Droid Doesn't? Why?

Codiusprie

Reaction score
"The first app I downloaded was a Task Killer, which I used to shut down all of the running apps (more than 20) that were starting by default on this phone, including Skype, which I don’t use. But within a minute or two, all of those apps restarted themselves. Gee, thanks, Verizon."

I stopped reading about right here, not really sure what he said after that but his complaints were pretty valid (save for the confusing nature of the OS, if you have ever played with smart phone or know how to use Google it is pretty easy to figure out Android) but someone (especially a reviewer) who doesn't educate themselves enough on the product to know that task killers are pointless and those "more than 20" apps that were running were having no effect on his phones battery life or phone performance is not qualified to review smart phones. to review phones.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I personally hate the Droid X. I think its a giant black brick. I dont understand why it had to be so huge and once I got to messing with it I hated it even more.

Oh, and I have a personal preference of having a physical keyboard.
Funny...I played with the X at the local corporate store, and one of the sales associates said "Sir, if you keep drooling on it like that, we may require you to purchase it." And fwiw I would seriously consider homicide if anyone took my D1 physical keyboard away.

BTW, don't hear the Samsung Epic discussed here much. When I saw a friend's, I told him: "Hey, gorgeous screen. At least my Droid has a physical keyboard." Then he whipped his keyboard out, and I ate 2.7 pounds of crow. A seriously nice phone, and he gets pretty good signal in our dinky town with it. Go figure.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Someone (especially a reviewer) who doesn't educate themselves enough on the product to know that task killers are pointless and those "more than 20" apps that were running were having no effect on his phones battery life or phone performance is not qualified to review smart phones.
I'm always wary of "shoot-the-messenger" attacks on tech reviewers, but that was awesome. I'm afraid I totally agree.

-Matt

NVash

Reaction score
I understand your point of not being able to access the internet or the market on android phones at the kiosk or stores. I was faced with the same problem when making the decision on upgrading to the Droid X. However, this phone is tough to hate. I didn't like the original droid when it first came out and took the Eris over it. My feelings quickly changed once I purchased the phone. I bet you would feel different if you owned the Droid X.
Maybe, but I have the original Droid and am quite content with that. I just go mess around with the new ones once in awhile to see if I want to upgrade. Without the physical keyboard Im not interested. And I also wanted MotoBlur which it did not have, another reason I dont want it. Ill just keep watching what Droids they put out. Im not due for an upgrade for awhile anyway.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Coming from an iPhone to the Droid X it was odd that Verizon and a few people at work said it needed the Task Killer installed. If its not needed and it doesnt increase performance it should be removed from the Market.

The review was crappy , the guy didnt even go enough in depth for my tase. And BTW I still like iOS better than Android :p

I like a Phone that Just works Out of the Box. While the X did that to some degree it wasnt as User friendly as the X is.

I wont even go into the Automatic 2.2 upgrade that has completely hosed the Camera App :icon_evil:

Rindaen

Reaction score
Bah no Edit here...Meant to say.

I like a Phone that Just works Out of the Box. While the X did that to some degree it wasnt as User friendly as iOS is.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bah no Edit here...Meant to say.

I like a Phone that Just works Out of the Box. While the X did that to some degree it wasnt as User friendly as iOS is.

Got the D1 and the D2. Both worked great out of the box. Did that mean I didn't have a lot to learn? No, but it wasn't rocket science either. X and D2 are close cousins, I don't think X is anymore difficult to learn.