Droid DNA Battery Life?

Discussion in 'HTC Droid DNA' started by cereal killer, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I know it's subjective but how does everyone rate the overall battery life? There were a lot of complaints about the small battery but a majority of reviews are saying it's pretty decent. I'd like to hear from actual users. Thanks!
  2. mindmachine

mindmachine New Member

Just got it today and fully charged, since it been on 4.25 hrs setting things up and downloading aps on 4g in my house, lots of screen use, 76% battery still remaining.
  3. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

It was pretty poor, I could get through a day but only if I constantly pay attention to the battery and limit my usage.
  4. mindmachine

mindmachine New Member

Droid DNA Great battery life in my opinion!!

In my previous comment yesterday, that 4 1/4 hours ( 24% battery consumed is only 5.6% per hr of heavy use )was with intensive use, screen on time close to two hours setting up the phone and downloading my apps and playing with speed test. During this time 4G was on the whole time and I live in a marginal signal area too boot. My Gnex battery even with the extended 2100 ma unit would have had only 30 or 40 % remaining in that same scenario doing the same tasks and especially with the screen on that much. Most smart phones with big screens don't do any way near that good, plus the screen was on bright the whole time.

I don't know what you other guys are doing to drain the battery so fast that you think it is bad. This thing has exceptional battery life in my opinion, and the battery hasn't even been conditioned yet. Once it is conditioned after a few days of recharging I expect it will even be better.

I expect in normal use I may get two days out of a single charge!!!

No actually better than great battery life, fantastic, beyond my greatest expectations!!

Remember this is a 5 inch screen and screen on time is usually the biggest battery drain and this screen apparently sips juice!!
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

Today will be my first full day of testing. But since it's a new toy I fully expect that my usage will be way above what will eventually be "normal".
  6. mindmachine

mindmachine New Member

Expecting truely great battery life!

So far today 3 1/4 hrs on time, very little screen usage, 17 app updates in the background over wifi, 11 emails recieved, battery still at 98%.
  7. mindmachine

mindmachine New Member

UPDATE!

8 hrs since full charge, 88% battery remaining, 17 aps updated on wifi, 2 hrs on 4g the other 6 on wifi, aprox 30 emails recieved none sent. Email notification light on a lot screen brightness up nice and bright but set on automatic. Some time spent playing with the phone but not a lot.
    At this rate of 1.5% discharge per hour it looks like the battery is going to last me about 2 and 1/2 days or 66 hrs.
  8. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

Way better than my HTC rezound. I get a minimum of 16 hours a charge with minimal use...
  9. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

OK, I was in new toy mode all day. Playing videos, installing apps, uninstalling apps, trying out the mobile hot spot, etc. Here are the results:

[​IMG]

All in all I'm pretty happy. I know that once life settles down and this becomes just a phone again, I'll be able to make it through a work shift and still have power to spare.
  10. Tiredretired

Tiredretired New Member

Hi all, first post here. Pleasure to be onboard.

I picked up my DNA friday coming from a T-bolt which I had good luck with and would have kept, but the 5" screen and form factor of the DNA sold me.:biggrin:

Anyhoo, in reference to the battery here is what I have seen so far. Firstly, the battery is not conditioned yet so things are only going to get better moving forward. Yesterday with 90% on the batt meter I streamed RedTails from HBO go via wi-fi, then 2 episodes of Game of Thrones. Total screen on time read 4 hours 29 minutes with 12% still on clock. Wi-fi, 4G on the whole time.

Recharged the phone and have used the phone sparingly today. 11 hours 20 minutes since unplug, 84%on clock, no calls made. Screen time 15 minutes. 4G and wi-fi on 100%. Downloaded 100 meg video via bluetooth from the mac.

Damn good for me so far.

Cheers, TR
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  11. mindmachine

mindmachine New Member

Battery update, 21 hrs

Just to update from yesterday, turned the phone off last night with 14 hrs on the battery and back on this morning , time on now 22 hrs (14 yesterday and 8 so far today) with 69% still remaining on the battery. Not a lot of use this morning but did receive 11 emails and viewed a few web pages and looked at the weather, radar and forecast. Played a little with a few phone settings. Not heavy use like yesterday but the battery has only been charged once so it still isn't fully conditioned yet either.

Looking like i may be able to go for 3 days without charging in between.
  12. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

2nd day, and this time, after 12 hours, I still have 47% left.

[​IMG]
  13. heath223

heath223 New Member

I just did a little battery test comparing the DNA to my Razr Maxx. Charged both overnight so both were fully charged then turned on Wifi and set brightness to max as well. I then played a 2hr. Netflix movie on both(same movie). Results are.... DNA battery is at 55% Razr Maxx battery is at 83%
  14. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

I wonder if the type of 3g tower has anything to do with the major discrepancies everyone is seeing with our different models/locations. If I remember right, Verizon bought out many carriers that weren't all 850/800 mhz, could the constant "hard hand off" between cdma towers impact battery life? I may be totally inaccurate here but I barely remember these things hehe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  15. jasper7821

jasper7821 New Member

Just got my new DNA and I'm very pleased with it.
    I played with it most of the day and it still had 35% after 10hrs.
    It would be nice if it had more battery time but it's fine.
    I work in a office all day so I can charge if needed.

View attachment 58779
  16. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

In my opinion, if your phone makes it threw the day and you only have to charge it at night its a winner. My previous phone what drain the battery so fast and get hot it wouldn't even make it through a 6 hours on STANDBY! My best results so far is 21hours.
  17. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

The Razr Maxx has been sold as having exceptional battery life since its inception.

Your comparison isn't really fair.

It's like comparing a Prius with a Ferrari. The Prius obviously will get better fuel economy. But the Ferrari has a much higher cool factor.

Which is better? Depends entirely on your priorities.

But back to phones... If your main concern is battery life, then the DNA may not be the best choice for you. But for most people, the battery in the DNA should be just fine. Most people will be able to make it through their work day, whatever that may entail, and still have juice left over at the end of the day. And then all of us will charge it over night and start all over again...

Personally I am more than satisfied with my phone's battery performance so far.
  18. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

I don't think the DNA vs. Maxx was a "My Maxx can beat your DNA" comparison, but just posted for a point of reference. I think everyone knows that the Maxx is still the king of battery life, but the real question is: Is the DNA battery life good enough for what you need?
    Having a comparison to the Maxx may help some people decide. Looks to me like the DNA may have great battery life for the screen size and size of the battery.
  19. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

I agree, I think the DNA has exemplary battery life given the hardware configuration. It appears that most people's concerns about the size of the battery were unfounded.
  20. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

I agree. It looks like this phone has amazing battery life considering the hardware configuration. I think most people that were/are nervous about battery life might have experiences that precipitate that fear. I got the HTC Thunderbolt on release day and had issues with mediocre/poor battery life. I have the Maxx now and it's the opposite end of the battery spectrum. There are certainly other examples of phones that burned us with great hardware, but poor battery life. It seems like HTC may have learned their lesson and tweaked things to maximize battery life.
    It's an awesome looking phone, and seems to be living up to the high expectations.
Search tags for this page
battery life of droid dna
battery life on htc dna
dna battery life
droid dna

droid dna battery life

droid dna battery saving tips
droid dna battery sucks
droid dna battery time
droid dna vs galaxy s3 battery life
htc dna battery life
htc dna battery life comparison