Droid Display > Incredible Display

gatorbait

Reaction score
The Droid's screen IS better than the Incredible, as far as resolution is concerned. Clarity of text and crispness of edges is superior on the Droid compared to the Incredible, but the Incredible out-performs the Droid on photo reproduction. So there are pros and cons to the Incredible's display. If we didn't have the Droid as a comparison point, the shortcomings of the Incredible's display may not be as easily noticeable, but when you have the Droid as a reference you can quickly tell that something is "off" about the Incredible's display.

Read the link and see pictures below: Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks (The Nexus One and the Droid Incredible use the same PenTile Pixel Matrix technology for their AMOLED screens.)

"There's no need sell your phone on eBay after reading this, and don't change your mind about purchasing a Nexus One until you've had a chance to see the screen yourself. You may not even notice or care about the text reproduction issue. Only when compared with an extremely high-res LCD screen like on the Droid are the text fuzziness comments truly noticeable—and that's a high standard to hold the screen to."

Droid LCD on the left; Incredible's AMOLED on the right:

samsung_oled_pentile_matrix_comparison.jpg

A close up view of the Incredible's screen with a drop of water magnifying the sub-pixel structure:

4328493070_c5bb8e069d.jpg

Last edited:

ctxx24

Reaction score
The Droid's screen IS better than the Incredible, as far as resolution is concerned. Clarity of text and crispness of edges is superior on the Droid compared to the Incredible, but the Incredible out-performs the Droid on photo reproduction. So there are pros and cons to the Incredible's display. If we didn't have the Droid as a comparison point, the shortcomings of the Incredible's display may not be as easily noticeable, but when you have the Droid as a reference you can quickly tell that something is "off" about the Incredible's display.

Read the link and see pictures below: Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

"There's no need sell your phone on eBay after reading this, and don't change your mind about purchasing a Nexus One until you've had a chance to see the screen yourself. You may not even notice or care about the text reproduction issue. Only when compared with an extremely high-res LCD screen like on the Droid are the text fuzziness comments truly noticeable—and that's a high standard to hold the screen to.

Droid LCD on the left; Incredible's AMOLED on the right:

samsung_oled_pentile_matrix_comparison.jpg

A close up view of the Incredible's screen with a drop of water magnifying the sub-pixel structure:

4328493070_c5bb8e069d.jpg

About the 5th thread like this i have read today....:clap:

OP
G

gatorbait

Reaction score
About the 5th thread like this i have read today....:clap:

I did not see one like this posted on here. Am I mistaken? I just wanted to help clear up some of the subjective arguments I'm seeing over the two displays.

cplus

Reaction score
Very nice. Quite informative. I havn't seen this information in any other thread yet. If I come up with any good scientific input, I will post here.

@ctxx24- AND you post is like the millionth I've seen JUST LIKE IT across many informative threads. But ok, thanks for your contribution?

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea I haven't seen any other threads like this at all. And despite the completely worthless comment made ctxx24, this is actually quite interesting. Good stuff

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I might as well chime in and say this is the first topic I seen on here like this too....thanks. If it was there was no comparison pics like whats posted.

What about a close-up of the Droid like that too? I will say this: I have seen people not get specific Hi Def TV's because of the screen. I know a TV is not the same thing as a phone, but still. Like I never look at videos on my old smartphone until I got my Droid. I love it on the Droid.

Last edited:

ctxx24

Reaction score
Do you just come to this board???? i dont..did i say on this board no i didnt..

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Cool info. Thanks.

Also let the phone wars begin.

jasonb

Reaction score
anybody notice how much LESS power the Incredible's screen uses though? i had my screen on for 1/4th the time the phone has been powered on and the display used up only 10% of the battery consumption. on my droid the display was always on the top of the list, and usually by quite a margin.

i did notice text isn't quite as crisp, but it's still perfectly readable.

OP
G

gatorbait

Reaction score
Do you just come to this board???? i dont..did i say on this board no i didnt..
I basically only come to this board for phone information, yes. Whether or not similar information was posted elsewhere is irrelevant to the purposes of this board.

bcrigler

Reaction score
OLED>LCD... It's a fact. And I had both phones and my wife still has the moto droid. Droid Incredible's display is insane. Sorry...

bcrigler

Reaction score
OLEDs can enable a greater artificial contrast ratio (both dynamic range and static, measured in purely dark conditions) and viewing angle compared to LCDs because OLED pixels directly emit light. OLED pixel colours appear correct and unshifted, even as the viewing angle approaches 90 degrees from normal. LCDs filter the light emitted from a backlight, allowing a small fraction of light through so they cannot show true black, while an inactive OLED element produces no light and consumes no power.
OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of a 1ms response time or less[47] offering a frame rate of 1,000 Hz or higher, an OLED can theoretically have less than 0.01 ms response time enabling 100,000 Hz refresh rates.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Very interesting info. Now if the droid could just develop the ability to use the battery efficiently.

cplus

Reaction score
OLEDs can enable a greater artificial contrast ratio (both dynamic range and static, measured in purely dark conditions) and viewing angle compared to LCDs because OLED pixels directly emit light. OLED pixel colours appear correct and unshifted, even as the viewing angle approaches 90 degrees from normal. LCDs filter the light emitted from a backlight, allowing a small fraction of light through so they cannot show true black, while an inactive OLED element produces no light and consumes no power.
OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of a 1ms response time or less[47] offering a frame rate of 1,000 Hz or higher, an OLED can theoretically have less than 0.01 ms response time enabling 100,000 Hz refresh rates.

This is seems like great info on paper but at the end of the day with the two screens side by side you would have to do serious mental gymnasitics to think the Inc. screen looks better. Oh well..