droid extended battery slim

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can't wait any longer for seidio.. Ill go ahead and bite the bullet. and I have money to burn if my destroy my droid. Searching on the net some batteries worked, some don't... hell its 9 bucks..

$9 or $560, depending on if you have insurance or not...

solorca

Reaction score
So let me get this straight ... you get a battery from a company who promises you that it will last longer.

The battery does last longer, but the phone's meter does not show you the proper time left ... and that is SOMEHOW the fault of the company that makes the battery?

What alternate reality do you live in?

If it is anyone's fault, it is the manufacturer of the phone or the OS, not the battery. How can the people who make the battery be at all at fault?

This is like blaming Exxon because your fuel gauge does not properly tell you the amount of gas in the tank.

It absolutely IS the companies fault that they neglect to provide any information about the limitations of their battery when they were fully aware of it prior to the release (as verified by a Seidio representative on this forum).

The battery does provide longer life, but along with that, there are severe problems that come with it. You never truly have an accurate read of how much battery time is left, you constantly have a blinking light telling you that your battery is almost dead, and the only way to get an even decent reading is by rebooting the phone multiple times.

I absolutely agree that Motorola should have the firmware in place to accurately read an extended battery. In fact, I am shocked that they don't because nearly every phone I've ever owned has had a first party extended battery available.

At the same time, Seidio is absolutely at fault for releasing a product without providing any information about the limitations of that product.

To respond to your statement about Exxon, if Toyota provided their own gas that worked accurately with the fuel gauge, but Exxon sold gas that they claimed ran longer, while neglecting to tell the consumer that in order to get the longer life to read on the fuel gauge you have the stop and restart the car twice during every trip the grocery store, I would definitely blame Exxon. It's Toyota/Motorola's responsibility to provide something that works with their product, which they do. If you are an aftermarket product, it's YOUR responsibility to make something that works accurately. If it doesn't, you need to fix it...or at the very least, let the consumer know about the inaccuracy.

I sympathize with your angst, but fail to see how it is the 3rd party vendor's responsibility for the orignal equipment manufacturer's prodcut's limitations.

It's their responsibility to make a product that works with the original product. Motorola isn't making a product to work on Seidio's battery, Seidio is making a product to work on Motorola's phone. They are the ones that need to make it work.

pudah

Reaction score
It absolutely IS the companies fault that they neglect to provide any information about the limitations of their battery when they were fully aware of it prior to the release (as verified by a Seidio representative on this forum).

The battery does provide longer life, but along with that, there are severe problems that come with it. You never truly have an accurate read of how much battery time is left, you constantly have a blinking light telling you that your battery is almost dead, and the only way to get an even decent reading is by rebooting the phone multiple times.

I absolutely agree that Motorola should have the firmware in place to accurately read an extended battery. In fact, I am shocked that they don't because nearly every phone I've ever owned has had a first party extended battery available.

At the same time, Seidio is absolutely at fault for releasing a product without providing any information about the limitations of that product.

To respond to your statement about Exxon, if Toyota provided their own gas that worked accurately with the fuel gauge, but Exxon sold gas that they claimed ran longer, while neglecting to tell the consumer that in order to get the longer life to read on the fuel gauge you have the stop and restart the car twice during every trip the grocery store, I would definitely blame Exxon. It's Toyota/Motorola's responsibility to provide something that works with their product, which they do. If you are an aftermarket product, it's YOUR responsibility to make something that works accurately. If it doesn't, you need to fix it...or at the very least, let the consumer know about the inaccuracy.

I sympathize with your angst, but fail to see how it is the 3rd party vendor's responsibility for the orignal equipment manufacturer's prodcut's limitations.

It's their responsibility to make a product that works with the original product. Motorola isn't making a product to work on Seidio's battery, Seidio is making a product to work on Motorola's phone. They are the ones that need to make it work.

It (the battery) DOES work on the droid. They can not do anything to the battery to make it work better. Nothing they do to the battery will change the phone's behavior in reporting the % of battery life left. This is an issue on the phone that needs to be corrected by Motorola or Google. There is no one thing on the face of this earth the battery manufacturer can do about it. Their product gives extra battery life, as advertised, and if you ignore the notification, it will last longer despite the reported % of life left. It would be different if the battery didnt actually give extended life because of the issue with the phone. Then they shouldnt sell it since there is no way for it to work properly. You can not blame the manufacturer of the battery for something they have no control over. It works as advertised. The issue is with Motorola/Google and one of them needs to fix their end of things to resolve your issue. What could Seidio do about it? Nothing... they dont write software or manufacture droids. They sell a battery intended to give extended life to the phone, and it does. You are mad at the wrong person. This is really simple logic, and every time you explain your position further you are only validating that it isn't Seidio at fault.

pudah

Reaction score
Anyway, this new slim battery gives, what, 14% extra power? Id be really interested if it was more of a boost. 14% when I'm already going 2 days before a recharge really isn't worth the risk to me for an unknown. Not yet anyway.

rda990

Reaction score
I LOL'd as soon as i saw the pictures of the battery...and did the OP receive it yet?

bastosero

Reaction score

It (the battery) DOES work on the droid. They can not do anything to the battery to make it work better. Nothing they do to the battery will change the phone's behavior in reporting the % of battery life left. This is an issue on the phone that needs to be corrected by Motorola or Google. There is no one thing on the face of this earth the battery manufacturer can do about it. Their product gives extra battery life, as advertised, and if you ignore the notification, it will last longer despite the reported % of life left. It would be different if the battery didnt actually give extended life because of the issue with the phone. Then they shouldnt sell it since there is no way for it to work properly. You can not blame the manufacturer of the battery for something they have no control over. It works as advertised. The issue is with Motorola/Google and one of them needs to fix their end of things to resolve your issue. What could Seidio do about it? Nothing... they dont write software or manufacture droids. They sell a battery intended to give extended life to the phone, and it does. You are mad at the wrong person. This is really simple logic, and every time you explain your position further you are only validating that it isn't Seidio at fault.

I agree. It's not really Seidio's fault. Motorola/Google needs to fix the battery life reader. Seidio really can't do anything about it from where they stand. They just make the hardware and not write the software. Now, if they screwed up on the hardware side of the problem, then they are to blame. In this case, however, I don't see them at fault either.

Now, about that battery from ebay...I don't trust it. It says on the label and that ebay site that it comes from that it is probably manufactured in Hong Kong or somewhere in China. They make way too MANY knock off items there...some good, some bad. With that said, I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:

qoncept

Reaction score
This would be a good deal, but the 1600mah rating is probably BS. You can basically stamp whatever rating you want on your battery, especially if you're going to ship it from Hong Kong.

qoncept

Reaction score
If you put a 50 gallon gas tank on your car and made no other changes, would you expect your gas gauge to read correctly? Or just expect to drive further on a tank of gas?

qoncept

Reaction score
Anyway, this new slim battery gives, what, 14% extra power? Id be really interested if it was more of a boost. 14% when I'm already going 2 days before a recharge really isn't worth the risk to me for an unknown. Not yet anyway.
Come on people, this thing is a lithium ion BATTERY. They all use the same technology. You can't magically drastically increase the energy a certain type of battery can store without making it bigger. And it's not DANGEROUS, it's the same thing you already have. The only risk is that you'll be expecting 1600mah (which is an 18.5% increase, almost 1/5) and actually getting closer to what you already do or worse. For $8, why not give it a try?

bastosero

Reaction score
If you put a 50 gallon gas tank on your car and made no other changes, would you expect your gas gauge to read correctly? Or just expect to drive further on a tank of gas?

Let's use some common sense here. If you do that, it's common sense that you change how it would read the new gas tank, and that is easily done nowadays for cars. That is because that's a hardware issue. For a cellphone battery, it is a software issue (in this case the Droid). You can't just go to Google or Motorola or even Verizon and tell them to change the battery life reader right on the spot. Do you see the difference? Your example/comparison is invalid.

Last edited:

solorca

Reaction score
I think you guys are missing my point. My point is that Seidio KNEW about this limitation through their testing, but still released the product with absolutely no mention of it to the consumer.

I'm not a guy that usually stands behind the big business over the small one, but I don't really think that offering support to make a third party battery work is a responsibility of Motorola. If Seidio wants to release a product to fit with the Droid, then they need to work with what's available. If they can't make it work properly, at least be willing to tell the people buying your product that it doesn't work perfectly. I would respect a company that is willing to do that.

The great part is that they allow you to return the product if you aren't 100% satisfied...but they still charge you a 15% restocking fee. So after they trick you into buying their product, even if you return it, they are making money off of you.

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
When using the extended battery, I charged it at least 10 hours every night, because I usually put it on the charger when I get home from work, and leave it charging until the next morning. I was finding that after normal usage, I was reaching 5% on the extended battery after about 4-5 hours. On my stock battery, I rarely reach that point over the course of 14 hours. During a typical 12 hour day (which is usually the amount of time I have the phone off the charger), I will reach the 5% mark a minimum of four times while running the extended battery. Each time I do a reboot, it takes a noticably shorter period of time to reach 5%.

From reading reviews of the battery online, it looks like my experiences are relatively close to the average. I may have gotten a dud, but if I did, I think a lot of other people did too.

Given my opinion of Seidio though, that would surprise me at all.

After a charge, immediately look at your mv readings, they should be very close to 4200mv.....
1. If they are and your having those results, you have a weak battery.
2. IF they are not that high, you have a weak charger... possibly 3rd party as they don't all cough up the same ampere as stock.

bastosero

Reaction score
I think you guys are missing my point. My point is that Seidio KNEW about this limitation through their testing, but still released the product with absolutely no mention of it to the consumer.

I'm not a guy that usually stands behind the big business over the small one, but I don't really think that offering support to make a third party battery work is a responsibility of Motorola. If Seidio wants to release a product to fit with the Droid, then they need to work with what's available. If they can't make it work properly, at least be willing to tell the people buying your product that it doesn't work perfectly. I would respect a company that is willing to do that.

The great part is that they allow you to return the product if you aren't 100% satisfied...but they still charge you a 15% restocking fee. So after they trick you into buying their product, even if you return it, they are making money off of you.

I completely disagree with that. Think of it this way. If Motorola decided to release a battery with extended power (just like Seidio did), do you believe it will work and show you the correct readings also? Don't you think they would need to first update the software to correctly read the battery power for the new battery? So would you not trust Motorola products then if they didn't tell you right away that that could happen? If they sold those batteries, they wouldn't recall them because there is nothing wrong with them. They would just need to get the software that reads the power updated.

windstrings

Reaction score
Come on people, this thing is a lithium ion BATTERY. They all use the same technology. You can't magically drastically increase the energy a certain type of battery can store without making it bigger. And it's not DANGEROUS, it's the same thing you already have. The only risk is that you'll be expecting 1600mah (which is an 18.5% increase, almost 1/5) and actually getting closer to what you already do or worse. For $8, why not give it a try?

I believe these are next generation as are all the latest LiIon... they are "LiPo".

They charge amazingly fast.... just that since they are voltage protected, the charging stops at 4200mv and holds that voltage allowing the other cells to come up in their own time....

So in other words, the last part of the charging is much slower than the majority of the charging at first.... a guess would be you get 80% before it starts slowing depending on the condition of the battery.

This it typical for all LiIOn type technology batteries.

The only way you can buy "unprotected" cells that are dangerous is if you buy them online and they will give a warning they are unprotected.

No proprietary batteries I know of are unprotected that ever go into devices such as cell phones, computers, etc......

Only when something goes gravely wrong like a protection circuit fails could that happens and that can happen just as easy to your stock battery.