles on SetCPU? Guess that means we might as well just not use it then? What about leaving one on to underclock if temps hit a certain point? That I know of my battery has never hit 120F (or more) but I do have a profile to drop to stock clocks it it does. The only other profiles I use are the standard "if battery is below X" or "if the screen is off" ones. I've definitely been noticing some weirdness on 2.3 though such as having the dialer explode a few times when the screen was off and a call came in. I'd be able to answer the call and talk but couldn't end the call afterward (non-responsive to touch requiring a battery pull). Setting the minimum to 250Mhz seemed to fix that though.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 overheating and crashing
droid x overheat

droid x2 overheating

my android battery keeps overheating

my android keeps overheating

my droid keeps overheating

what causes android to over heat
why does my android keep over heating
why does my android keep overheating
why does my android over heat

why does my android overheat