Droid dock and accuweather

type1fan

Reaction score
I did a quick scan on the forums and didn't see this anywhere so i apologize in advance if this has been posted before. I was wondering if, since when you place the Droid in the home cradle, you get weather for your area by way of Accuweather. Does that mean there is an accuweather app running in the background? If so, is there anyway to access it so I don't have to install a second app for weather to view it on my home screen?

REMilk

Reaction score
Weather Apps

There is no reason not to put a weather application on your phone, there are several to choose from depending on your needs.

I use Weatherbug. I travel a lot and like the ability for the Droid to get the weather info based on my location. Many weather apps have this ability.

Enjoy the Droid!

Bob

OP
T

type1fan

Reaction score
I am running Weatherbug but if I didn't HAVE to have an additional app, I'd rather not. So I'm guessing the answer to my initial question is no.

REMilk

Reaction score
This differs from your original post where you talked about accuweather while in the cradle. I am confused, exactly what is your question?

Droid101

Reaction score
I have the home cradle accuweather is the default I do not believe you can change that. But when it isn't in the cradle you can have any other weather app running

OP
T

type1fan

Reaction score
My question is pretty simple, is there a way to run the (apparently already installed) accuweather app that shows when the Droid is in the cradle, when it's not in the cradle? I am running Weatherbug when my Droid is not docked but if Accuweather is already installed on it, I'd rather just use one app. Sorry if you can't understand what I'm asking, I'm making it as simple as I can.

Droid101

Reaction score
My question is pretty simple, is there a way to run the (apparently already installed) accuweather app that shows when the Droid is in the cradle, when it's not in the cradle? I am running Weatherbug when my Droid is not docked but if Accuweather is already installed on it, I'd rather just use one app. Sorry if you can't understand what I'm asking, I'm making it as simple as I can.

Yes if you go to the android market you can download the Accuweather app and there is also an accuweather widget in the market. But it is NOT preinstalled on the phone it is just default on the Dock. SO all you have to do is download it through the market and you will have it:)

linkish

Reaction score
No, look people,

you're missing the point of the question completely.

Within the multimedia dock app (the one that automagically takes over when you put the phone in the cradle), the phone is able to retrieve weather info from Accuweather. The OP is asking whether you can just use that functionality outside of the dock to view the weather, without having to download anything from the Market.

Anyhow. Type1fan, to answer your question: I don't believe you can, no. Why, I have no idea; it strikes me as faintly ridiculous that they have built-in weather functionality that you can only use in one limited scenario. If I had to hazard a rough guess, I'd say it's because they want the competition and diversity in the Android Market. Hope I've answered this to your satisfaction.

Droid101

Reaction score
you're missing the point of the question completely.

Within the multimedia dock app (the one that automagically takes over when you put the phone in the cradle), the phone is able to retrieve weather info from Accuweather. The OP is asking whether you can just use that functionality outside of the dock to view the weather, without having to download anything from the Market.

Anyhow. Type1fan, to answer your question: I don't believe you can, no. Why, I have no idea; it strikes me as faintly ridiculous that they have built-in weather functionality that you can only use in one limited scenario. If I had to hazard a rough guess, I'd say it's because they want the competition and diversity in the Android Market. Hope I've answered this to your satisfaction.

Thats what I said I said that you have to go through the market and it wasn't preinstalled in the phone.

OP
T

type1fan

Reaction score
Thank you

Linkish hit what I was asking right on the head and thank you for the response. I, too, think it's silly that you can access weather in the dock without installing anything but you have to install a separate app to view it outside of the dock. It's not really a problem but I like to keep as few apps installed in my devices as necessary. Extra clutter tends to slow down efficiency in most cases (at least to me). I have used dock runner to simulate the dock but that's still an additional app.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
What is even stranger is that the 2.1 news/weather genie (from google) uses weather channel to get it's info.

OP
T

type1fan

Reaction score
One more thing, if the Accuweather app is not installed on the phone in anyway, shape or form, how does it run when the Droid is in the dock? :motdroidhoriz:

RichStevenson

Reaction score
One more thing, if the Accuweather app is not installed on the phone in anyway, shape or form, how does it run when the Droid is in the dock? :motdroidhoriz:

The Dock.apk, which is the app the runs when you're docked, contains the code to pull the weather from the weather channel. So its a dock/weather app if that makes sense.