Droid Exchange support vs TouchDown?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I am having a miserable time trying to get Google to retrieve my mail and send it. Usinf the native app is not much better as it will switch off for no reason. I want to use touchdown, but I don't thin our company uses an "exchange" server, but I don't know. Our email is hosted by a company called "site five". I get my email on my laptop through outlook. I can get it off the web at www.companyname.com/webmail- then enter user id and password, then use squirrel mail to retrieve my stuff. Is this something that will work on Touchdown? Would touchdown grab my aol,yahoo, comcast, and google mail as well? Thank you for any help you can give me as I am thinking of returning the droid today and picking up an Iphone with mobile me. Thanks!
ps- your blog is very nice.

I'm using Touchdown for OWA of my company exchange email....:icon_ banana:

moparharn

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if Touchdown will woek for me.

Based on my previous post. Saying touchdown works for me on my exchange does not answer my question. By my description, do I not have exchange and thus touchdown will not work for me on ANY of my email accounts?

OP
V

valnar

Reaction score
Based on my previous post. Saying touchdown works for me on my exchange does not answer my question. By my description, do I not have exchange and thus touchdown will not work for me on ANY of my email accounts?

TouchDown is for Exchange only, as indicated by their web page. After all, you are posting in a thread about Exchange and TouchDown. :icon_rolleyes:

moparharn

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. I have

concluded that the drois is not a business phone for people without exchange. I am off to the ATT store to buy an I phone or have my Bold turned back on. Sucks. Really sucks. I wanted to be a droid owner.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
concluded that the drois is not a business phone for people without exchange. I am off to the ATT store to buy an I phone or have my Bold turned back on. Sucks. Really sucks. I wanted to be a droid owner.

just takes a bit of work....Droid out rocks both the Bold or iJunk...To each his own.

treo700w

Reaction score

just takes a bit of work....Droid out rocks both the Bold or iJunk...To each his own.

just takes a bit of work to get the non-gmail accounts such as exchange, hotmail, yahoo, etc. to work?

i got exchange to work with touchdown. but i don't need to do that with my 5 yr old treo. don't need to do that with an iphone. don't need to do that with the bold.

i still can't get my droid to sync and refresh properly with my yahoo or hotmail accounts. how did you get it to work?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

just takes a bit of work to get the non-gmail accounts such as exchange, hotmail, yahoo, etc. to work?

i got exchange to work with touchdown. but i don't need to do that with my 5 yr old treo. don't need to do that with an iphone. don't need to do that with the bold.

i still can't get my droid to sync and refresh properly with my yahoo or hotmail accounts. how did you get it to work?

I use Gmail - No problem with the built in app.... and I use my work Exchange with Touchdown.

Haven't used Yahoo or Hotmail in years..... If the Droid is too much work, You can always go back to your Palm.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Finally got Exchange to work. It took Touchdown v5.0 in order to do so. This is because my company's IT folks didn't allow any group policies / perms other than WinMobile & iDrone. However, just two days ago I got an e-mail from an IT person and they said Security signed-off on us being able to use TD v5.0 for Android phones.

This was the last piece of my puzzle to complete and am very happy. But please, if people have any issues they need to go and talk to their IT / Security folks to see what's been "approved" and what's not. I was able to sync-up via DROID's native Exchange connectivity until I was "flagged" by our company's IT folks and they shut me down within a day because I wasn't compliant. :)

- Mega

Reaction score
At my place of employment we've got a Blackberry Exchange Server. I am told by IT that we use an Exchange Server to talk to the BES and that I should be able to communicate with the Exchange Server; however, I was warned that it may not work. The latter turned out to be the case. Moving forward, I plan to try using Touchdown, but before I do that I would like to know if Touchdown preserves my privacy. Will my contact information mix with my work information or will Touchdown keep things separate?

toddj

Reaction score
We have an exchange server set up with BES as well. I was shocked to see the corporate account on my droid work without any problems whatsoever.
A co-worker said he had some problems with his. I think, though, that it was just lacking some desired features or something, he told me that he tried out Touchdown and loved it enough to buy it after using it for one day.

Ogdenous

Reaction score
We have an exchange server set up with BES as well. I was shocked to see the corporate account on my droid work without any problems whatsoever.
A co-worker said he had some problems with his. I think, though, that it was just lacking some desired features or something, he told me that he tried out Touchdown and loved it enough to buy it after using it for one day.

Your information will remain separate. Your personal contacts and calendar will use google and the Touchdown app will store and push via exchange. I know you say you have a blackberry server, but can you access your exchange web mail (OWA) server from outside your company without a VPN? If no then you will not be able to get push mail as this is a requirement.

Also consider Moxier Mail moxier.com which has a nice interface. Though I believe Touchdown offers more features still. Moxier had enough features for me.

Last edited:

toddj

Reaction score

Your information will remain separate. Your personal contacts and calendar will use google and the Touchdown app will store and push via exchange. I know you say you have a blackberry server, but can you access your exchange web mail (OWA) server from outside your company without a VPN? If no then you will not be able to get push mail as this is a requirement.

Also consider Moxier Mail moxier.com which has a nice interface. Though I believe Touchdown offers more features still. Moxier had enough features for me.
We do allow the external usage of OWA without vpn. But I'm happy getting mail with the default corporate account, as I don't even use it that often. I often close the email app so I'm not constantly getting emails when they aren't paying for my phone bill :)