DROID connection to NAS music server

lars90274

Reaction score
Anyone with a suggestion for how to connect and play music off my NAS, i have my entire music library up there and used it with my Ipod and laptop. So, I can see and play individual songs using the ES File Explorer, but that is not a player. So is there a player that can connect to the NAS? or what is the solution?

flyinace

Reaction score
This has easily been my biggest disappointment using the droid. My Windows mobile 6.5 phone played all my videos/music stored on my NAS with no problem. As far as I can tell, there is no app that will browse the network then buffer video/music stored on a NAS. Instead everything needs to download completely before playing (That is so frustrating). I sure hope somebody can prove me wrong.

OP
L

lars90274

Reaction score
yes, still looking for the solution... it seems that there should be a way to get a player to use the ES File explorer?

alphabravo

Reaction score
The Subsonic app will stream from your home server.... is it missing some other functionality that you need?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

alphabravo

Reaction score
Ok it looks like it does not do video, only audio...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
L

lars90274

Reaction score
Subsonic

I will try to det it up again, but last I checked it could not connect with my NAS.

flyinace

Reaction score
I must admit that I can't believe there isn't more commotion over this topic. Being able to browse my entire network (via wifi or VPN) and play movies/mp3s no matter where they were located was great. I didn't have to go through the house and install a third party server on any of my computers. All I did was network enable everything and I was set! I was under the impression this was very common using winmobile 6.5.
I hate to say it but Android, while great in many ways, is lacking some very basic features. I've yet to hear whether the new windows phone will also be lacking native network streaming.

flyinace

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong, but all the suggestions here don't actually allow the Droid to connect directly to the NAS? They are more like middle-men. Did i mention this drives me nuts???

flyinace

Reaction score
Hi gilmourd. Yes I do have samba up and I am able to browse my network folders....However when it comes to playing the files on my NAS, the droid falls short of acceptable. It appears that the Droid downloads the entire file then plays it, rather than buffering then streaming. This is not a big deal for music since they only take a few seconds to download, but watching movies on the droid which are located on the NAS is a joke.