droid extended battery slim

OP
J
Reaction score
No I have not received the battery yet. Anyways... it might be BS by saying it is 1600 which is fine but I don't see how that can hurt my Droid.

windstrings

Reaction score
No I have not received the battery yet. Anyways... it might be BS by saying it is 1600 which is fine but I don't see how that can hurt my Droid.

Its not Seidios responsibility to point out Moto's firmware problems... by the time the word gets out, it could be fixed.

Moto is the one who has the issue, not Seidio.

solorca

Reaction score
When using the extended battery, I charged it at least 10 hours every night, because I usually put it on the charger when I get home from work, and leave it charging until the next morning. I was finding that after normal usage, I was reaching 5% on the extended battery after about 4-5 hours. On my stock battery, I rarely reach that point over the course of 14 hours. During a typical 12 hour day (which is usually the amount of time I have the phone off the charger), I will reach the 5% mark a minimum of four times while running the extended battery. Each time I do a reboot, it takes a noticably shorter period of time to reach 5%.

From reading reviews of the battery online, it looks like my experiences are relatively close to the average. I may have gotten a dud, but if I did, I think a lot of other people did too.

Given my opinion of Seidio though, that would surprise me at all.

After a charge, immediately look at your mv readings, they should be very close to 4200mv.....
1. If they are and your having those results, you have a weak battery.
2. IF they are not that high, you have a weak charger... possibly 3rd party as they don't all cough up the same ampere as stock.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I am using the stock charger, so I don't believe that to be the issue...but I'll check the mv. I'm willing to try to make the battery work. If I can get a decent amount more power before it drops to 5%, I would be perfectly happy with the battery, even if I don't get the full amount promised by it.

Last edited:

solorca

Reaction score
I think you guys are missing my point. My point is that Seidio KNEW about this limitation through their testing, but still released the product with absolutely no mention of it to the consumer.

I'm not a guy that usually stands behind the big business over the small one, but I don't really think that offering support to make a third party battery work is a responsibility of Motorola. If Seidio wants to release a product to fit with the Droid, then they need to work with what's available. If they can't make it work properly, at least be willing to tell the people buying your product that it doesn't work perfectly. I would respect a company that is willing to do that.

The great part is that they allow you to return the product if you aren't 100% satisfied...but they still charge you a 15% restocking fee. So after they trick you into buying their product, even if you return it, they are making money off of you.

I completely disagree with that. Think of it this way. If Motorola decided to release a battery with extended power (just like Seidio did), do you believe it will work and show you the correct readings also? Don't you think they would need to first update the software to correctly read the battery power for the new battery? So would you not trust Motorola products then if they didn't tell you right away that that could happen? If they sold those batteries, they wouldn't recall them because there is nothing wrong with them. They would just need to get the software that reads the power updated.

I fully believe that Motorola would fix the issue before releasing the battery. Again though, if that were the case, I would blame Motorola for providing proper support for their product. I don't blame Motorola for not providing support for someone elses product.

qoncept

Reaction score
I'm not a guy that usually stands behind the big business over the small one, but I don't really think that offering support to make a third party battery work is a responsibility of Motorola. If Seidio wants to release a product to fit with the Droid, then they need to work with what's available. If they can't make it work properly, at least be willing to tell the people buying your product that it doesn't work perfectly. I would respect a company that is willing to do that.
It DOES work. It's a battery that holds a 2600mah charge. Expecting your phone to know exactly how much life is left is just silly. It can't accurately tell you how much the stock battery has left, it's an estimate. There is no "problem."

pudah

Reaction score
I think you guys are missing my point. My point is that Seidio KNEW about this limitation through their testing, but still released the product with absolutely no mention of it to the consumer.

The great part is that they allow you to return the product if you aren't 100% satisfied...but they still charge you a 15% restocking fee. So after they trick you into buying their product, even if you return it, they are making money off of you.

But you keep saying their product is at fault and it's not. Its like if your speedo gear in your car is broken and you install a new speedo guage and it still doesnt work and you blame the speedo guage company when the gear was never replaced and it's at fault... or you get bigger wheels on your car and now the speedo is off. It's not the wheels that are to blame. They are round, roll and look good, and are bigger like you wanted, but you didn't adjust the speedo or your car wont allow it, so who's to blame? How do you know they were aware and released it anyway? Even if they did, I assure you it is only to feed the requests pouring in for the product. They have people asking for it wanting to spend money not caring about the gauge and wanting the extre physical capacity, they're going to abide and let Moto/Google deal with their end of it because they have no say in that matter anyway.

The battery DOES work perfectly. There is NOTHING they can do to change how the battery will display on the phone's battery gauge. They can not affect that in any way, shape or form. You keep saying their product doesnt work and they shouldnt release it if it doesnt work. IT DOES WORK. IT GIVES YOU EXTRA BATTERY CAPACITY. THE PHONE DOESNT WORK IN MONITORING IT. THAT ISN'T A BROKEN BATTERY.

Last edited:

pudah

Reaction score

I completely disagree with that. Think of it this way. If Motorola decided to release a battery with extended power (just like Seidio did), do you believe it will work and show you the correct readings also? Don't you think they would need to first update the software to correctly read the battery power for the new battery? So would you not trust Motorola products then if they didn't tell you right away that that could happen? If they sold those batteries, they wouldn't recall them because there is nothing wrong with them. They would just need to get the software that reads the power updated.

I fully believe that Motorola would fix the issue before releasing the battery. Again though, if that were the case, I would blame Motorola for providing proper support for their product. I don't blame Motorola for not providing support for someone elses product.

Yet you are willing to blame Seidio for not providing support for Motorola's product or Google's software. That IS what you are saying after all. I don't think you get your own point. Maybe they should say something, but it's not their product that doesnt work and not their responsibility to tell people about another company's product's issues. In fact, they could get sued for seemingly bashing a competitor if you will. You are just a disgruntled customer. I don't own any Seidio products and have no opinion on them. Frankly that huge battery is so fugly to me I wouldnt own it. However, you are faulting the wrong party here, and are a pissed off customer not happy about how something didn't work for you and taking it out in the forum.

pudah

Reaction score
When using the extended battery, I charged it at least 10 hours every night, because I usually put it on the charger when I get home from work, and leave it charging until the next morning. I was finding that after normal usage, I was reaching 5% on the extended battery after about 4-5 hours. On my stock battery, I rarely reach that point over the course of 14 hours. During a typical 12 hour day (which is usually the amount of time I have the phone off the charger), I will reach the 5% mark a minimum of four times while running the extended battery. Each time I do a reboot, it takes a noticably shorter period of time to reach 5%.

From reading reviews of the battery online, it looks like my experiences are relatively close to the average. I may have gotten a dud, but if I did, I think a lot of other people did too.

Given my opinion of Seidio though, that would surprise me at all.

After a charge, immediately look at your mv readings, they should be very close to 4200mv.....
1. If they are and your having those results, you have a weak battery.
2. IF they are not that high, you have a weak charger... possibly 3rd party as they don't all cough up the same ampere as stock.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I am using the stock charger, so I don't believe that to be the issue...but I'll check the mv. I'm willing to try to make the battery work. If I can get a decent amount more power before it drops to 5%, I would be perfectly happy with the battery, even if I don't get the full amount promised by it.

Also, it never hurts to have a charged, spare battery around... extra capacity or not. $8 isn't a bad deal for a battery.

pyro6128

Reaction score

But you keep saying their product is at fault and it's not. Its like if your speedo gear in your car is broken and you install a new speedo guage and it still doesnt work and you blame the speedo guage company when the gear was never replaced and it's at fault... or you get bigger wheels on your car and now the speedo is off. It's not the wheels that are to blame. They are round, roll and look good, and are bigger like you wanted, but you didn't adjust the speedo or your car wont allow it, so who's to blame? How do you know they were aware and released it anyway? Even if they did, I assure you it is only to feed the requests pouring in for the product. They have people asking for it wanting to spend money not caring about the gauge and wanting the extre physical capacity, they're going to abide and let Moto/Google deal with their end of it because they have no say in that matter anyway.

The battery DOES work perfectly. There is NOTHING they can do to change how the battery will display on the phone's battery gauge. They can not affect that in any way, shape or form. You keep saying their product doesnt work and they shouldnt release it if it doesnt work. IT DOES WORK. IT GIVES YOU EXTRA BATTERY CAPACITY. THE PHONE DOESNT WORK IN MONITORING IT. THAT ISN'T A BROKEN BATTERY.

is this only available on the new 2010 phelps model?

solorca

Reaction score

Yet you are willing to blame Seidio for not providing support for Motorola's product or Google's software. That IS what you are saying after all. I don't think you get your own point. Maybe they should say something, but it's not their product that doesnt work and not their responsibility to tell people about another company's product's issues. In fact, they could get sued for seemingly bashing a competitor if you will. You are just a disgruntled customer. I don't own any Seidio products and have no opinion on them. Frankly that huge battery is so fugly to me I wouldnt own it. However, you are faulting the wrong party here, and are a pissed off customer not happy about how something didn't work for you and taking it out in the forum.

Yup, that is EXACTLY what I'm saying. They are releasing a product work on a Motorola phone, not the other way around. They are the ones that need to make it work, since they are clearly marketing it as working with the Motorola Droid. Motorola or Google made no such claims about supporting the Seidio battery.

So this morning I tried the battery again. When pulling it off the charger, it showed 4200 mv. It is now 1 1/2 hours after removing from the charger, I've used it to play about 10 minutes of a game and check out a few things on the internet for maybe 10 more minutes. Only one call of about 2 minutes. I am showing 50% power now. On similar usage, my stock battery would MAYBE be showing 90%, if that.

Of course I'm an unhappy customer. Their product sucks...and I have every right to have an opinion about the product that I bought from them.

solorca

Reaction score

I've never said that they could. I've said that they KNEW about this limitation of the product and neglected to let anyone know prior to laying down the cash for the battery. They didn't allow the consumer to make an educated decision about their product because they mislead the customer into thinking that it works flawlessly with the Droid, which it absolutely does not.

qoncept

Reaction score
I've never said that they could. I've said that they KNEW about this limitation of the product and neglected to let anyone know prior to laying down the cash for the battery. They didn't allow the consumer to make an educated decision about their product because they mislead the customer into thinking that it works flawlessly with the Droid, which it absolutely does not.
Do you completely ignore all facts? There's absolutely nothing Seidio could do to make your phone read it's charge better. Do you know anything about programming and APIs? Let me explain something to you.

Android has a set of APIs, which are functions of the phone that people's apps can call. One of these functions is to see how much charge your battery has. The method it uses to actually check the battery is completely hidden from 3rd party developers and they can't change it without root access. The functions to get access to the hardware are locked down and inaccessible. Period. There's nothing else you can do.

The battery is sold as having a capacity of 2600mah. Period. You aren't claiming it doesn't. Send the thing back and shut up if you don't like it. Don't expect anyone's sympathy when you're whining about such a stupid and unreasonable detail.

pudah

Reaction score
is this only available on the new 2010 phelps model?

It is the most popular model anyway.

Yup, that is EXACTLY what I'm saying. They are releasing a product work on a Motorola phone, not the other way around. They are the ones that need to make it work, since they are clearly marketing it as working with the Motorola Droid. Motorola or Google made no such claims about supporting the Seidio battery.

So this morning I tried the battery again. When pulling it off the charger, it showed 4200 mv. It is now 1 1/2 hours after removing from the charger, I've used it to play about 10 minutes of a game and check out a few things on the internet for maybe 10 more minutes. Only one call of about 2 minutes. I am showing 50% power now. On similar usage, my stock battery would MAYBE be showing 90%, if that.

Of course I'm an unhappy customer. Their product sucks...and I have every right to have an opinion about the product that I bought from them.

Frankly I am sick of arguing this. It's obviously going nowhere, it's off topic and we could make better use of the forum. I completely disagree, but you can have your opinion... and I can't say it any better than:

Do you completely ignore all facts? There's absolutely nothing Seidio could do to make your phone read it's charge better. Do you know anything about programming and APIs? Let me explain something to you.

Android has a set of APIs, which are functions of the phone that people's apps can call. One of these functions is to see how much charge your battery has. The method it uses to actually check the battery is completely hidden from 3rd party developers and they can't change it without root access. The functions to get access to the hardware are locked down and inaccessible. Period. There's nothing else you can do.

The battery is sold as having a capacity of 2600mah. Period. You aren't claiming it doesn't. Send the thing back and shut up if you don't like it. Don't expect anyone's sympathy when you're whining about such a stupid and unreasonable detail.

solorca

Reaction score

The battery is being shown as having a longer life, and frankly, I'm not even sold on that fact yet. I pulled my phone off the charger at 9:30 am this morning, and it's been blinking at the 5% level for about 3 hours now. It may end up lasting a long time at this reading, but if so, it's still got about 8 hours to reach what I normally get with my stock battery. By this point in the day with the stock battery, it's reading at about 80%.

To answer your statement about not ignoring facts, I think I can say that you guys are the ones doing that. I have clearly said numerous times that it does offer the capacity it promises (even though I'm not convinced yet...we'll see in a few hours). My problem is with the company NOT TELLING THE CONSUMER about the fact that you can't get an accurate reading with the current version of the Droid. It's a very simple point. It's also something that I would expect a reputable company to do if they KNOW that their product does not read properly on the device that they are selling it for.

I have purchased numerous extended batteries over the years for my phones, and this is the first one that has ever had this problem. Again, I don't blame Seidio for making a product that doesn't read properly on the Droid, I blame them for releasing it and hiding that information from the people who are purchasing the product. Don't believe me? There are numerous reviews all over the internet from people who think that the company is lying about how powerful the battery is because they had no knowledge about it not reading correctly on the Droid. A simple disclaimer on the Seidio website in the product details would have been sufficient, but they chose not to do that, which in my opinion was because they KNEW that it would hurt the sales of their product. I know I certainly would have never purchased it if they would have included this very basic information on their product description.

For the record, I have emailed Seidio through their website 3 times about this battery, and they have yet to respond. I did get a response from Seidio on this forum about a return, but my questions for technical support have been unanswered. Based on the things people are saying, it appears that even with the reading issues, my battery is performing well under what it should. People are saying that it should take much longer for the extended battery to reach the 5% level (before a restart) than the stock, but in my case, the extended battery is at 5% reading about 8-10 hours before the stock would be.

Last edited:

bastosero

Reaction score
I guess solorca will just have to blame every other third-party companies that sell longer lasting batteries if they can't read the correct guage.