Droid Development on Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Null Pointer, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Null Pointer

Null Pointer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can imagine my frustration when I downloaded everything to program a droid app, when I realized the reason I couldn't make an AVD was because I was running windows 7. If you guys on here have a way to create on on Win. 7, That would help a ton. If not, can you point me to a suggestions forum?

Thanks, \0*

2. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Run another os in a virtual machine.

Personally I use VirtualBox, but there are others out there.

3. Null Pointer

Null Pointer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If that's the only way.. Okai.

Thanks, \0*

4. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick google search shows it has something to do with they way windows 7 sets up user accounts.

One post was really spotty english so hard to follow but it said to set your sdk in c:\username\sdk insteadof the default c:\documents and settings\username\ format.

Makes sense because windows is the only os that allows spaces.

5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah... HUH???
    Runs fine for me. I didn't have to do anything special (but you DO have to check the box labeled “Force https://… sources to be fetched using http:/" for the installation).
    Windows 7 64 bit

What is it doing when you try to run it??

Edit: and yes, that's a 2.1 device, but I've used 2.0.1 before as well. Also this laptop is Home edition (or whatever) but the desktop is Ultimate Edition and it runs fine on that machine too (both are 64bit though that shouldn't make a difference).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  6. Null Pointer

Null Pointer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everything installs correclty until I have to create an AVD for the emulator. Then, it says I don't have the correct Java installed (Which I do), and it reccomends that I look here : System Requirements | Android Developers Where I saw that it doesn't allow the support of Win. 7. If I have to, I can go through the process again and give you exactly what it yells at me.

7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Huh, interesting. I don't even have the JDK installed (just JRE 6)... I'm not running in compatibility or anything so this odd (actually last night was the first/only time I ran the SDK on this machine since I redid my Win7 install, clean wipe so I know there's nothing left that would be effecting it). Started up fine (well, took FOREVER as it always does the first time).

What version of Win7 are you running? What kind of system? Got to be something small being overlooked. Runs fine on both my Win7 Machines (again, oddly neither of them have the JDK, just JRE6).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  8. Null Pointer

Null Pointer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try just installing JRE 5 and se where it gets me.

9. doug piston

doug piston Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    you can do as i and dual boot with ubuntu. kinda a pain to get setup but i really like the new os compared to windows. never log onto windows anymore

10. Dmoralize

Dmoralize Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also running Win7 64bit and have everything working fine. It's been a few months since I set it up and I do recall running into a few issues but I honestly don't remember how I resolved them. I'd have to wait til I get home and check my setup.

I know it's working too as I even created a few basic programs just screwing around. If I get a chance later tonight i'll go back through my setup and post my results in here.

11. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was on the android sdk download page last night and noticed a new update marked March 2010, noted in the changes is improvements for windows 7 .

- Fixes issue with 64-bit JVM on Windows

So wouldn't hurt to check and make sure you have the current version.

12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That new one might be the issue. Mine are from back in January (Revision 5). I didn't bother to d/l the new one after my reinstall last week just pulled from my backup and it still works. Odd, but not surprising.

13. mjones1052

mjones1052 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Running win7 x64 as well, and I've been able to make apps, AVD's, use all the command line tools, etc. I just had to put some environmental variables in myself because Java and the SDK didn't seem to wanna do it. But I have Netbeans, JCreator, Eclipse, Google Webkit, Google Apps Engine, even Droiddraw works for me. Not really sure where your running in to a problem, but it seems something is messed up on your end.

Try googling Java environmental variables and it will give you the 2 things you need. In your PATH you need a path to the JRE and the SDK/tools folder, and in CLASSPATH I believe you need the JRE as well.

Worst case, you can always run a Ubuntu 9.10 virtual machine and do that. I think what you may be looking at is writing the OS from source, which does require Linux, but not the app creation part.