Droid DX2 Artifical Lockdowns

chs200123

Reaction score
Since there is no such thing as a phone without carrier-crippled ROMS or OEM lockdown (Motorolla), does anyone know what features of the upcoming Droid DX2 will be artifically suppressed?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Since there is no such thing as a phone without carrier-crippled ROMS or OEM lockdown (Motorolla),

What gave you that idea? Im pretty sure the htc phones are neither at the moment. I havent heard of Samsung doing anything either.

OP
C

chs200123

Reaction score
Since there is no such thing as a phone without carrier-crippled ROMS or OEM lockdown (Motorolla),

What gave you that idea? Im pretty sure the htc phones are neither at the moment. I havent heard of Samsung doing anything either.

Lol. Every phone except the original nexus has been crippled in some manner. Its usually vzw that suppresses features. If it isn't GPS, its a Bluetooth a2dp profile. If it isn't something to do with Bluetooth its wifi teathering locks. If not wifi then rom's are locked. Ur either new to smartphone world or haven't realized the artificial suppression that's gone with virtually every phone that has hit the market since 2003ish.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I am understanding HTC is considering locking bootloaders.....so......let's hope that was all fluff but if not it appears that Moto (who is unlocking bootloaders in 2011 devices) and HTC are swapping spots.

OP
C

chs200123

Reaction score
And I was asking what features will be locked. Not stating what is going to be locked. Here is another example of artificial suppression. Without using gmans real HDMI, its impossible to use the HDMI port on Droid x for anything useful. That's because it was suppressed with all kinds of locks that block using HDMI for real videos _ like streaming movies.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

googlelover

Reaction score
Misinformed poster is misinformed?
Samsungs devices, even on verizon, have unlocked bootloaders that you can install custom roms on and fix/unlock any hardware problems, verizon also had the Moto droid, still considered to be one of the most dev friendly phones minus the nexus line. The Eris and Inc. also had unlocked bootloaders. HTC may lock their bootloaders but seem undecisive on that. (not sure about the inc. 2 as I haven't followed the phone) As far as what will be locked on the Droid X2 (not the droid dx2... D of DX2 stands for droid...) it may just be the bootloader, HDMI mirroring works on the Atrix, uncrippled as far as I know, and should be the same on the DX2. DX2 will also have Motoblur and bloatware if you consider that part of crippling the phone. Verizon may have crippled smartphones pre-android, and even taken a feature off of android phones, but so far all have had GPS and bluetooth and everything else fully enabled. Wifi tethering shouldn't be expected to be enabled without payment as no carrier allows this. If you don't like how verizon treats the software on their phones simply root and, depending on your phone, throw on a custom rom!
Edit: Just remembered even motorola is looking into unlockable bootloaders, or so they somewhat claimed..

Last edited: