Droid DNA Battery Life?

joeymoose

Reaction score
In my opinion, if your phone makes it threw the day and you only have to charge it at night its a winner. My previous phone what drain the battery so fast and get hot it wouldn't even make it through a 6 hours on STANDBY! My best results so far is 21hours.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
I just did a little battery test comparing the DNA to my Razr Maxx. Charged both overnight so both were fully charged then turned on Wifi and set brightness to max as well. I then played a 2hr. Netflix movie on both(same movie). Results are.... DNA battery is at 55% Razr Maxx battery is at 83%

The Razr Maxx has been sold as having exceptional battery life since its inception.

Your comparison isn't really fair.

It's like comparing a Prius with a Ferrari. The Prius obviously will get better fuel economy. But the Ferrari has a much higher cool factor.

Which is better? Depends entirely on your priorities.

But back to phones... If your main concern is battery life, then the DNA may not be the best choice for you. But for most people, the battery in the DNA should be just fine. Most people will be able to make it through their work day, whatever that may entail, and still have juice left over at the end of the day. And then all of us will charge it over night and start all over again...

Personally I am more than satisfied with my phone's battery performance so far.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Razr Maxx has been sold as having exceptional battery life since its inception.

Your comparison isn't really fair.

It's like comparing a Prius with a Ferrari. The Prius obviously will get better fuel economy. But the Ferrari has a much higher cool factor.

Which is better? Depends entirely on your priorities.

But back to phones... If your main concern is battery life, then the DNA may not be the best choice for you. But for most people, the battery in the DNA should be just fine. Most people will be able to make it through their work day, whatever that may entail, and still have juice left over at the end of the day. And then all of us will charge it over night and start all over again...

Personally I am more than satisfied with my phone's battery performance so far.

I don't think the DNA vs. Maxx was a "My Maxx can beat your DNA" comparison, but just posted for a point of reference. I think everyone knows that the Maxx is still the king of battery life, but the real question is: Is the DNA battery life good enough for what you need?
Having a comparison to the Maxx may help some people decide. Looks to me like the DNA may have great battery life for the screen size and size of the battery.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
I don't think the DNA vs. Maxx was a "My Maxx can beat your DNA" comparison, but just posted for a point of reference. I think everyone knows that the Maxx is still the king of battery life, but the real question is: Is the DNA battery life good enough for what you need?
Having a comparison to the Maxx may help some people decide. Looks to me like the DNA may have great battery life for the screen size and size of the battery.

I agree, I think the DNA has exemplary battery life given the hardware configuration. It appears that most people's concerns about the size of the battery were unfounded.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree, I think the DNA has exemplary battery life given the hardware configuration. It appears that most people's concerns about the size of the battery were unfounded.

I agree. It looks like this phone has amazing battery life considering the hardware configuration. I think most people that were/are nervous about battery life might have experiences that precipitate that fear. I got the HTC Thunderbolt on release day and had issues with mediocre/poor battery life. I have the Maxx now and it's the opposite end of the battery spectrum. There are certainly other examples of phones that burned us with great hardware, but poor battery life. It seems like HTC may have learned their lesson and tweaked things to maximize battery life.
It's an awesome looking phone, and seems to be living up to the high expectations.

heath223

Reaction score
Here's a couple shots, The bottom graph is CPU usage

Screenshot_2012-12-03-20-05-56.png

This one shows a charge fron 3% to full on the LG QI charger, looks like close to 6 Hrs.

Screenshot_2012-12-03-20-07-52.png

mindmachine

Reaction score
I am on my third day since last charging, thats 2 14 hr days and 4 hrs today for a total of 32 hrs on and still 39% still remaining. light usage but with 4g and wifi both turned on the whole time. some downloads of aps. and phone calls and emails.

Battery life amazing considering.

jeremy5807

Reaction score
Does only being able to use 3g affect battery life? I got my droid dna Saturday and where I live I can only access 3g. I unplug around 7 and I'm having to charge around 1 in the afternoon at school, not really much better than the droid 2 I came from. I use Twitter and have 1 email account synced. Occasional facebook use and 30-40 texts a day. Nothing high use like streaming video or anything. I feel like this should be a little better. Love the phone and os. Also love sense. But if the battery doesn't get better, it may be going back! :frown:

rob1459

Reaction score
I left the maxx for my DNA, after a complete drain, and full recharge. I can get 10 hours, that's with some nav, phone calls, social meda and constant email from my office.

mindmachine

Reaction score
Does only being able to use 3g affect battery life? I got my droid dna Saturday and where I live I can only access 3g. I unplug around 7 and I'm having to charge around 1 in the afternoon at school, not really much better than the droid 2 I came from. I use Twitter and have 1 email account synced. Occasional facebook use and 30-40 texts a day. Nothing high use like streaming video or anything. I feel like this should be a little better. Love the phone and os. Also love sense. But if the battery doesn't get better, it may be going back! :frown:

If you are in a steel framed building and have a weak signal and the phone is constantly looking for 4g because the signal is weak than it is possible that is your problem. You battery should be lasting a lot longer than that. Screen on time is also a battery killer. If your posting a lot and leaving the screen on a lot then that is also a possible biggie too.

I was on 38 hrs yesterday with 29% battery left, with both wifi and 4g radios on at the same time over the 38 hr period. I am getting super battery life compared to my Samsung GNex. I could get 14 hrs in the same location with about 45% left and I recharged every night, now with the Droid DNA I only recharge every 3rd night. I get 3 14 hr days 42 hrs with 23% left, usually using wifi most of the time but getting emails, watching stock ticker, checking the market with an app and watching the weather radar a lot, and finally doing app updates.

Maybe your battery life will get better after you have it long enough to condition the battery to your style of usage. If I were you I would look at my usage to see if a program i installed was using an inordinate amount of the battery. Watch your battery usage meters and see where all the power is being used and primarily which app is using the most.

jeremy5807

Reaction score

If you are in a steel framed building and have a weak signal and the phone is constantly looking for 4g because the signal is weak than it is possible that is your problem. You battery should be lasting a lot longer than that. Screen on time is also a battery killer. If your posting a lot and leaving the screen on a lot then that is also a possible biggie too.

I was on 38 hrs yesterday with 29% battery left, with both wifi and 4g radios on at the same time over the 38 hr period. I am getting super battery life compared to my Samsung GNex. I could get 14 hrs in the same location with about 45% left and I recharged every night, now with the Droid DNA I only recharge every 3rd night. I get 3 14 hr days 42 hrs with 23% left, usually using wifi most of the time but getting emails, watching stock ticker, checking the market with an app and watching the weather radar a lot, and finally doing app updates.

Maybe your battery life will get better after you have it long enough to condition the battery to your style of usage. If I were you I would look at my usage to see if a program i installed was using an inordinate amount of the battery. Watch your battery usage meters and see where all the power is being used and primarily which app is using the most.
I am in a steel framed building. Right now I have 2 bars of 3g. I unpluged an hour and 25 minutes ago and I'm already on 79%. I was skeptical on getting it because of battery life and everyone's stellar reviews convinced me. I hope it gets better.

View attachment 58907

Reaction score
I left the maxx for my DNA, after a complete drain, and full recharge. I can get 10 hours, that's with some nav, phone calls, social meda and constant email from my office.

I'm debating between the two. Why did you leave the Maxx? I found the DNA to be screaming fast but the limited memory is a mental hurdle for me. Three days between charges is appealing though.

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.

yalerider

Reaction score
I just switched to the DNA from the gnexus. With gnex I couldn't make it to lunch before needing to charge it and with the DNA, I can make it all day... Its hard to break the habit of having to plug the phone in every time I'm near power... Plus 1 for the DNA...

txter

Reaction score
I came from the DROID 4 to the DNA. I still check to see if I need to plug in after heavy usage on my DNA and I keep getting reminded that this phone is awesome. I can't believe the his I can get out of this battery.