Droid Eris 3.5mm 4 pin support

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Hey all, I hope that this hasn't been asked/answered before, my searches didn't show any results already on this forum.

Does the Droid Eris' 3.5mm audio jack support 4 pin audio headsets (the ones with the mic built in)? This would allow those of us who would like to, use the phone to listen to music via high quality headsets, like the HF2.

HTC support has been no help at all, the following is my exchange with their tech support.

Me:
Is the HTC Droid Eris 3.5mm audio jack support 4 pin/contact audio headsets (like the iPhone or Blackberry phones)?
Thank you for a wonderful phone! The UI Sense is beautiful and useful and the rest of phone rocks too!

HTC:
Brian, Thanks for contacting HTC Technical Support - regarding the your question 4 pin / please review your owners manaul for your mobile device for jack support - or contact verizon and speak with there sales department for further assistance. Thanks for contacting Email Tech support @ HTC Have a great day.

Me:
This [quoting above] was the response that I got from customer service. Essentially, RTFM. What an incredibly uninformative, indolent answer to a question. Why in the world would I contact HTC regarding information found in the manual?! I went through the manual prior to contacting HTC support and I assumed that HTC would know its phones better than Verizon would. If this is the kind of support that we will be receiving from HTC, then it bodes very poorly for your attempts to take market share from other smartphone companies.

HTC:
Brian, Your mobile device supports the 3.5 contact. 4 pin contact hasn't been tested, I asked you look in your owners man, because if you don't see in there then it's not supported. Thanks for contacting Email Tech support and have a great day.

:icon_evil: Essentially, I don't know and I don't really care enough to try to find an answer. WTH?

uujim

Reaction score
Sounds like that HTC rep needs a new job. It takes a unique personality type to do tech support and have fun at it day after day. He is definitely not having fun.

The on-line Eris manual (which, incidentally is NOT provided with the phone) says:

Top Panel 3.5 mm Audio Jack
Connect a headset (not included in
the box) for hands-free conversation
or for listening to audio media.

Bottom Panel USB Connector/Earphone Jack
Connect the:
USB cable to transfer files.
AC adapter to recharge the battery.
USB stereo headset for hands-free
conversation or for listening to music
(not included in box).

OP

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Yup, I saw that entry in the manual too. It seems to imply that the hands-free headsets will work without explicitly stating if it support the 4 pin connector. I was hoping someone here had tried it and could confirm that it does indeed work. I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap one to make sure it works before spending $ on a nice set.

BTW, I agree, uujim, it does take a certain personality to work support jobs. I've worked in that sort of job before, which is why I was so annoyed by the tech's flippant answer.

Last edited:

CoreMemory

Reaction score
FWIW, I just got a Radio Shack Auvio headset with mic yesterday and it works fine for music and making calls. The mike button on it allows you to take a call when listening to music.

OP

3nd0Man

Reaction score
FWIW, I just got a Radio Shack Auvio headset with mic yesterday and it works fine for music and making calls. The mike button on it allows you to take a call when listening to music.
You are a wonderful individual. Thank you for confirming this feature!