Droid Don't need protective film???

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by password_droid, Jan 25, 2010.

1. password_droid

password_droid New Member

Went to a Verizon Store today looking for protective film. Worker said its not necessary cause the glass has a scratch resisted thingy. is this true???
  2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

User preference. I use one because I like the feel it give the screen and it actually looks better (clearer and more defined w/less glare). The screen is NOT scratch proof or especially resilient as MANY users have found out. Steel keys, key rings and sand can all EASILY scratch the surface (again, as many on here have found). So it's up to you. Personally a little extra protection never hurts (especially if it adds to the experience). If you do choose to use one get a good (high quality) one and not the cheap ones.
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Gorilla Glass is what the Droid's screen is. Google it... there's some interesting videos.
    It is a personal preference to have the protector. No hard feelings either way.
  4. choklitcow

choklitcow New Member

This is why I chose to get one. Had a lot more friction without it. As mentioned though it seems to be user preference. Ive seen videos of people taking keys to the screen to show how strong it is, yet I've also seen people's screens scratched by extremely accidental and mildly delicate means.
  5. thebourbonnflip

thebourbonnflip New Member

6. password_droid

password_droid New Member

Good Stuff guys thanks...
  7. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Gorilla or not - I prefer to stick (pun intended) with protection. In my line of work (cabinet shop) my Droid is susceptible to all kinds of abuse, including paint, thinners, stains etc.. Besides protection from abrasion and scratches - swapping out a stained or paint soiled screen protector is much easier than applying a solvent to the glass. I'm wary of how well sealed the glass is, and would not want a solvent to penetrate under the glass. And according to all the reports here of dust under the glass, I'd say my fears are well founded.

If I didn't work in this environment, I probably would not use the shields.. cuskit
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

The screen is scratch resistant. It is not, however, scratch proof. Be aware that there is a significant difference in the meaning of these terms. Whether or not you want to use a screen protector is a judgment call that you need to make for yourself. I suggest reading the countless screen/scratch/protector threads.

...and never, ever take a sales rep's word on anything. I don't care who the carrier is. Do your own homework.
  9. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

+1 for you also. Those are very good points.

I use my screen protector more for oily fingers and the what nots that i'd rather have on the screen protector then the actual glass of the screen.
  10. dieselpowered

dieselpowered New Member

I spend a lot of time in the desert and in the dunes...the screen WILL scratch. Currently I have a Steinheil protector on mine...great product with stupid fast shipping, however, it has already been scratched. The ONLY product I have used that has never scratched is the Invisible Shield...a lot of people do not like the finish of the Invisible Shield, however, I will be going back to it. The only thing I do not like about it is using liquid to install.
  11. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Are you saying you need a beer before putting this on? ;)

Seriously - I agree with you - it's probably the best one on the market. I'm going back to it after my third Motorola film. cuskit
Search tags for this page
do you really need a protective film on your droid phone scr
galaxy s3 protective film necessary?
is a protective film on your droid phone screen necessary
protection film on android phone
protective film for android droid
protective film for droid x2

protective sheet for droid ii