Droid custom ROM bugs / expectations

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tkstock, May 6, 2010.

1. tkstock

tkstock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in a sticky, which may be the wrong place if I expected an answer, so here it is again:

When I see some of the "added" features in custom ROMS (such as those listed in Bugless Beast) appear to be features currently in the stock ROM, I wonder what features are not in the custom ROMs? And what stock features have bugs introduced because of the customization? For example, I read a post from someone who was happy with the custom ROM because the animated background hadn't caused their phone to crash "in over a day". I've not had any issues with crashing at all. What sacrifices will I have to make when flashing a custom ROM or kernel?

I guess I've decided I want root access so I can overclock and potentially do backups and maybe some theme changes, but I like the functionality of the stock ROM and all of its features and don't want to sacrifice any of them. So, my questions are this:

1) Does changing the kernel introduce the potential for bugs in the ROM or any installable applications that wouldn't exist with the stock kernel?
    2) Would installing the O/C kernel cause any incompatibilities in the ROM or installed applications?
    3) Would the kernel potentially be replaced by OTA updates?
    4) Is there a custom ROM with all the features of the stock ROM + root access + other cool features?

While I am a software developer (I even developed one very small app for personal use for the Moto Droid), I don't have a lot of experience with Linux.

Finally, what is your personal favorite custom ROM?

Thanks for any input!

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    At the time when those features were added to custom ROMs, they were not available in the stock ROM. Looking at the latest Bugless Beast release notes (v1.0), I don't see anything listed that is already in the stock ROM. Perhaps you are looking at an old version?

Some themes introduce bugs - if you make the status bar and notifications pull-down black with white text, some apps don't adhere to that and may look strange. Sometimes mods made to add features to messaging, email, or other apps add bugs (it's a work in progress). For the most part, everything stock works the same or better, however.

When was the post written and what ROM were they using? Before 2.1 was officially released (ESE81), custom ROMs were being hacked to add support for Live Wallpaper. It worked - but not perfectly. Some ROMs were better than others. Now that it's been added to stock, the custom ROMs are perfectly capable of it with no problems (anybody with crashing LiveWallpaper is probably either using a buggy LWP from the market or is running an old ROM).

Time, mostly. Once you've started down the path of modding your phone, it may well take over your life for awhile. You'll try different roms and kernels trying to find the perfect one.

No known bugs, but there is always the possibility that things will run differently on a replacement kernel vs the stock kernel. It's unlikely that the kernel would cause anything major or even noticeable, however.

No

Yeah. If you install a new kernel, it would be in your best interest not to accept an OTA update. If you do decide down the line to go back to using the OTA releases, you will want to first restore your phone to the stock configuration, including the kernel.

That's all of them! Just make sure you get something that is in current development, so that it will have the latest and greatest. Look for "Based on ESE81" in the description if you want to be completely sure.

I really some of the older Bugless Beast ROMs. The newest one is still a little shaky, but still a very nice choice, in my opinion.

3. tkstock

tkstock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm on my way... rooted my phone, currently doing TiBackup, will install a BB ROM shortly.

4. tkstock

tkstock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm liking the ROM / Kernel combo (ChevyNo1 + BB v0.9), however I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a more-recent version of BB? Were there some enhancements / bug fixes in anything newer? I should note that with fairly conservative use, my battery appears to be draining significantly faster.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. tkstock

tkstock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lo and behold my phone wouldn't come back from sleep. Couldn't power it back on (but it still had plenty of charge). Had to pull the battery to get it back on. I've had this happen once or twice with the stock 2.1 ROM, do not that worried... yet.