Droid Dock Hack

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by m0nkee, Nov 8, 2009.

1. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol. I couldn't see myself using this. Glad I bought the official Dock.

I suppose if your on a really cheap budget you could do this, but with a 500% phone maybe you guys should think about why you have such an expensive phone if you can afford the dock?

I would use an app to spawn the screen before I resorted to this.

2. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X
    Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Who said anything about not being able too afford a dock? I'm a DIY Guy and the retail dock is not what I'm wanting. I just built one real quick to see how I would do the final version. The next version will have built in lithium ion battery, external battery charger for 2nd Droid battery, and normal dock function like the retail version. The main body will be the same 1" insulation foam, wrapped in fiberglass.

Now if one of these come out next week ill buy one. But I doubt it. Ill just make one :D

I did buy the car dock though and the belt clip, I just didn't think the bedside dock was worth it.

3. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If your able to pump a professional looking product out, and be able to fit the phone in it while having one of those hard plastic cases on it, id even buy one from you :)

But lets see how well you can actually make it, and give us some pictures. I'll be interested when I see the actual work.

4. nite 0wl

nite 0wl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For most of us this isn't about not laying out the $30 for the "official" dock, it's about figuring out how to make one that does more than the retail one or about just bein able to make one ourselves. I bought the Motorola dock myself (spending two days calling and going to various stores in my city) and I use it all the time but, I made a dock made one myself just to prove to myself that I could.

5. Poomwah

Poomwah New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about making our own docks, making your own makes it more yours than buying it

6. DroidMastar

DroidMastar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the lamest ish i have ever heard... I work hard every day for the money I make. When I spend money for something it's money that I earned. And that's what makes why I buy mine just as much as if i made it myself. I don't see how constructing a (in most cases a makeshift) dock, can make it "more yours" than purchasing one with hard earned cash. But i guess it's your opinion... :p

7. Poomwah

Poomwah New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, its about creativity and expression. Its like restoring a car or modifying it yourself as opposed to buying a car that's already done. One shows ingenuity, creativity, and perseverence. The other just shows you have money. You can buy a piece of art and you legally own it, but its somebody elses work and always will be. If you create that piece of art its always yours.

8. knightshade

knightshade Member

Ratings:
    +1

The issue that I see is that the dock's design doesn't allow for the shell..
    I honestly can't see myself snapping it on and off every day,
    so I'll need to do something else for the dock....

For myself - I play with Vacuum forming as a hobby....
    That could lead to an interesting custom dock when I find the time.

9. Poomwah

Poomwah New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a great point, I also wouldn't want to "unsheath" my droid every time I put it in thr dock. That's why I am going to wait to make mine until I decide on which case I want. That also gives me time to decide if I want to put speakers in it too lol

10. rotor george

rotor george New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dockrunner

Just install dockrunner and be done with it.

11. BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had some spare time at lunch, so I felt inspired and made a dock out of some stuff here at my desk:

[​IMG]

The foam holder is a car cup holder cell phone holder insert. Magnet was laying around. Cut a slit with a razor and punched a hole in the back with a pencil for the USB cable. Bam.

Here is a (crappy) pic of my Droid in the dock:
    [​IMG]

Next project will be to make a more permanent one for the home

EDIT:

Made this out of an old box and a magnet I stripped from an old cell phone case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to make something more permanent soon, but this will suffice for now

#47 BrooklynDROID, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  12. modmadmikee

modmadmikee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think ill take out my woodworking skills and use my scroll saw to make an awesome oak dock and stain it so it looks like a 300$ accessory :)

Search tags for this page

adroid dock hack

android dock hack

droid docking station usb hacks

hack cellphone with magnet

hacking a iphone dock for android

wood droid razr m dock