droid extended battery slim

windstrings

Reaction score
Because they claim that you get improved and long lasting battery life, when in fact, over the course of one day you have to reboot the phone 5-6 times to get that longer battery life (because the Droid cannot read the extended battery properly). Seidio has confirmed that they were well aware of this limitation during their initial testing for the product, but they chose to not include it anywhere in their product description or anywhere else that I can find, for that matter.

Go ahead and buy the battery if you like, but be prepared to have to perform a half-dozen reboots every day just to get the true life of the battery.

Has this been your experience?
Have you tried to use the phone without a reboot and have it die and then reboot and find energy from no where to run the phone?

I want to clear something up.

No one qualifies to make judgments about the battery based on browsing and or hearsay without actual experience of their own.

Lets not let fear and anger go rampant without knowledge.

This has not been my experience... yes if you want fresh readings on the battery meter, you can reboot, but it has no factor whatsoever as to whether the battery will last longer or whether the droid will allow it to run without turning off.

The phone simply gets to 5% and then continues to run for hours.... "5 hours or so of heavy use and even longer for normal use"

When you consider it does take longer to reach that 5% than with the stock battery plus the added time you will get after it reaches 5% means the battery still provides the needed juice to keep the phone up and running strong.

I can go from full charge to dead "without reboots" and get 31 to 36 hours of use as per my experimentation all week long. And when it finally dies.. it will not boot back up at all until charged... "its dead".

In an attempt to vent anger against those that mislead others, lets not commit the same crime ourselves "and mislead others".

solorca

Reaction score
Because they claim that you get improved and long lasting battery life, when in fact, over the course of one day you have to reboot the phone 5-6 times to get that longer battery life (because the Droid cannot read the extended battery properly). Seidio has confirmed that they were well aware of this limitation during their initial testing for the product, but they chose to not include it anywhere in their product description or anywhere else that I can find, for that matter.

Go ahead and buy the battery if you like, but be prepared to have to perform a half-dozen reboots every day just to get the true life of the battery.

Have you tried to use the phone without a reboot and have it die and then reboot and find energy from no where to run the phone?

No one qualifies to make judgments about the battery based on browsing and or hearsay without actual experience of their own.

This has not been my experience... yes if you want fresh readings on the battery meter, you can reboot, but it has no factor whatsoever as to whether the battery will last longer or whether the droid will allow it to run without turning off.

The phone simply gets to 5% and then continues to run for hours.... "5 hours or so of heavy use and even longer for normal use"

When you consider it does take longer to reach that 5% than with the stock battery plus the added time you will get after it reaches 5% means the battery still provides the needed juice to keep the phone up and running strong.

I can go from full charge to dead "without reboots" and get 31 to 36 hours of use as per my experimentation all week long. And when it finally dies.. it will not boot back up at all until charged... "its dead".

In an attempt to vent anger against those that mislead others, lets not commit the same crime ourselves "and mislead others".

Yes, these are my experiences. This is not hearsay or a response based on browsing the forum. I own the battery and I am an extremely dissatisfied customer.

Sure, I can let the phone sit at 5%, without ever knowing how much power I truly have on my phone, while looking at an annoying flashing orange light for 3/4 of the day (if someone knows of a way to turn this off, please let me know. I can't find anything)...but to me, that's ridiculous when I just want to use my phone for a longer period of time.

In my usage of the battery, it will also drop me to 5% extremely quickly. In most cases in half the time that it takes me to reach that same point with my standard battery. If it was taking much longer to reach the 5% level than with my stock battery, I would be perfectly fine with the Seidio replacement, even with the issues mentioned in here...because it that case, it would at least actually give me usable "juice". In the Seidio advertising section of this forum, I posted some daily info between the two batteries from my personal usage.

I've never suggested that the battery life isn't good. What I have suggested is that if you want accurate readings or a true understanding of whether you have any battery life on the Seidio replacement, you better be prepared to reboot the phone numerous times during the day.

In my experience the Seidio battery is useless, and I think the company intentionally left information out of their advertising for the product.

windstrings

Reaction score
You could have gotten a dud.

Keep in mind when you charge it, it will show "charged" when it reaches upper 3900mv .. but its not really charged till it reaches 4200mv and stays there a while.

I'm getting way longer time than my stock and I only charge it while I sleep and I can skip two days if I"m trying to test it as I will go 35 hours or so.

One thing for sure, if you put your stock battery back and and confirm you are getting more runtime to 5% than with your Seidio, I would say you got a bad battery.

Yes, it is annoying to have the blinking light.. I asked the DEV of "battery left" and he said he could change color but would have to investigate over-riding it.

I believe if your phone is rooted you can kill the light.. but thats still silly as you need it for normal notifications and as long as its blinking, its hard to tell the difference between a new notification and the low battery warning.

One way to look at it is that you will never see the blinking light under normal use "at least I won't" and if I do something unusual and actually need the extended capacity then I'll have to deal with the light.

I would venture to say if you put it on the charger every night you will never see the blinking light... if it drops that fast, I would send it back for a trade in.

I am curious about this claim that its issues with Seidio batteries that cause the problem. As I stated, If so, I don't understand how that could be.

Seidio claims 87% more capacity and thats about exactly what I'm getting.

wil318466

Reaction score
Its 8 bucks. Too bad its about 3 days after I just bought 2 more batteries and a travel charger. Sigh. Oh well, that was only 18 bucks. No biggie.

-Wil

moosc

Reaction score
I've had it happen a few times on my stock droid battery. Matter of fact I was sitting 30% battery just pulled my battery and its at 50%. But I'm not worried or crying I carry a spare.

windstrings

Reaction score
I've had it happen a few times on my stock droid battery. Matter of fact I was sitting 30% battery just pulled my battery and its at 50%. But I'm not worried or crying I carry a spare.

That makes sense.... see, I've never questioned or noticed when I ran my stock battery.

If its happening with the stock battery too, that proves its a firmware issue rather than a Seidio issue.

Seems I read it being confirmed somewhere as a firmware issue.. just can't remember where.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll wait till Seidio releases theres. A known company that you can actually trust.

Hahah, I would hardly call Seidio a company you can trust. They intentionally mislead their customers in regards to the extended battery by not mentioning anything about false battery level readings on the Droid.

I trust this random company selling a product on ebay about as much as I trust Seidio.

I've never had any issues with the number of seidio extended batteries that I've used. But if you'd rather trust that phony-direct-off-a-stolen-truck looking product be my guest.

I've never had a Seidio battery (with 3 different smart phones) that was worth a dam... I know several others that have had numerous problems with their batteries.

windstrings

Reaction score
I've never had a Seidio battery (with 3 different smart phones) that was worth a dam... I know several others that have had numerous problems with their batteries.

I thought they had a better reputation than that.. at least I've read alot of good commentaries .... mine has been great so far.

GRey1

Reaction score
I had a seidio extended battery in my Sprint Touch for almost two years. I still have it and the phone. Not a single problem. That battery took my phone from being a 6 hour standby phone to a 2 day phone. I work a ten hour shift, so the 6 hour thing wasn't cutting it. Their battery made my phone useable. I am really hoping that the one for the Droid isn't a flop.

hughesjr

Reaction score

Yes, these are my experiences. This is not hearsay or a response based on browsing the forum. I own the battery and I am an extremely dissatisfied customer.

Sure, I can let the phone sit at 5%, without ever knowing how much power I truly have on my phone, while looking at an annoying flashing orange light for 3/4 of the day (if someone knows of a way to turn this off, please let me know. I can't find anything)...but to me, that's ridiculous when I just want to use my phone for a longer period of time.

In my usage of the battery, it will also drop me to 5% extremely quickly. In most cases in half the time that it takes me to reach that same point with my standard battery. If it was taking much longer to reach the 5% level than with my stock battery, I would be perfectly fine with the Seidio replacement, even with the issues mentioned in here...because it that case, it would at least actually give me usable "juice". In the Seidio advertising section of this forum, I posted some daily info between the two batteries from my personal usage.

I've never suggested that the battery life isn't good. What I have suggested is that if you want accurate readings or a true understanding of whether you have any battery life on the Seidio replacement, you better be prepared to reboot the phone numerous times during the day.

In my experience the Seidio battery is useless, and I think the company intentionally left information out of their advertising for the product.
So let me get this straight ... you get a battery from a company who promises you that it will last longer.

The battery does last longer, but the phone's meter does not show you the proper time left ... and that is SOMEHOW the fault of the company that makes the battery?

What alternate reality do you live in?

If it is anyone's fault, it is the manufacturer of the phone or the OS, not the battery. How can the people who make the battery be at all at fault?

This is like blaming Exxon because your fuel gauge does not properly tell you the amount of gas in the tank.

solorca

Reaction score
So let me get this straight ... you get a battery from a company who promises you that it will last longer.

The battery does last longer, but the phone's meter does not show you the proper time left ... and that is SOMEHOW the fault of the company that makes the battery?

If it is anyone's fault, it is the manufacturer of the phone or the OS, not the battery. How can the people who make the battery be at all at fault?

This is like blaming Exxon because your fuel gauge does not properly tell you the amount of gas in the tank.

It absolutely IS the companies fault that they neglect to provide any information about the limitations of their battery when they were fully aware of it prior to the release (as verified by a Seidio representative on this forum).

The battery does provide longer life, but along with that, there are severe problems that come with it. You never truly have an accurate read of how much battery time is left, you constantly have a blinking light telling you that your battery is almost dead, and the only way to get an even decent reading is by rebooting the phone multiple times.

I absolutely agree that Motorola should have the firmware in place to accurately read an extended battery. In fact, I am shocked that they don't because nearly every phone I've ever owned has had a first party extended battery available.

At the same time, Seidio is absolutely at fault for releasing a product without providing any information about the limitations of that product.

To respond to your statement about Exxon, if Toyota provided their own gas that worked accurately with the fuel gauge, but Exxon sold gas that they claimed ran longer, while neglecting to tell the consumer that in order to get the longer life to read on the fuel gauge you have the stop and restart the car twice during every trip the grocery store, I would definitely blame Exxon. It's Toyota/Motorola's responsibility to provide something that works with their product, which they do. If you are an aftermarket product, it's YOUR responsibility to make something that works accurately. If it doesn't, you need to fix it...or at the very least, let the consumer know about the inaccuracy.

Last edited:

solorca

Reaction score
You could have gotten a dud.

Keep in mind when you charge it, it will show "charged" when it reaches upper 3900mv .. but its not really charged till it reaches 4200mv and stays there a while.

I'm getting way longer time than my stock and I only charge it while I sleep and I can skip two days if I"m trying to test it as I will go 35 hours or so.

One thing for sure, if you put your stock battery back and and confirm you are getting more runtime to 5% than with your Seidio, I would say you got a bad battery.

Yes, it is annoying to have the blinking light.. I asked the DEV of "battery left" and he said he could change color but would have to investigate over-riding it.

I believe if your phone is rooted you can kill the light.. but thats still silly as you need it for normal notifications and as long as its blinking, its hard to tell the difference between a new notification and the low battery warning.

One way to look at it is that you will never see the blinking light under normal use "at least I won't" and if I do something unusual and actually need the extended capacity then I'll have to deal with the light.

I would venture to say if you put it on the charger every night you will never see the blinking light... if it drops that fast, I would send it back for a trade in.

I am curious about this claim that its issues with Seidio batteries that cause the problem. As I stated, If so, I don't understand how that could be.

Seidio claims 87% more capacity and thats about exactly what I'm getting.

When using the extended battery, I charged it at least 10 hours every night, because I usually put it on the charger when I get home from work, and leave it charging until the next morning. I was finding that after normal usage, I was reaching 5% on the extended battery after about 4-5 hours. On my stock battery, I rarely reach that point over the course of 14 hours. During a typical 12 hour day (which is usually the amount of time I have the phone off the charger), I will reach the 5% mark a minimum of four times while running the extended battery. Each time I do a reboot, it takes a noticably shorter period of time to reach 5%.

From reading reviews of the battery online, it looks like my experiences are relatively close to the average. I may have gotten a dud, but if I did, I think a lot of other people did too.

Given my opinion of Seidio though, that would surprise me at all.

pudah

Reaction score

It absolutely IS the companies fault that they neglect to provide any information about the limitations of their battery when they were fully aware of it prior to the release (as verified by a Seidio representative on this forum).

The battery does provide longer life, but along with that, there are severe problems that come with it. You never truly have an accurate read of how much battery time is left, you constantly have a blinking light telling you that your battery is almost dead, and the only way to get an even decent reading is by rebooting the phone multiple times.

I absolutely agree that Motorola should have the firmware in place to accurately read an extended battery. In fact, I am shocked that they don't because nearly every phone I've ever owned has had a first party extended battery available.

At the same time, Seidio is absolutely at fault for releasing a product without providing any information about the limitations of that product.

To respond to your statement about Exxon, if Toyota provided their own gas that worked accurately with the fuel gauge, but Exxon sold gas that they claimed ran longer, while neglecting to tell the consumer that in order to get the longer life to read on the fuel gauge you have the stop and restart the car twice during every trip the grocery store, I would definitely blame Exxon. It's Toyota/Motorola's responsibility to provide something that works with their product, which they do. If you are an aftermarket product, it's YOUR responsibility to make something that works accurately. If it doesn't, you need to fix it...or at the very least, let the consumer know about the inaccuracy.

I sympathize with your angst, but fail to see how it is the 3rd party vendor's responsibility for the orignal equipment manufacturer's prodcut's limitations.