Droid Desire Rom - hints and tips to help make it a daily driver!

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Erron, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

I know there are a good amount of posts regarding this rom. But I haven't seen any yet that will help most of us out in using this on the daily. Let's start with the link to the rom:

X2 released! Much faster, no FC's as of now. Auto swap enabled.

http://artpecht.net/alldroid/xtwopastsetup-BDS-20100331-0223.rar
    Thanks to kcp2ll on alldroid for the web hosting

You can download the nandroid there. Now lets get into some tips. When restoring this, you must data and cache wipe. Other than this, it's a pretty straight forward deal. This is a nandroid with the setup surpassed. A lot of ppl were freezing out at setup.

ISSUE: Phone calls not working
    If you are on wifi, calls work as they should.
    If you go to widgets, settings, mobile network it will add a switch to your screen. When it is on, your data will work. Incoming calls will not. Outgoing calls will. Text messages will. When it is off(down) data will not work, incoming and outgoing calls and text messages will work.

If you are like me and want to conserve battery life, you turn wifi off when you leave an area where you don't have it. Hitting this switch is just as easy. So heres how to manage this:

On wifi, leave switch on. If you don't care about incoming calls, leave switch on. If you want incoming calls turn switch off. It's not that difficult. If you leave it on, your voicemail still works. Furthermore, if you have google voice you will still get the text message, or email, or both of the voicemail even when incoming calls aren't working. I have wifi at work and at home so this is a very small issue for me. If im expecting a call while out I just turn the switch off. If not, people can text or leave a voicemail. That way I cann still call out and have data if needed.

ISSUE: Won't power off
    Go to market, get boot control widget. It's a dollar. You add this widget, hit it and have options to reboot, power down, revoery, or bootloader. They all work. So just consider that your new power button. If you are cheap you can shut it down manually in adb.

FIXED

ISSUE: FC's, loading screen when home is pressed, laggy flash

This has been fixed. But you need to partition your Sd card for the swap to enable. I will post some instructions soon on doing this. For now, follow the threads over at alldroid.

ISSUE: Cannot shut off wifi
    If you turn off wifi, it will not turn back on until you reboot. This will make battery drain higher for those of us who really like to control our power output. A fix is being worked on.

FIXED

ISSUE: Camera Freezing phone
    I knwo a lot of people had a problem when trying to take a pic, the phone would freeze. After using droidswap I do not have this issue. But it still does not save the pics correctly.

These are some of the major issues I can think of right now. Performing these tweaks I have been using it as my primary rom since Sun morning. It's fast and a lot fo the sens stuff is amazing. Flash is great! Copy/paste is much better than the stock droid copy/paste.

If ayone else has issues I can address let me know. I will add as needed. One of the dev's is saying the incredible rom is much faster and more stable. Hopefully they release that version soon. I take no credit as I am not the developer of this. Greek and his team are and deserve all credits!

Enjoy!
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

this is good help.
    i'm thinking about using the swap file, does it hurt my card over time?
  3. mudvayne

mudvayne New Member

cant get into super user mode.please help me

when i try to use droidswap or set cpu or ne thing that requires su .like if i press on the set cpu app it goes to a black screen and says set cpu and then to another black screen that says su request.and then it force closes.but before it forse closes.i cand do ne thing either .typing dont work nor does menu.same thing when i go to terminal emulator app and tr5y to type su there.it does same thing.please help me.by the way i love this rom. when its done i think everyone will use it . best so far.i think.sorry for this post i know it takes up alot of space but i never had this problem with ne other rom.i dont know if theres something diff that u do to get it to work.thanks to ne one that helps me
  4. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk New Member

still wondering how fast swap can hurt the sdcard...i'll do whatever to the phone, but id rather not risk messing up the sdcard...
  5. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

alright, i tried droidswap, and i have to say, it is so fast. even with my class2 card it speeds everything up so much. however, if it is going to hurt my card, then its not worth it and i will wait for the rom to just be fixed, but does anyone know if it will hurt my card? because it's really really nice
  6. stlcity

stlcity New Member

Guys I have tried the ROM and it is good with all its bugs. Cant wait for a more stable release. Quick Q though: have not found the HTC flip clock/weather widget under "add widgets" tab. How can I get it? Thanks
  7. Erron

Did you do a data and cache wipe twice before installing? Let's start there, I have a couple ideas on this.

Droidswap shouldn't cause damage to your card. It just writes to then deletes data often. A few other apps to the same thing. If you used it in a camera it would also do the same thing. I think sd cards are rated for 10,000 rewrites or something like this. Chances are you won't need droidswap very long anyway, so don't worry about using it too much. A newer kernel is being worked right now and may be released shortly. It will have a swap fix built in so you won't need droidswap. Don't forget to start droidswap every time you reboot!

If you go to widgets,clock itll cope up and show you the round first...but there are 5 options. Slide right a couple times and you will see the HTC flip clock style. If you aren't running droidswap this will FC on you, just be aware.
  8. JhankG

JhankG New Member

It actually will hurt your card eventually, we just don't know how long it will take.

Taken from wikipedia:

"Memory wear:
    Another limitation is that flash memory has a finite number of erase-write cycles. Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 write-erase-cycles, before the wear begins to deteriorate the integrity of the storage.[8] Micron Technology and Sun Microsystems announced an SLC flash memory chip rated for 1,000,000 write-erase-cycles on December 17, 2008.[9]
    The guaranteed cycle count may apply only to block zero (as is the case with TSOP NAND parts), or to all blocks (as in NOR). This effect is partially offset in some chip firmware or file system drivers by counting the writes and dynamically remapping blocks in order to spread write operations between sectors; this technique is called wear levelling. Another approach is to perform write verification and remapping to spare sectors in case of write failure, a technique called Bad Block Management (BBM). For portable consumer devices, these wearout management techniques typically extend the life of the flash memory beyond the life of the device itself, and some data loss may be acceptable in these applications. For high reliability data storage, however, it is not advisable to use flash memory that would have to go through a large number of programming cycles. This limitation is meaningless for 'read-only' applications such as thin clients and routers, which are only programmed once or at most a few times during their lifetime."
  9. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk New Member

i havent gotten one force close on the flip clock widget without swap...a white box will show up where the weather picture is for a couple seconds every once in a while, but it works perfectly other than that.
  10. Erron

Well good stuff! I know it was Fc'ing on me like crazy before I swapped. The weather animations when pressed would die. Maybe I had too many widgets going, who knows. But I knwo it runs much better now!
  11. Erron

Just an update for everyone...they updated this rom yesterday with GPS working, a swap built in(you have to enable it), 1000mhz, wifi turns off and on now!
  12. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

I've been thinking about that. Does it have a safe mount/unmount in it too? Like if you mount sd card, will swap unmount first? And will swap remount after sd is unmounted from computer?
  13. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i was using x1a from the day it came out, and droidswap made the phone extremely unpleasant to use most of the time. for like an hour after rebooting it would be really quick, but after that i would have to restart droidswap or it would practically not even work. i cant imaging relying on droidswap for the entire thing to work, so i will wait for a better release
  14. Erron

with x1b, they have enabled swapping into the kernel. You can turn the swap on in adb shell and it makes the rom run amazingly fast. Just thought I would let you know.

If you need some help running the script let me know.
  15. DroidFamily

DroidFamily New Member

need help running the script please help.
  16. DroidFamily

DroidFamily New Member

so i load xb and it gets all the way to the lock screen and i have adb open just don't know what to write. Everything i try doesn't work
  17. Erron

You have adb open on your puter right, not on the droid?
  18. DroidFamily

DroidFamily New Member

yeah computer
  19. Erron

ok when the droid powers up and is on home screen and sd card mounted to phone open command promt
    type: adb shell
    itll turn to a # symbol
    next type su
    itll give u super user.
    Then enter the script one line at a time. after the first it might tell u files not found..thats fine. Then the second may take a min or two to work. When it does itll tell you the swap was created. Then enter the third. You should be set
  20. DroidFamily

DroidFamily New Member

how you do you enter it again after boots.... do i have to hook to computer again or just from handset